PDA

View Full Version : Using "MyOrgan"

Pages : [1] 2

AlainT
Aug-15-2007, 23:03
Hi!

I'm a dude new member on this forum.....

I'm a dude in pipe organ playing as well!

The question is: I'm looking for a low cost (let's say free...) software organ synthesiser. It seemed to me that "MyOrgan" would be a good choice.
BUT!!!! When loaded, it asks for "*.organ" sample files.

Do anybody knows about this kind of sample files? Or do anybody knows how to load samples for this program (I mean, in which format)?

Thank you in advance for your answer.

Krummhorn
Aug-16-2007, 01:39
Hello Alain T ... and Welcome aboard Magle Int'l Music Forums.

Having not heard of this software program before, I went searching. Did you notice the sample files on this site: http://www.kloria.com/software/musical/myorgan/ ? Scroll down on the left side ... The site also claims that some Hauptwerk sample files might work .
Looks like the latest version of this application is 1.0.6 (June, 2006).

My guess is that the freebie things might be outdated software that may not be supported any longer, which might be a reason for not being able to locate readily available ".organ" sample files. Possibly others here might have more insight to offer.

AlainT
Aug-16-2007, 13:09
Thank you for your answer, Krummhorn.

Of course, I have already loaded some of the indicated material that are linked on Kloria's site. I got ".SF2" files, or Hauptwerk compatible files.
The point is that MyOrgan asks only for ".organ" type files....

I agree with you that those informations are somewhat outdated.

AlainT
Aug-20-2007, 20:29
Here are some fresh news.

I discovered that the ".organ" files are called "definition files". They seem to decribe the different sounds banks of an instrument, so that the expander program (Hauptwerk or MyOrgan for instance) can handle them.

I checked some of the free soundbanks indicated above. I confirm what is said on the Kloria's site. MyOrgan is very simple to use, and the sounds produced are very clean. As indicated, it seems not to be so hungry in machine resources, as well.

I'll check with dual keyboards, and I'll tell you the results.

NEB
Aug-22-2007, 00:24
I've just downloaded and installed it without problems at all. actually it looks quite good! I would say that some better speakers would help the sound, but I'm not about to run out and get those unless I was going to use the pc in that way...

AlainT
Aug-28-2007, 21:08
Just check this amazing harpsichord bank: http://duphly.free.fr
I find it very friendly when practicing scales, arpegios, and all.....! The recording process is very good, and the instrument is so real!
(ok, some upper register notes are missing, but it sound's so good...)

BWV66
Nov-26-2007, 16:28
I have also downloaded this software and find it very good for a free product. You will find several free ample sets on www.kloria.com (http://www.kloria.com) which will work. You may need to download winace extractor before you can use them(also free). The best of these sample sets is jeuxdorgues - a copy of an organ in Alsace built in 1843 and which has 24 stops, 2 manuals and pedals. You would have to pay almost $500 for the Hauptwerk version!

musicalis
Dec-05-2007, 00:42
Hi !
I have discovered kloria myorgan 15 days ago, when I was not at home, but with a very slow speed for download, I could not try this software as the organ sets are very heavy (100 Mb for the smallest).
When I came back home 2 days ago, from where I can have DSL, I have been able to load 5 free organ sets for MyOrgan or hauptwerk 1.
Myorgan is wonderfull; since I am home, I play organ for hours.
the definition files are very easy to understand and to edit, so i have allready made my own organ, mixing the various stops.
i use MyOrgan in two ways :
- in live with a midi keyboard (piano FP8 roland) my PC and a reverb (quadraverd Alesis)
- with Harmony-Assistant (a cheap french music editor software) that I use as a midi sequencer + midiyoke (a free virtual midi cord necessary to link the two softwares).

:) J-Paul :)

musicalis
Dec-09-2007, 13:32
http://musicalis.monespace.net/img\orgue-st-bertrand.jpgHi !
I continue to test and play with Kloria MyOrgan.
It is really interesting.
I am preparing a composition contest for a specific organ. After studiying a few days several configuration files (free download), I have been able to create with a text editor this organ I need.
The biggest difficulty has been to find the organ stops. I have found several free organ set on the web, but some stop, like cromhorne, were still missing.
So I have made the missing stops by myself, using a few mp3 sounds of pipes found in various demo, and create the full range of pipes with a wave editor.
Now, for no money, have my onw organs, compatible MyOrgan and Hauptwerk 1
Is there is this forum, people doing the same things. I will be happy to exchange some ideas.

AlainT
Dec-13-2007, 23:49
Hi!
I'm not that advanced as you you are in handling definition files.
Can you give (us) some general gide lines about edit those files?
You say you are editing them with a text editor. Do you mean Windows notepad for instance?

musicalis
Dec-14-2007, 12:04
:) Yes I have made my own instrument with Notepad.exe
All you need are some free organ sets and a lot of time.
Once you have understood the goal of each line of a definition page, creating his own organ is very easy. When my organ will be quite completed, I'll write a small tutorial for the folks who live in this forum.

