what is a violincello?

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Violincello is also at times abbreviated to "cello" ... means the same, basically. The cello is the lowest sounding member of the violin family.

Interesting to note that the cello can also be played left-handed. I have yet to see this done, but I suppose it's possible.

tomato

Unless you are referring to an instrument I have never heard of before,
that should be "violoncello."

The string bass is a "violon," or "large viol."
The cello is a "violoncello," or "small large viol."
Yes, I know, that's an oxymoron.
"Cello" is an abbreviation.

Ironically, the viola, which is the most neglected member of the family, is the prototypical instrument in this nomenclature.
"Violin" means "small viol."

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Great information, Tomato ... thanks.

True about the Viola - a beautifully toned instrument.

Art Rock

Sr. Regulator
Staff member
Sr. Regulator
The cello is the lowest sounding member of the violin family.

Interesting - the double bass is not seen as a member of the violin family?

And by the way, the cello is one of my favourite instruments to listen to. Especially the Bach sonatas.

zlya

The double bass is seen as a member of the viola da gamba family. The shape is slightly different from the shape of instruments in the violin family, and (I believe) the tuning system is different as well.

Of course, the viola da gamba itself is not very common today, possibly because it was extremely difficult to play without sounding like a dying cat. I believe there's a good viola da gamba part in Bach's St. John's Passion.

some guy

Don't know about St. John, but there is indeed a viola da gamba part in the St. Matthew Passion that's to die for. It's mesmerizing for sure.

Phillip Wilcher

It's a very beautiful instrument - possibly my favourite - which is so closely aligned to the voice that to write for it is a joyous experience. Try hear Brahm's E minor cello sonata sometime - it's very beautiful.
www.phillipwilcher.com

zlya

I think I was thinking of the alto/viola da gamba duet "Es ist vollbracht" in St. John's.

John Curtin

The double bass is seen as a member of the viola da gamba family. The shape is slightly different from the shape of instruments in the violin family, and (I believe) the tuning system is different as well.

That's correct: the double bass' strings are tuned (ascending) to E, A, D, G, which interestingly is like a violin tuned in reverse (G, D, A, E). So a bass is tuned in 4ths rather than 5ths.

tomato

Has anyone read any books by Lois Choksy?
She has catalogued many folk songs in the English language and found that the easiest songs have only two notes a minor third apart.
She therefore advocates beginning music instruction for English-speaking children with the minor third.
This is less than ideal for string instrument beginners, because there are no two strings tuned a minor third apart.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v500/pentatonika/cuckoo.jpg

Choksy exhorts music teachers in other countries to make a similar collection, and to plan the music curriculum according to their findings.
Here in Korea, there are oodlums of songs using only two notes a perfect fourth apart.
In this song, the words mean "Let's play terrapin.":

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v500/pentatonika/?action=view&current=terrapin.gif

I would love to teach Korean string bass beginners, wouldn't you?

sandkorn

Of course, the viola da gamba itself is not very common today, possibly because it was extremely difficult to play without sounding like a dying cat.

Well, it's quite true, but there are some extremely beautiful viola da gamba-music. Especially by Marin Marais. I'm in love with Marin Marais.

janny108

Of course, the viola da gamba itself is not very common today, possibly because it was extremely difficult to play without sounding like a dying cat. I believe there's a good viola da gamba part in Bach's St. John's Passion.

Who or what is "da gamba"?
Jan

Art Rock

Sr. Regulator
Staff member
Sr. Regulator
The viola da gamba is translated as viol of the leg (since it is held between the knees when played).

SHANON LUIS

voilincello

The violoncello is a bowed string instrument. A person who plays a cello is called a cellist. The cello is used as a solo instrument, in chamber music, and as a member of the string section of an orchestra.Bowed, string instrument that is the second largest member of the violin family and one of the four instruments that make up the string quartet. Its full name is violoncello but the abbreviation cello is more commonly used today.
------------------------------------------
SHANON

Last edited by a moderator: