A question about thru-sung

wtwt5237

Banned
A while back, I learned the word 'thru-sung'. But I don't think the thru-sungs that fill the space between singings are good or more exactly euphonic. Instead I think them terrible. I would rather the singers just talked!
It is easy to appreciate the bueaty of singings in operas or music dramas. But could anyone please tell me how to appreciate the tru-sungs? Thank you

zlya

I think you mean recitative. Through-sung (or thru-sung) describes an entire piece with no speaking, recitative describes the actual bits that fill the space between arias and numbers.

Historically, recitative wasn't considered a very high art. Often, the main composer didn't write his own recitative, but made a student or associate write it for him! So a lot of operatic recitative really isn't worth appreciating.

However, if you do want a good example of recitative, listen to a Sondheim musical, particularly "Into the Woods". There is a very good section of recitative in the second act, "So it's your fault". The words are very clever and witty, and the rhythm is interesting, and well matched to the words.

wtwt5237

Banned
Hi,Zlya, if I don't get it wrong, it is you who introduces recitative to me! Nice to meet you again!
I am now listening to sondheim's Les Miserables. Many thru-sungs in it, and Dog eats dog and part of Javert's suicide (they are similar to thru-sung) really annoyed me.
Thank you very much for you detailed answer. 'Into the woods', well I will listen to it. I won't miss it!

Last edited:

zlya

I am now listening to sondheim's Les Miserables. Many thru-sungs in it, and Dog eats dog and part of Javert's suicide (they are similar to thru-sung) really annoyed me.

I believe you mean Boubil and Schonberg's Les Miserables. It is a through-sung musical, there are many recitative passages in it. (Through-sung is an adjective, not a noun).

wtwt5237

Banned
Hi,Zlya, I failed to hire , buy or download a copy of Into the woods. I know a place where I can get the soundtracks, but it's better to watch the music drama to grasp the whole plot flow.
However, I manged to get my hand on Cat by Weber. I have a question here, for you or anyone who reads this post(Maybe my comprehension is somewhat weak):
What is the Cat drama trying to tell us? What's its main theme? I just understand it's weaved up by substories. But is Cat trying to praise or blame something?
Thank you.

zlya

I never liked Cats. Not much of anything there as far as I'm concerned. Can you get anything by Sondheim? Sweeney Todd? Sunday in the Park with George? It's all good.