:) Jean-Paul :)

cfmcmillan
Dec-24-2007, 10:29
Jean-Paul -

I too have discovered my organ and am quite pleased with the initial results. Like you, I'd like to be able to build my own organ using things such as existing soundfonts (sf2). Have you discovered the specifications for the .wav files that myorgan uses? I'm guessing that understanding the definitions page won't be too hard, but it would be nice if there were some documentation. Have you had an luck finding documentation?

musicalis
Dec-28-2007, 12:08
Dear Friends

1) About pipes waves:
You need a file for each note and each stop. So an organ with a 60 keys keyboard and 14 stops needs 4*60= 840 files.
For each stop, the key are named 01-C1.wav, 02-C#1.wave ... and so on.
The files are stored in several folders, a folder for each stop.
The wave may have a 9 seconds duration (the best), but it may be as shorter as 1 second. Each wave is recorded with an endless loop and an ending point.
Selecting the two points of the loop is a little difficult if you want a correct loop (without click noise).

2) About the specification files:
I have never found any doc on the web. I have made my own documentation after analysing several files. It is not very difficult. I am writing a tutorial, in french first, then in english if somebody help me to correct the mistakes of my translation. It is a long job, so please wait a little more.

Jean-Paul

musicalis
Dec-29-2007, 20:36
Hi !

I promised a tutorial for organ definition files. IT IS DONE !!!
Please, see my new topic somewhere in this forum or download at
http://www.musicalis.monespace.net/organ/Tutorial_SmecnoMin.organ

Cheers.
Jean-Paul

methodistgirl
Dec-29-2007, 22:02
I would love to have such a similation program for my computer. Can you
get something like that at a store somewhere? We do have a walmart or
Kmart here in madisonville.
judy tooley

musicalis
Dec-30-2007, 15:35
Hi Judy !

I do not not what a walmart or Kmart are. I guess they are music shops, no ?
If you have a PC computer, you do not need to buy anything, you can get your home organ for absolutely free.
If you have a Mac, or a computer with Linux, I cannot help you, but may be somebody else in this forum can do it.

Cheers.
:):) J-Paul :):)

dombedos
Dec-31-2007, 01:02
hi! Take a look here.. www.scpop.de !!
Try an mp3 sample..
Ask me for any questions

Gerard Lardner
Dec-31-2007, 02:08
Have you found/tried Fons Adriaensen's organ simulator Aeolus? Its at http://www.kokkinizita.net/linuxaudio/aeolus/index.html

I don't play, and so have no MIDI keyboards to try it with, but the example files sound rather good to me.

What do others think?

Gerard Lardner

Analogicus
Dec-31-2007, 09:13
Two other free virtual organ programs are jOrgan and Miditzer. I have both on my computer, along with MyOrgan. Although I have long been committed to developing a quality line of analogue electronic organs (I admit that no-one seems to be making them commercially anymore), the quality of organ sound available from these virtual organ programs means that a much simpler option is now available for home users who want a good sound without a lot of trouble or expense.
Many thanks to musicalis for explaining the mysteries of the organ definition files.

Analogicus

Krummhorn
Jan-01-2008, 05:55
I would love to have such a similation program for my computer. Can you get something like that at a store somewhere? We do have a Walmart or Kmart here in madisonville. judy tooley

Judy,
These software applications are only available from online sources - they are no longer offered 'for sale' in most venues, and as such are referred to as 'freeware' or 'shareware'. Even if they were available on CD, these types of programs would not be marketed at everyday department stores whose shoppers are far more interested in buying paint, clothes and toys as opposed to very very specific software targeted for a very very elite group of specific users. :crazy: ;)

Contratrombone64
Jan-02-2008, 00:49
elite and specific?? I resemble that remark!

musicalis
Jan-04-2008, 16:00
Hi !
For those who want to listen to a piece recorded with Myorgan, I have posted in this forum a very short music at the topic "transigo platea".
To record this music, I have used the free open source virtual organ Kloria Myorgan and the free organ set "Orgue de salon" (a very small organ, but sounding nice).
The MP3 is dry (no reverb).

cfmcmillan
Jan-07-2008, 07:27
Jean-Paul,

Thanks for the tutorial. I have succeeded in making a set of pipes from a soundfont file. I finally just recorded each note and looped it. It took several hours of work, but sounds fine. Inserting it into the organ wasn't too hard. I'm sure there are things I haven't figured out yet, but I've made a very workable organ.

musicalis
Jan-07-2008, 16:31
I am very happy for you succed in making your private organ ;).
Can I see a picture of your organ or see your ODF please.
I you need something from me, please ask at your turn.
J-P

AlainT
Jan-11-2008, 12:03
As by now, it seems to me that the two best possibilities to get an excellent pipe organ simulation are:

- "My Organ", which is free on Kloria Publishing site;
- "Hauptwerk", which you can buy direct from Kromhorn Laboratories (www.crumhorn-labs.com).

The first one plays sample sets in the form of Hauptwerk 1 format. The available sets are in limited number. The files are terminated by ".organ"

The second one is the best choice, on my own opinion. It is professionnaly supported. People at Krumhorn Labs are very pleasant.
A lot of libraries are available, with many kind of organs. Ckeck for instance Milan Audio web site.
The price is reasonable for such a complete and stable software.

