CD or Records

Classiclp

A simple question:

What do you prefer CD's or Records?

Cd's were supposed to be musics greatest invention, you could do what you want with them and they would play perfect sound everytime.

Well we all know that isnt actually the truth I find records give a far better sound than Cd

Anyway over to you ..................

Mark

Art Rock

Sr. Regulator
Staff member
Sr. Regulator
I'll take the convenience of CD's over records any day - any difference in sound quality is beyond the capability of my ears. My first CD's date back to 1986 and still play perfectly.

ses

In the last 15 years there have been very very few new recordings on vinyl of classical music. So I don't think this is a fair question at all.

I am a big fan of vinyl and I love my thousands of records, but music lives and new recordings tells of innovations and new ways. So for the time being CD rules in classical music.

In pop/rock the best new records comes on both formats, and I normaaly buys the LP's. Still the best musically format for me.

I still buy LP's from 50-70 (golden age) classics, pop/rock and a lot of jazz.

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
I'll split my decision 50/50. For portability and ease of storing, CD's rule hands down ... but there is something nostalgic for me when I get out my LP's and set the ol' tone arm fang gently down in the grooves. Still love those rare clicks and pops, too.

Sound quality wise, I think both LP and CD are pretty similar - I've never taken the time to A/B between the two with an identical piece ... might try that sometime just for fun.

Andrew Roussak

A simple question:

What do you prefer CD's or Records?

Cd's were supposed to be musics greatest invention, you could do what you want with them and they would play perfect sound everytime.

Well we all know that isnt actually the truth I find records give a far better sound than Cd

Anyway over to you ..................

Mark

Mark,

surely there are as many opinions as people. The CD as a 16-bit carrier gives you an almost absolutely adequate information of what was actually on the master tape. Many would say - the sound of recordings is warmer as a digital sound, there are tons of literature about it.

But, actually, as so called analog mastering is very popular now ( once again ), the mixed recording goes through the chain of the various analog devices, then proceeds to the master tape ( the mastering tape recorders are really very often used in many studios NOW, at least in Germany where I live ), and then it is being converted to the 16-bit format and immortalised on the Cd. Well now, if the recording was made generally as much analog as possible, does the final stage ( the Cd as a carrier ) bring anything significant to its quality ? I think ,no. The difference you hear may be more due to the mastering methods using the PCs as a low budget solution.

Best regards,
Andrew