• Welcome to the Pipe Organ Forum! This is a part of the open community Magle International Music Forums focused on pipe organs (also known as "church organs"), organists, organ music and related topics.

This forum is intended to be a friendly place where technically advanced organists and beginners (or even non-organists) can feel comfortable having discussions and asking questions. We learn by reading and asking questions, and it is hoped that the beginners (or non-organists) will feel free to ask even the simplest questions, and that the more advanced organists will patiently answer these questions. On the other hand, we encourage complex, technical discussions of technique, music, organ-building, etc. The opinions and observations of a diverse group of people from around the world should prove to be interesting and stimulating to all of us.

As pipe organ discussions can sometimes become lively, it should be pointed out that this is an open forum. Statements made here are the opinion of the poster, and not necessarily that of the forum itself, its administrator, or its moderators.

In order to post a new topic - or reply to existing ones - you may join and become a member by clicking on Register New User. It's completely free and only requires a working email address (in order to confirm your registration - it will never be given away!). We strive to make this a friendly and informative forum for anyone interested in pipe organs and organ music.

(Note: If you wish to link to and promote your own website please read this thread first.)

Many kind regards
    smile.gif

Frederik Magle
    Administrator

Krummhorn
    Co-Administrator

value of pipe organ

lpzandt

my family has an old house pipe organ. it has been build appr.early 17th century and has recently totally been restored. it has wooden and lead pipes.
we are looking for a price estimate/value of this organ. does anyone know who to contact / where to find an estimate of its value?
for exact details of the organ and pictures pls contact me on [email protected] or in this forum.

mirjam

Wow, you are really lucky to own an instrument like that!
It is impossible to tell the value of such an item unless you're an expert. Why don't you ask the person who restored it? Or contact an organ builder in Holland. You could check the following site, whre you'll be able to get in contact with the right people or advertise.
http://www.orgelbouwers.nl/
Good luck!

D P Werner

Whoever did your restoration should be able to help with valuing the instrument. There's www.organclearinghouse.com. They are very US-centric but might give you some ideas. Old pipe organs, even very old ones, on the whole have surprisingly little resale value.

I would say these are main criteria for value:
- How well can the history of the instrument be documented
- Who built it
- The less it's been altered over time the more potentially valuable it is. This is related to the first point. Restoring a modified organ to its supposed original state is not nearly as valuable as it not having been altered in the first place.
- Old organs are of more historical interest than monetary value. The irony is that the organ is perceived to be more valuable if it remains in its original location. Move it somewhere else and it's not quite as historically interesting.

champion

This is indeed a burning question with various Churches in India having British built pipe organs. We have no organ builder in India and those "surviving" repairers can barely address only the tracker & pneumatic actions so that the pipes which are still speaking continue to peal. In fact one church from Mussourie in North India ask me the value of their pipe organ some 20 years back (when I was much less knowledgeable)
Good luck

Nadav

on the the other hand the tradition of REED organ lives in india and in india alone.
in my last visit to dharamshala (himachal pradesh)i bought
a punjabi reed organ that was anfurtunately too small to play western classical music and without pedal.
i allso noticed that being a hill station there was an english
church with large reed organ (foot pumped) that needs some VERY
extencive repair . hupefully they will start build western style instruments for export an tourists soon. i would be glad to buy one

harfo32

There are ways to make money on a large scale, but organ building is not one of them! I appreciate this is not a direct reply to the original poster's question, but the "value" of a pipe organ is, in some ways, incalculable.
Different industries have different profit margins,though there is usuallly some uniformity within a given industry.
Supermarkets, for example, work on a fairly low profit margin, e.g.10 to 12 %, but make large profits from high volume sales. An organ building firm is in a different ball park. As a one time Director of the British firm of Grant Degens and Bradbeer I have a working knowledge of the sums involved. I have also researched the balance sheets of some other organ building companies. Some are better off than others, but all work on limited reserves, and without a healthy order book would have a short life.
It is hard to precisely predict the future, but there is a limited market for new organs and the future seems to lie with the small firms of skilled craftsmen, with low overheads and flexibility. Thus organ building is by way of being a vocation
rather than a business, the classic economic definition of which is an organisation designed to maximise profits.
The actual costs of building an organ are the materials for the
pipes, soundboards, action and console. To this must be added the cost of labour - though organ building does not offer large rewards financially - and it is not a labout intensive industry in the sense of employing a large percentage of the workforce. However, the construction costs of individual organs is mainly that of skilled labour! There are factory overheads - premises, running expenses, office staff etc. But continued existence is dependent on cash flow from new work and contract payments, which depends on satisfied customers and reasonably competitive prices.
So pipe organ building is a vocation, and the value of an instrument, a bit like art, is what people will pay for it!
If it is a unique artefact of historical importance it will be worth more than an a collection of pipes attached to a console. These may cost as much to remove and repair as a new organ, and be of little artistic worth at the end of the day. On the other hand, sometimes organs of real interest come on to the market due to churches closing - for example the pipework from a "Father" Willis organ in London dating back to 1857, was recently moved and installed in a church in Burnt Oak, (St Alphage's) another suburb of London. But the action, framework and case were all new. Only the Pipes were used - carefully restored. The organ has tracker action. (see photo) It was considerably less expensive than an all new organ, and probably better than many!
John Foss