In both cases, as samples are not compressed (the reason why they sound so good), you need at least 2G of fast memory.

Regards

AlainT
Jan-11-2008, 12:12
I discover that there was a "page 2" on this topic...... The previous message was intended to be an answer to Judy' post on page one.....

I read the other post. I thing that the best choice for people who don't deal too much with file or software manipulation and just want a tool for making music are the two that I pointed above.
Anyway, Musicalis's tutorial is a great tool!

musicalis
Jan-11-2008, 15:39
Hi !
Many topics have a page2, page3 and so on. Open wide your eyes.
There is also in the pipe organ forum an other topic you should read, it is called
MyOrgan vs Hauptwerk.
J-Paul

Analogicus
Jan-11-2008, 22:21
In my opinion, jOrgan should also be considered as a virtual organ program. Its strengths are that it is free, it offers tremendous flexibility if you are prepared to learn how to manipulate its software (certainly not for "Dummies"!), it has a very active forum, which means that support is readily available, and it does not require huge computer resources. Its writer, Sven Meier, is very accessible via that forum, and is busily writing a third version at the moment, with input from members of the forum. The main drawback of jOrgan at the moment is that the range and quality of organ sample sets is disappointing, but I expect that to change.

Analogicus

musicalis
Jan-12-2008, 00:30
Hi !
I Know JOrgan and I agree with you.
I have used it a while, but today I prefer MyOrgan even if there is not a large and active community.
j-Paul

jvhldb
Jan-14-2008, 20:02
Ok, I've given up trying MyOrgan. I keep on getting amessage that no MIDI was found, although Finale and other programs don't have any problem using my MIDI interface.

musicalis
Jan-14-2008, 20:47
Courage !
How do you try to work with MyOrgan ?
do you link it to a midi keyboard or to an other software ?
I you want to use MyOrgan with finale or with any sequencer, you need to install a virtual midi pipe, like MidiYoke (freeware). In this case, load midiyoke, run it. It will install in your computer a new midi device. Set Finale midi out to Midiyoke1 (or midiyoke2) and set MyOrgan midi input to the same midiyoke1 or 2.
J-Paul

greatcyber
Jun-07-2008, 03:05
Hi Judy,

You don't get the simulation programs at a store, silly...just google "virtual organs" on the internet and you will find all sorts of programs out there. There is so much talk o this site about My Organ, that I downloaded it myself yesterday, and had it up and running in two shakes. You can also go to Crumhornlabs.com (it might be crumhornlabs.uk) and download the demo version of Hauptwerk 2. They give you 2 months to play with it and it reproduces cathedral organs such as St. Stefan's in England (which is fab) and also an Open Diapapaison Organ that I really love. (I'm a window rattler when I can play a pipe organ). You can also get demo versions of theater pipe organs, such as the Miditzer from Miditzer.com. That one is way cool. In fact, I called my mom in the states and played some of the samples over the phone for her. All the stops work. If you have a cheap keyboard from WalMart, KMart or Radio Shack, such as a Casio keyboard, all you need to get is a package of MIDI cables to connect your keyboard to your computer.

For Hauptwerk, you'll need a relatively newer and powerful computer, my Dell XPS is a year old, dual processor with 2 Gigs of RAM and I have no problems. External speakers are also an asset. You can get the cables at a music store, Radio Shack or even on Ebay for about $10. Just make sure you get the kind that will fit into your computer. If you have a joystick port on your sound card, they you need one end of the cables to be able to connect to that. If you have a USB port available, then buy MIDI to USB. The MIDI cable end will have 2 plugs, IN and OUT. You hook the MIDI in to the MIDI out on your keyboard and hook the MIDI out to the MIDI in on your keyboard and the other end has only one connector (mine is USB).

If you are as crazy as I am, you'll have about 10 free virtual organs downloaded before you know it. Then you can download MIDI song files from the net for free and play them through these programs and they will sound like you are in a cathedral, a theatre, a ball park, jazz club, pretty much anything.

I have to admit, I'm very new to all this...have only been playing around with this stuff for about a few weeks, but now I started downloading sheet music from the web, most of it for free. The cool thing about MIDI music is, while the music is playing, you will see the keys moving on your computer screen. You can also change to "piano roll view" depending on what other free programs you have downloaded from the internet, and see the musical notes appear as the keys play and learn to play the songs that way. Some programs will even let you print out the sheet music from within the programs.

Just remember one thing...Google is your friend. There is Soooooo much available on the net for free. One example, when I was a little kid (long time ago) one of my favorite classical pieces was Mozart's variations on a theme of twinkle twinkle little star. It's actually called Ah, vous dirar-je maman. It's 12 variations starting from simple to quite complex. After downloading the pianoteq (pianoteq.com) demo version, I googled the song and downloaded it. Then I played it through the concert grand and started to cry as it was so beautiful. If you would like to hear it, I included the sound file.

If I can help you further in your quest, feel free to ask me. You may PM me if you like.

Have a nice night and keep on playing! Stephen

raymondo30837
Jun-15-2008, 12:13
Hi Boys and girls, I have been following this thread with great interest. I know little about Midi but I intend to give it a go. I have ordered a midi cable so that I can connect my DGX 200 to the computer.

