Request for Feedback on Pre-Release Demo

protos

Hello all,

The attached track is due to appear on an album by Protos in October. It has run the gauntlet of non-musical folk (family and friends) but this is its first critical outing amongst musical folk. It will only be posted here and to no other forum for the time being as I'm interested to hear how highly proficient musicians react to it.

The track is called Travels.

View attachment 315

Look forward to your feedback.

Best wishes
Rory

Andrew Roussak

Hi Rory,

now as I have listened to your piece for more than three times I can post my comments here. So, it's now my turn to be critical!;)

Composition. Great , and no critic points. 5/4 is cool, and it doesn't sound by any means too complex - well done. I ' ve managed it, to remember the melody from the very first listening. And the chord progressions are also great.

Keyboard Sounds / Arrangements. Surely every keyboard player / composer has his own favourite sounds. I would say I truly liked your choice, only what I would maybe do in a bit different way - I would try to put an emphasis on some sounds that are now trendy . These are good old Hammond patches and analog leads - the stuff which is now once again very popular first and foremost thanks to NI and other plug-ins; they sound really cool and bring more live to the recording, and the critics seems to like them, too.;)
Maybe I would also use the orchestra simulation software where you do use the synth strings ( f.e. as at 01:16 ).

Well, this is actually only a matter of taste , however, and not a critic - maybe you would find it useful somehow.

Now, if you would have declared the piece to be your solo work , then I would just end my post on this note ( once again saying :"Great work, Rory!! " :) ). But if you mean it to be a Protos stuff ( thus, of a band ), then I want to put here a question -

is it a final mix or are you still intending to add some tracks here? I do actually strongly miss the presence of the BAND in this recording - f.e., you have put a guitar lead sound ( 02:22 ) where a guitar solo is rather expected; other stuff ( power chords, drums, bass ) does sound for my ears rather programmed as recorded by live musicians. WHY?

This is more a question than a critic - I absolutely liked your composition, Rory, and with a BAND involved it could be a really great recording.

Hope you'll find it all useful -

best regards and good luck,
Andrew

protos

Andrew,

Thanks for the quality feedback.

Your comments about Hammond organ / synth strings are interesting. Parts are played by sampled strings, but at other times I've used synth strings because the sound was warmer. There is time to attend to this. We have another piece which features the organ heavily and if this is trendy it adds to the argument to put it first on the album, I think.

It is a 'solo' work, but we're going to include it on the band album. You are correct to spot the places that have - at the moment - been synthesised. Steve Anscombe (guitarist) will be replacing this will real guitar leads at the end of June. In July, I hope to get some real cello / bass / percussion added with the help of Nigel Rippon. This is an early demo to get feedback.

Your critique is much appreciated,

Best wishes
Rory

Andrew Roussak

Hi Rory -

thanks for THANKS!!! Great if it could help you somehow!

Well now, could you place the piece here one more time then after you make all these changes? Must be just wonderful , as I imagine it to myself - would be very pleased to listen to it once again!!

Best regards
Andrew

protos

Hi Rory -

thanks for THANKS!!! Great if it could help you somehow!

Well now, could you place the piece here one more time then after you make all these changes? Must be just wonderful , as I imagine it to myself - would be very pleased to listen to it once again!!

Best regards
Andrew

Andrew,

Certainly, I can place it here again. I imagine we'll use MySpace and SoundClick as the primary sites to give the new album pieces an airing....but always happy to post stuff here.

All the best
Rory