Duke Ellington, ultimate jazzer?

doctortornface

So who is the ultimate jazzman? Who is Mr. Big in jazz history, My personal hero of the genre would be Duke Ellington. Landmark arrangements,quality is the word for anything he created. His overall influence on generations of players and an indelable print on the record buying public from then and now.

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Benny Goodman and Glenn Miller come to my mind also as jazz greats. Fletcher Henderson was another ... this is all during the 1930's Swing era.

I can listen to those great bands everyday of the week and twice on Tuesdays ... great stuff.

OLDUDE

When it is noted how many great jazz musicians admit to being influenced by Louis it is difficult not to as possibly the Greatest.
Cheers, John

JHC

Chief assistant to the assistant chief
Not to mention Kenton must have been the best in the progressive genre and of course The Dutch swing college with the founder Peter Schilperoort.

Dorsetmike

Having seen Basie, Ellington and Herman live, each has their strengths, overall I would rate them equal. The Herds probably had a slight edge in the precison of their playing together, Ellington usually had the more talented line ups, Basie seemed to have a presence the others lacked.

I also saw the Miller band under Buddy de Franco in the late 60s, I was not so impressed.

OLDUDE

Sorry about that,. However I managed to download something at last (Market Place, Wetherby). Now how do I download to a Gallery?

JHC

Chief assistant to the assistant chief
Having seen Basie, Ellington and Herman live, each has their strengths, overall I would rate them equal. The Herds probably had a slight edge in the precison of their playing together, Ellington usually had the more talented line ups, Basie seemed to have a presence the others lacked.

I also saw the Miller band under Buddy de Franco in the late 60s, I was not so impressed.

Mike you have PM