When it arrives please stand by to have your brains picked:):)

My Kindest Regards. Raymond

Mathbob
Sep-03-2008, 02:16
Like some others on this list - but not all - I have a VERY tight budget. The prospect of free is appealing. I have a modest organ that I am digitizing (a mid 60's Rodgers Trilogy, 3-manual church-style organ, similar to a Trio); I don't need all the fancy bells and whistles. I'm a former programmer, so I don't mind some technical with control files. However, I don't want to spend a vast amount of time on it. I want to play the organ, not play with it.

The one concern I have about each of these products is support. Question for those of you who use each of them - can you get questions answered - either by the author or the user community? JOrgan seems to be more actively under development - MyOrgan hasn't had an update since early 2006.

Some of the posts on this thread are rather old, so I'll ask again - is there a good selection of FREE sample sets available for each, wet and dry?

Also, I've looked at the MyOrgan home page and can't find a place to download the documentation - just the program itself. I'd like to know the features and requirements in detail before trying it. For exampe, does it support combinations and couplers?

Please share your experiences - good and bad.

Thanks, Bob

musicalis
Sep-03-2008, 22:35
Hello

In spite last update is 2 years old, Myorgan is a onderful free organ. Combinations, couplers, expressive boxes, tremulants ... are possible.
For a former programmer it will be easy to edit the ODF and make your own instrument. Each day it is possible, I use myorgan 4 or 6 hours/day; I love Myorgan, i have tried many free organ, this one is the best.
Please visit my two web site for tutorials and mp3 made with MyOrgan

http://organ.monespace.net
http://musicalis.monespace.net

Analogicus
Sep-03-2008, 23:06
Bob,
Musicalis has answered your question regarding MyOrgan and its functionality. Now let me add some words about support.
There is no support for MyOrgan, apart from what has been given by Musicalis and others on this (Magle) list. Although there seems to be a chatlist for MyOrgan, currently it's not working. However, MyOrgan is an excellent program, and gives wonderful results.
I can thoroughly recommend it.
jOrgan is also capable of excellent results, but is more difficult to set up on your computer. However, its chatlist is very active, full of members eager to help, including the writer of the program. In other words, there is plenty of good support. jOrgan has great flexibility, allowing the enthusiasts to set up their own customized organs, of almost unlimited complexity if so desired.

Analogicus

greatcyber
Sep-04-2008, 02:25
Hey Guys,

All of this is true. Myself, I have been very frustrated at trying to use one of these programs. At some point I am going to give MyOrgan another try, especially with having Jean-Paul as such a good help resource on this program. I have heard such good things about it but for some reason, have not so far been able to get it to work for me. Likewise with Jorgan. I can get the organ loaded, but it is really more programming than I feel like getting into. I also have downloaded the freeware Miditzer from http://virtualorgan.com (http://virtualorgan.com/). This has an extensive user forum and I have actually had some success with using it. But I have two keyboards currently hooked up via a motu micro express interface and while I was able to get some of the knobs on my E-mu keyboard to control things such as swell shoes and crescendo, I have not had any success with stops, pistons, coupleers. So, I resort to reading midi sites...A LOT!

I also downloaded Hauptwerk, which I prefer the most out of all of them, but can I get that to work? Not completely. They also have a very active forum, but so far, frustration has won out over actually buying the program to use.

When I split my keyboard using midi, I am not totally happy with that. I finally broke down and purchased an old Hammond Concorde which I intend to "midi-ize" and hopefully if that works, then I will purchase a license for Hauptwerk.

To reduce the frustration some, I have found piano programmes, such as pianoteq, absolute Bosendorfer and some others that at least all of the notes on my keyboard (one of them) work.

Just my two cents. I feel your pain. Keep smiling.

musicalis
Sep-04-2008, 15:12
Hello

Hautpwerk is nice too, but there is no free demo version of the most recent version of this software, and the free demo version of Hautptwerk-1 (fully compatible with myorgan) cannnot be used because there is a bell ringing every second.
With the last version (expensive), you will need a very powerfull and fast computer with several Mega of Ram. Have you got it yet ? AFter you will have to buy samples sets (sometime very expensive)

I really tell you, that MyOrgan is a very complete instrument, even for an organist professionnal.

Ther are very good free sample sets for MO and Hautptwerk-1. What you have to do is to gather these sample sets in one and only one folder to make a huge library of organ stops. Then, you can build magnifiscents instrument by re-writing the organ definition files (ODF) and using these mixed sample sets. There are also free sample set for Hauptwerk-2 that you can download and use, but you may need to edit them a litlle .For example renaming each wave file (easy with a batch program) or converting 24 bits wave files into 16 bits. Its take a lot of time, but the result is great (in French we said "Le jeu en vaut la chandelle").

For creating the ODF, I have written a software for PC. It is not perfect, some bugs remain, but it runs rather well. You only have to make some quick corrections with a text editor one the ODF is done. I can give it to any of us, but there is no user manual, I have not found the time to write it.

Also, there is not official forum or support but there is a great community of MyOrgan user. Myself, I am ready to help any of you if I have time enough.

greatcyber
Sep-05-2008, 00:40
Thank you for your input, Jean-Paul. Since I have seen first-hand the fruits of your labours, I will try once again to work with MyOrgan. I hope you don't mind if I start asking you a bunch of questions.

