• Welcome to the Pipe Organ Forum! This is a part of the open community Magle International Music Forums focused on pipe organs (also known as "church organs"), organists, organ music and related topics.

This forum is intended to be a friendly place where technically advanced organists and beginners (or even non-organists) can feel comfortable having discussions and asking questions. We learn by reading and asking questions, and it is hoped that the beginners (or non-organists) will feel free to ask even the simplest questions, and that the more advanced organists will patiently answer these questions. On the other hand, we encourage complex, technical discussions of technique, music, organ-building, etc. The opinions and observations of a diverse group of people from around the world should prove to be interesting and stimulating to all of us.

As pipe organ discussions can sometimes become lively, it should be pointed out that this is an open forum. Statements made here are the opinion of the poster, and not necessarily that of the forum itself, its administrator, or its moderators.

In order to post a new topic - or reply to existing ones - you may join and become a member by clicking on Register New User. It's completely free and only requires a working email address (in order to confirm your registration - it will never be given away!). We strive to make this a friendly and informative forum for anyone interested in pipe organs and organ music.

(Note: If you wish to link to and promote your own website please read this thread first.)

Many kind regards
    smile.gif

Frederik Magle
    Administrator

Krummhorn
    Co-Administrator

"A Forest of Pipes"

Contratrombone64

Admiral of Fugues
The amazing organ at Los Angeles' Walt Disney Concert Hall, anyone heard it live and have some impressions? I note the OHS of the United States latest catalogue includes a reference to a book "A Forest of Pipes" by Jennifer Zobelein, anyone read this?

Simon Jansfort

Nope, dind't hear it, but there was an exclusive in Denmarks "middle-class-organist-paper" :) Looks great. I can't stop thinking that it looks like french fries! :) ... It's not really what I would call beautiful, but it definatly has some charisma, especially that the kids will catch. Then again, it might not be good to bring the impression of junkfood into organs ... but what do I know :)

Simon

Contratrombone64

Admiral of Fugues
French Fries could not have been further from my mind when I saw a picture ... the term forest of pipes seemed to sum it up best.

Soubasse

It's cerainly a unique design and I can't help wondering from a sound projection point-of-view, what the balance is like between certain of the ranks. I must admit, viewing the photo from a distance (ie, a monitor across the room), French Fries do come to mind!:grin: Nice one Simon!

Contratrombone64

Admiral of Fugues
I have now received my copy of the beautiful book "A Forest of Pipes" by Jennifer Zobelein concerning the building of this fabulous instrument. I gasped with delight when I opened it for two reasons: 1) the information is abundant and the pictures wonderful and 2) there is a CD in the back sleeve called "a tonal tour" ... I can't wait to get it home and listen to it.

I heartily recommend this (cheap) and beautifully produced publication to all Amercian organ enthusiasts.

Contratrombone64

Admiral of Fugues
Well - I've now been home and listened to the CD: it's marvellous with an interest comentary on the tonal design of the organ AND soom basic acoustical descriptions of organ pipes in general ... also, some fine organ playing with the LA Philharmonic, well worth the $25 odd I spent.