Something fascinating

Minnie

Banned
Hi!

I'm writing this thread actually because I'd like to share my happiness and enthusiasm, and I hope it's interesting for you to read...

In my country, Estonia, we have this traditions to have an important Singing Festival since 1869. in almost every four years. It's an open-air concert. People come to whether perform or just listen. Over 30 000 musicians come together to make music in smaller groups but also all together and they all wear our national clothes. When you see it it's really fascinating. There's one enormous stage originally meant for this festival.

Sometimes Estonians call themselves "the singing people", it's because we have always had this custom to come together and sing. Until 1991 we were under the Soviet Union and the period just before we became independent is called the Singing Revolution. This very same festival played a huge role in our history 'cause most of the songs that are performed are about our country and are very beautiful and kind of national, I guess. Nowadays it's just a very important part of who we are and a tradition that everybody loves. :)

And why I talk about it at all is that this year it's going to be too, on Sunday (1st July) to be specific. I've performed in two of them as a singer with my choir in my life. But this year I'm also going to play the piano with an orchestra (piano is just one instrument in a whole lot, not like a soloist) and I can't tell how proud I am that I have this chance and I'm so happy... today I had a rehearsal from 11am to 8pm and I'm exhausted but still very content. :D
I hope you'll forgive me my youth's enthusiasm and that it is interesting for you to read this thread...

Best wishes,

Maarja :wave:

rojo

(Ret)
That sounds great Minnie! Wish I could hear some of it. I hope someone will film it and post it at youtube...

I guess it`s happening right now, so too late for me to wish you good luck; hope you`re having fun! Looking forward to hearing about how it went!

Minnie

Banned
Oh, it went really well though for now I'm pretty tired because I had to stand and walk a lot during it. I didn't make any photographs or videos myself and I haven't yet had time to consult my friends who did.. but I found some videos in youtube which are from previous festival...
In the first one it's all the choirs singing together (the conductor's my favorite, he's so funny) and I'm also somewhere in the middle of the singers (as I took part of that festival as well).. the second video is the boys' and men's choirs singing.. hope you enjoy them :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPHqqZlTkjc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLeWNJnkGWI&mode=related&search=

And the songs are in Estonian of course. :smirk:

rojo

(Ret)
What a wonderful and amazing tradition; very moving. I bet it`s really something to be there. How many people attend?

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Hi Minnie,

Glad to hear everything went well for you at this festival. I think it's really wonderful to have such a great tradition ... and that Estonians refer to themselves as 'singing people' :clap: !!

Were there tryouts or auditions that you had to participate in before you were selected for the pianist in this concert?

Enjoyed the youtube links too ... thank you for sharing with the rest of the community, here.

Minnie

Banned
Hey!

First, sorry for the delay. I can't get online in summer very often as I stay in my country house.
No, I didn't have to take part of any tryout as there were only 2 players from the whole country and we just divided the pieces between us.
There were somewhere around 20 000 musicians and that makes more than 100 000 with the audience. It was really great.. I haven't seen so many people together before. :)
Best wishes,

Minnie

rojo

(Ret)
Hey Minnie!

Wow, that is a lot of people! Any youtube vids of the latest performance yet?

Hope you're enjoying summer at your country house. :)

(I still can't get over the beauty of your avatar, lol!)

rojo

(Ret)
Wow, that is a loooot of people! Looks like amazing fun. Thanks for sharing this! :) Have you spotted yourself in either of the videos?