Thanks for your knowledge, talent and generosity.

musicalis
Sep-08-2008, 11:27
How do you try to use MyOrgan ?
Do you try to play MyOrgan from a midi keyboard linked to the Midi in port of your computer or do you try to control MyOrgan from Finale, Cubase or any sequencer (inside the same computer) ?

musicalis
Sep-08-2008, 11:28
Dear Friends

See also my new topic about a software that will allow you to create new ODF for myOrgan.

greatcyber
Sep-12-2008, 04:56
So far I have only tried to use MyOrgan with a midi keyboard. I do have a few notation programs like Sebelius and Noteworthy Composer and I also have Sonar Home Studio, Producer, Sony Acid Pro, Cubase and some others, but have not really learned how to use them yet. I decided to get a bunch of programs downloaded onto my computer and try them all out and see which ones I prefer and then just get rid of the ones I don't like.

On the few attempts I have made at using VST plug-ins in Sonar, such as Miraslav Philharmonik or one of the Native Instruments programmes, I can only get so far. But then, of late, my head has been going in so many directions at once, mostly due to the stress of moving out of the country and hoping to be accepted by the government and then with illnesses both at home and with family and friends. Things happily are starting to settle down now and I will attempt to retreat to my studio and really try to apply myself. My hope is to not only use organ and piano sounds, but orchestrations as well, hence the Miroslav Philharmonic. I also have the Garritan Personal Orchestra, Strativari and Philharmonic Strings, Synthology Ivory, Symphonic Choirs and Liquid Instruments with many of the refill packs. Some of these are huge programmes, such as Symphonic Choirs which takes up 35 Gigs of space alone...and that is only one programme. I just upgraded last week to an external hard drive that is a terrabye in addition to my 200 Gig internal HD.

I'm confident that one of these days frustration will give way to eventual hours of enjoyment at the "play station."

Mathbob
Oct-29-2008, 13:00
I've read that HW uses MIDI "continuous controller" messages to control expression (swell). Is that true of MyOrgan as well, or does it use a different method?

Thanks, Bob

Analogicus
Oct-29-2008, 21:48
It is true of MyOrgan: continuous controller for swells.

daveycrockett
Nov-05-2008, 03:56
Methodistgirl,
Just enter a search term for "virtual pipe organ" in your browser (outside this forum) and what will come up is a list of some available. I am trying to locate as many as possible, and so far I have found several, but the one I think I might recommend is the Miditzer (a Wurlitzer Theatre Pipe Organ simulation). You can connect electronic keyboards to it which will make it seem more organ-like, although you need to have the mouse and the monitor close so that you can change the stops. Another they mentioned here is above: the one they refer to as "kloria". I can't wait to test the models I find.

ggoode.sa
Nov-16-2008, 17:24
Hi,
There are a number of Organ sample sets that used to be available in HW1 format that are now only available in HW3. Is it possible to use the ODF creation tool to make these for HW1 again? I'm thinking here of the St Stephens Penrith Australia organ that now seems to be only available as a HW3 download...
Thanks,
Graham

musicalis
Nov-16-2008, 18:39
I think it is possible to re-write any ODF for hauptwerk-1, but I am not sure that you will be able to use the relative sample sets. If the samples for HWK3 are not encrypted (I dont know if they are), you will have to convet them from 24 bits to 16 bits. this is possible with WAVOSAUR Freeware.

the ODF tool I have released makes ODF for MyOrgan. They are compatible with HWK1, bt is is possible hat you have to change the way the pipes are nammed.

ToDay I have released a new version, but some bugs remain. it is really a very hard programming proof as programming is not my job but only my Hobby.
http://organ.monespace.net/My_Organ_Builder/My%20Organ%20Builder.zip

ggoode.sa
Nov-16-2008, 22:05
Thanks Jean-Paul. The sample set is not encrypted and are in 16bit format already (they were originally available as HW1 and have just been repackaged for HW3 I think). I'll give it it try and see how it all works out. Merci!
Graham

musicalis
Nov-17-2008, 13:35
Hi Judy

i don't know what are walmart or
Kmart. May be they are shops.
The software MyOrgan to emulate pipe organs is free; You have to download it on the web. Search at http://www.kloria.com/software/musical/myorgan

ggoode.sa
Nov-17-2008, 14:40
Hi Judy,

Once you have downloaded the MyOrgan program, you need to download some samples. A good sampleset to start with is Gernot's Happy Birthday Organ http://www.prospectum.com/en/organs/hb/hb.htm (http://www.prospectum.com/en/organs/hb/hb.htm). Another good one is the Jeux D'orgues from Joseph Basquin at http://www.jeuxdorgues.com/en/romans.php (http://www.jeuxdorgues.com/en/romans.php). Also worth trying is Mark Beverley's Prudhoe Methodist Church Organ at http://www.rkbev.com/prudhoemethodist.html (http://www.rkbev.com/prudhoemethodist.html). Hope this helps as well :-)