dll927

Not too long ago, I read something where somebody asked the approximate value of the organ in the Mormon Tabernacle. The semi-official answer was that there was really no way to arrive at a figure. Reasons: The organ is basically an Aeolean-Skinner built in the late 1940's by a company that went out of business in 1971. In the case of a much older organ, one would have to set the value in current monetary value, not what it might have cost a couple of hundred years ago.

I think the Tabernacle organ ran something around $125,000 -- back around 1948. Not today. What did the Schoenstein organ in Hinckley's Palace (the new Conference Center) cost? I haven't heard that one, but it was surely a good bit more than $125,000. Read it and weep!!

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
. . . What did the Schoenstein organ in Hinckley's Palace (the new Conference Center) cost? I haven't heard that one, but it was surely a good bit more than $125,000. Read it and weep!!

The original approved cost hovered around $3,500,000 (USD) for the Shoenstein organ. I've heard it in person ... was actually at the Inaugural Concert held in June of 2003, seated 6 rows from the front, near the center. It is not as large as the Tabernacle instrument, and that was done on purpose as I understand it.

The value of the Tabernacle organ is ... priceless ... hard to put a price tag on something like that. I would assume it is insured for several million dollars.

PhilipMBerg

my family has an old house pipe organ. it has been build appr.early 17th century and has recently totally been restored. it has wooden and lead pipes.
we are looking for a price estimate/value of this organ. does anyone know who to contact / where to find an estimate of its value?
for exact details of the organ and pictures pls contact me on [email protected] or in this forum.

An old pipe organ is very valuable piece of our History.It is so powerful wealth for every nation.If you want I wanna buy your pipe.
Contact with me through email:p[email protected]

Sincerely
Philip

Corno Dolce

Admiral Honkenwheezenpooferspieler
Yep, the "Tabernacle Organ" is priceless - Imagine the C-C at St. Sulpice then - Its way beyond priceless.............

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
You got that right, brother CD ... there are many great pipe organs of the world that also fit into the 'priceless' category.

Corno Dolce

Admiral Honkenwheezenpooferspieler
Imho, maker, history, and age are important criteria - But I also believe that the tonal composition of the organ and how it is voiced also plays a major role. Look at it this way:
C-C built organs which in countless ways started a new school of organ-playing and composition - Lets call it "Symphonic" - Willis was very inspired by C-C as was Skinner and methinks that Schoenstein is following the Symphonic Vein

dll927

As for Dorsetmike's criteria, I'd say "all of the above". Even location matters, since the acoustics of a church, concert hall or whatever are part of the equation. They voice the pipes to sound "right", which is part of why it can take quite a while to install and voice a fairly sizeable organ. I've even heard of cases in which they sent pipes back to the factory to re-do some of the characteristics.

One can't help wondering how C-C did it without all the scientific doo-dads we have now. To say nothing of Silverman and all the others.

That figure of $3,500,000 for the Schoenstein doesn't surprise me. But the LDS church is hardly on food stamps. I, too, understand that the organ is somewhat less extensive than the Tabernacle one, but the console is suppposedly a pretty close duplicate -- probably so Elliott et. al. are 'at home' with either one. They have various websites that describe the organs, of which there seem to be several right there at the Temple Square area. Oddly enough, the Temple itself does not have a pipe organ!!

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
. . . That figure of $3,500,000 for the Schoenstein doesn't surprise me. But the LDS church is hardly on food stamps. I, too, understand that the organ is somewhat less extensive than the Tabernacle one, but the console is suppposedly a pretty close duplicate -- probably so Elliott et. al. are 'at home' with either one.

Yes ... they did design the Schoenstein console after the Tabernacle organ ... most all the stop controls, couplers, pistons, toe-studs, are in the same locations, to make it easier for all the Temple Square organists.

The Assembly Hall has a good sized organ, and another is in a rehearsal room downstairs from what I gather from Elliott's websites.

wljmrbill

Excellent thought David. I have experienced many times the old saying " A bad organ with good acoustics sounds better than a good organ with bad acoustics" and that poor beautiful carpet doesn't help...LOL