Graham

M. Satterbloom
Dec-25-2008, 01:02
I am a new member and have recently downloaded MyOrgan. Though the program is perfectly functional, there is one problem that I have been experiencing.
I then downloaded the small Italian harpsichord sound bank from duphly.free.fr and am quite satisfied with its realistic sound. I also downloaded the "Happy Birthday Organ" mentioned earlier. I play on a simple Yamaha YPT-300 keyboard and use a new (less than a year old) HP Pavilion laptop with a large memory. To actually play the harpsichord and organ, I ordered a Yamaha UX16 MIDI USB interface cable. The cable would not install on my OS (Windows Vista) using the installation disk provided, so I downloaded the correct software from the Yamaha website.
I got the whole system up and running and it plays in an unsatisfactory manner. The sounding of a note is slightly delayed after pressing a key, and though this delay is only a fraction of a second, it makes it quite difficult to maintain proper articulation and to keep timing accurate on faster passages.
Another problem that I have been experiencing is that every 30 seconds to a minute, the usually clear sound of the harpsichord or organ becomes very scratchy for a few seconds, then reverts back to normal. This infrequent but recurring scratching coupled with the delay produced a frustrating experience, hardly one that I strongly enjoy.
If anyone out there has had a similar experience, please let me know, especially if you have fixed it. I believe that the problems are the responsibility of the MIDI USB cable, but I am not sure and wish to know before I decide to get a new one. If anybody know how to fix these problems, please tell.

greatcyber
Dec-25-2008, 06:39
You may find that downloading and using Asio4All driver will help with your latency and sound problems. You can find it here: http://www.computeractive.co.uk/computeractive/downloads/2208769/asio4all

Let us know if this helps or not.

jhnbrbr
Dec-25-2008, 16:19
I can second that - I'm also using HP computer (Pavilion Slimline desktop) with Vista and installing the Asio driver made a really big improvement to the latency problem. It was also my experience that some MIDI/USB adaptors work better than others - I'm now using M-Audio controller keyboards which connect directly to computer's USB port and don't require adaptor, nor a separate power supply.

M. Satterbloom
Jan-03-2009, 07:08
I have installed the Asio4All driver and have found the result to be nearly the same as what I first experienced. Though the scratchiness has been reduced (not eliminated), the delay is still present. Could it be that I need to adjust the settings on the Asio driver? Thank you for the help. I hope very much that this problem will be solved soon.

musicalis
Jan-03-2009, 19:08
Who send you this message ? Is it MyOrgan ?
Have you really a midi in socket on your computer (see with DXDIAG.EXE) ?

greatcyber
Jan-03-2009, 20:39
I have installed the Asio4All driver and have found the result to be nearly the same as what I first experienced. Though the scratchiness has been reduced (not eliminated), the delay is still present. Could it be that I need to adjust the settings on the Asio driver? Thank you for the help. I hope very much that this problem will be solved soon.
Yes, you may want to make some adjustments in the control panel of asio4all. Increase the buffer and see if that makes any difference for you. You can change the control panel from "simple" to "advanced" and do your tweaks there. If you go to their website, you will find the software explained a little better. Read through the info on the site and post back if you still are having problems.

You are going to have some sort of latency, depending upon your operating system's resources (memory, etc.)

Will wait for a response.

Dorsetmike
Jan-20-2009, 01:36
Having read through this thread a few times, I decided to see what everybody is talking about, so downloaded Myorgan, Finale Notepad, some sample files Midiyoke and ASIO4All.

I have no keyboard so was hoping to play scores from Finale notepad via midiyoke to Myorgan. Well it works up to a point but the sound sounds as though it is being chopped at intervals of a second or so. I have upped the buffers on ASIO to maximum, tried with and without ASIO. fiddled with the polyphonic value and a few other things, no joy so far!!

With only one Midiyoke port available in Notepad I don't seem to be able to get the 2 manuals and the pedals to operate on the relevant staff of the score, only one manual follows the incoming sognal, is there any way of splitting the Notepad output into separate channels?

I also found that Finale Notepad is not quite as clever as it might be, I was trying to copy/paste from a 2 stave harpsichord .mus file to a 3 stave organ sheet, the piece is in A minor, so I select A minor on the blank organ sheet, copy/paste and all the notes get shifted up, what had been A ending up at F!!, I had to go back and select C major to get the notes where they should have been; still trying to figure that one out. The piece I'm playing with is the Rameau Gavotte I posted a link to last week in another thread.

I am impressed with the software so far and it is fun, but the learning curve is so steep I keep falling off:rolleyes:.

Think I'd best go to bed and sleep on it while you good folk out there have a good laugh at my efforts but hopefully come up with some suggestions.

ggoode.sa
Jan-20-2009, 11:00
Hi Mike,
The first flight of virtual pipe organ setups are often a little bumpy! Well done for getting so far so quickly :-)

Now to some questions/suggestions...
Have you tried increasing the 'Estimated Latency' setting in the MyOrgan Audio Settings tab?
In ASIO4ALL, are you using the Hardware Buffer (which works best at lower ASIO Buffer Size) - available in the Advanced options view?
Have you tried increasing the Kernel Buffers?

And to help us help you...
What soundcard do you have?
Which sample set have you downloaded to use?

Hope you come right with the audio stutter soon.

GrahamG

Dorsetmike
Jan-20-2009, 13:36
"Stutter" cured, had to put latency up to 25ms in Myorgan.

Sample set Jeux d' Orgues.

Soundcard is onboard, SigmaTel, seems to work better with that selected than the ASIO4ALL

So far unable to get any signs of life from the pedals even with the buttons GO/PD, POS/PD and POS/GO selected, nor any combinations thereof.

Also at the moment I can't yet see a way to convert the single Notepad output into separated Midi inputs for Myorgan, I can see lots of research ahead, still it keeps me off the streets!!

ggoode.sa
Jan-20-2009, 15:32
Hi Mike,

What MIDI channels have you configured for Manual 1 (Pedal), Manual 2 (Great), and Manual 3 (Swell) in the MyOrgan MIDI Message tab of the Audio setup? These are the MIDI Channels that Finale Notepad needs to send messages to... I don't use Finale Notepad but hopefully that's enough info to point you in the right direction.
GrahamG

Dorsetmike
Jan-20-2009, 18:45
That's the problem Graham, Notepad outputs on just one channel. I've dowmloaded a midi editor "midiswing", done 3 copy/pastes to split the Notepad score into pedal, great and pos, play and output pedal part on midiyoke1 to channel 1 on midiswing, record it, Great on m'yoke2, pos on m'yoke3 in turn play and record in midiswing, then play the resultant midiswing outputs to Myorgan, at least that is the intention, I've got as far as individual pedal, great and pos midis that i will try to play separately to Myorgan before trying to do anything with midiswing.

Time for me to go do some cooking before I starve, cya later.

PS Graham I'm on Skype if you're about later. Skype ID = Dorsetmikeb.

greatcyber
Jan-21-2009, 23:00
Mike, did you also download Midi-ox when you got the midi yoke? It is a great utility as you will find. It tells you which channels are being utilized and by what and is easily customizable.

I'm playing with a program now called midi notate. Will let you know how it works out.

I just wish Hauptwerk wasn't so difficult as it seems to have addressed all issues already. Not to mention the cost. But if I can't get a demo version to work for me, why would I purchase a licensed version?

A very basic program available at www.organtool.nl (http://www.magle.dk/music-forums/www.organtool.nl) is a SIMPLE stand-alone utility for a basic organ. It's companion product www.organizer.nl (http://www.magle.dk/music-forums/www.organizer.nl) allows you to select a soundfont such as jeux, and then click to select stops and save presets to memory. It is completely FREE.

I have noteworthy coposer as well as finale but so far haven't played around with them much yet. But I also have a dearth of other programs, such as Sonar, Acid Pro, Cubase, etc. But then my intention is to work on orchestrations at some point.

Native Instruments has a free Kore player with some sound banks and Battery 2 or 3 have some wonderful digitized and synthesized sounds. Some of the pipe organs sound very nice. One is even the Hauptwerk all stops.

Dorsetmike
Jan-21-2009, 23:23
Hi Stephen, Finalé notepad seems to be doing what I want so far, so also Myorgan, it's getting files from one to the other. I can send the notepad output as a midi file, but then Myorgan appears to play notes from the bass on the pedals OK except when you want to go above the "cut off point", or you want notes for the great to go below its cut off point if you see what I mean.

So my next exercise was to split the music into three separate midi files, one for pedal one for great and one for positiv (I'm using the Jeux d' Orgues set) and sending via midi yoke, I can then get Myorgan to play what I want on pedal, or great or positiv; ONLY PROBLEM then is Notepad will only output one channel at a time.

I've spent most of the last 2 days looking for a free midi application which will merge the three parts into one 3 tracked midi file and also allow production of a control track for changing stops etc.

I think I have the "how to" sorted, it's now down to what to do it with. I'll have a look at Midiox and continue my search for midi freeware. What I am beginning tio hate is the so called freeware which is actally crippleware with no save or output facilities, bluddy useless, they are often the ones you would like, but having got you interested enough to look at the price you find they want an arm and both legs, which on a pension is a non starter.

musicalis
Jan-26-2009, 13:11
If I have understood well, Notepad can play only one midi channel at a time. So, let me please give you a small advice :
Download Harmony-assistant (http://www.myriad-online.com/en/products/harmony.htm) (or Melody-assistant (easier to use) from Myriad-online and instal it.
Run HA and import your midifile in H-A, set correct midi channel for each staff and start playing. One midiYoke port is enough.
harmony-assistant is free to download. if you don't register, you cannot save your work and you can only print one page, but all the other features of this software are available.
I know that H-A can also import Finale files, so it is possible it can import also Finale notepad files.
Jean-Paul

Dorsetmike
Jan-26-2009, 13:39
Hi, Jean-Paul, the Finale notepad files are .mus files same as other finalé aplications so that should not be a problem with HA. What I have done so far is to generate .mid files for each staff and try to import them to various midi editor and sequencer programmes to attempt to produce a multi channel .mid file so far without success.

Reading the HA website it does look as though it should do what I want, so another one to try!!

musicalis
Jan-26-2009, 15:01
Do you want I make a multi channels midifile for you or do you want one of my file for H.A to test MyOrgan ?

M. Satterbloom
Feb-03-2009, 03:35
I have finally got MyOrgan to work the way I want it. What I had to do was change the sound output device to ASIO4ALL. Thank you for your help in referring me to ASIO.

One more thing that I would like to know is if anyone knows of a good (and free) way for me to have reverberation to eliminate that dry sound.

Analogicus
Feb-04-2009, 22:33
If it has to be free, it can be done by using a reverb plug-in and a VST hosting program, which you install in your computer. I have had success doing this with MyOrgan. The hosting program I use is Cantabile12 Lite (free download) and the plug-in is Omniverb (also free download). Another free hosting program is VSTHOST, but I find the the Cantabile much easier to use and understand. Other reverb plug-ins are available.
I spent a lot of time getting the settings right, probably because my level of understanding still leaves a lot to be desired. In my case I found it a challenge to have sufficient reverberation (which with Omniverb is very nice) without having the whole thing howl because of feedback. It may just be a matter of knowing what the correct work-around is with settings, etc., but that is not quite within my grasp yet. However, the final result is very pleasing, and far better than without it.
I normally use Cantabile to host a software synthesizer called "sfz" along with Omniverb (whose full file name is jb_omniverb.exe), and in this case there is no feedback problem.

Analogicus

Analogicus
Feb-07-2009, 03:08
Further to my previous post, today I checked out MyOrgan and the reverb using Cantabile and Omniverb, as I described. I did this both on my desktop PC, and on my wife's laptop, on which I have also installed my organ programs. I can report that I am no longer having that feedback problem, so Omniverb can be used quite unfettered. I have written down my settings so that I get it right next time. The difference a day makes......
I have also begun to have another look at VSTHOST, to see if I can get my head around it. As a free program which offers lots of flexibility, it deserves another look.

Analogicus

ggoode.sa
Feb-07-2009, 08:00
Hi Analogicus,

What sound driver are you using with MyOrgan that allows you to use a VST as well? DirectSound or ASIO?

Sounds like a winning formula!

GrahamG

Analogicus
Feb-07-2009, 22:25
Graham,
MyOrgan is only allowing me to choose either my Audigy 2ZS Direct Sound setting, or ASIO4ALL. Cantabile offers me all the possibilities for a sound driver setting, but it doesn't seem to be working with ASIO4ALL in this case! So Direct Sound it is (with no latency, by the way).
However........ I am now hearing what seems to be a slight "tremulant" or "vibrato" with higher settings of the Omniverb, which I hadn't noticed before, and which I think is quite undesirable. So perhaps back to the drawing board......

Analogicus

P.S. I have just editted this post to include this P.S. Having rebooted the computer after having breakfast and a shower (!), I find that the tremulant etc. mentioned above is no longer there. In any event it ws almost inaudible anyway. Such is the fickleness of computers and their users. So perhaps my set-up is worth serious consideration after all. (But I have learnt, with computers, not to be certain about anything!)
Regarding my settings, Omniverb allows me to stop the feed-through of the direct signal, but to output only the reverberation content. I have stopped it, partly to reduce any tendency to feedback. There is still plenty of "direct" sound to be heard. Whether this is an idiosyncracy of my particular set-up, I have no idea. (In some other and unrelated use of Omniverb and Cantabile, it became obvious to me that in that case the direct feed-through should certainly be allowed - otherwise it makes you think you have terrible latency - Omniverb introduces a delay as part of its reverb simulation, although it can all be adjusted at will.

Analogicus
Feb-08-2009, 22:17
M. Satterbloom,
I notice from your most recent post that you require the use of ASIO4ALL to get a satisfactory result. Since my reverberation set-up does not seem to work with ASIO4ALL selected (at least, for me), it seems my suggestion is not much use to you.
Another possibility, of course, is to buy a hardware reverberation device which you insert between your computer audio output and your audio amplifer. At least this allows you to direct the reverberation to a SEPARATE amplifer and speaker(s) if you so choose, which IMHO is desirable anyway. Also, it makes life a bit easier for your computer CPU, in giving it a bit less work to do.

Analogicus

musicalis
Feb-09-2009, 01:45
Hi

I have made these two tutorials for adding reverb to My Organ

http://organ.monespace.net/pages/44.php

http://organ.monespace.net/pages/25.php

Listen to my Baroque funeral march in pipe organ forum pour hear an example of this reverb.

jrschroeder
Feb-09-2009, 06:25
Hello

Given that you have a working virtual organ (a set of MyOrgan compliant files) how do you cause some/all of the sample files to be loaded compressed?

Regards John

ggoode.sa
Feb-09-2009, 08:04
Hi John,
This is an either/or setting, so either all the wav files load compressed or all the wav files load in full 'un-compressed' state.
In the MyOrgan menubar, click on 'Audio' > 'Settings' - this will load the Devices and MIDI Messages tabs. In the Devices tab you will see the Midi input devices, the Sound output device, and then the 'Enhancements' box underneath the Sound output section. In the Enhancements box is a check-box for 'Lossless compression'. Make sure that this check box has a checkmark in it and all the organs loaded in MyOrgan will load compressed.

Have fun!
GrahamG