The Tesla Motors Electric Car

Frederik Magle

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Regulator
I thinks this could be the real breakthrough in electric cars. Until now, electric cars has mostly been slow, impractical and most of them rather unaesthetic to look at as well (to add insult to injury).

However, this basically changes with the new Tesla Motors roadster. It goes from 0-60mph (0-97 km/h) in just 4 seconds. It looks good, and it can drive more than 200 miles on a charge. For the first time I see electric cars having a real future and not just as experimental cars. This looks like a real roadster that can compete favorably with engine based cars.

As I see it the only drawback that still remains is the range. Even though 200 miles on a full charge (which takes 3-4 hours I believe) is a big improvement it's still impractical compared to regular cars (which can of course be filled with gas in a matter of minutes). However, if they can increase the range and bring down the time it takes to charge further I see no reason why electric cars won't be the standard of cars in 15-20 years from now.

The key to that is that the driving pleasure (speed and handling) and comfort must not be compromised. The car must be as fast (or faster) and comfortable as normal car - I don't want a slow and ugly car, few people wants that. Tesla Motors gets this and I have a feeling most other car manufactures will follow suit sooner rather than later.

What do you think, a technological experiment with little real-world influence or a glimpse of the future to come?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oi4wILg3V-Y[/youtube]

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Finally, an electric car with real sporty design. The $100k (USD) pricetag is well out of reach for me personally. The age old question keeps arising with these type of vehicles - battery replacement - and what to do with the spent batteries.

I agree that this is the car of the future - major drawback is the limited range, but for the average commute, this would be wonderful. Wonder how well these will do in the warm climates like the Arizona desert where I live - gotta have A/C in the cars or you'll roast like a peanut in a shell. :rolleyes: :grin:

Frederik Magle

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Regulator
As a funny aside note, the car would actually be very inexpensive for a high-end sports car in Denmark. The reason is this: In Denmark, on top of a 25% sales tax we pay an outrageous 180% "registration fee" (car tax) on every car! - except electric cars which are currently exempt from the car tax, so only the 25% sales tax would apply. That will make the Tesla Motors roadster only slightly more expensive than a Mazda RX-8 and cheaper than the smallest BMW Z4. Still not an inexpensive car, but an absolute steal compared to the competition.

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Whoa!! That's a real hefty tax rate there in DK ... is that 180% registration fee imposed on used cars, too?

Corno Dolce

Admiral Honkenwheezenpooferspieler
Dear Sir Frederik,

Please clue me in: 180% of what? I have a Mazda RX-8 which I bought for $30,000. I found out that my car costs $60,000 in Sweden. They really get you there. Hypothetically speaking, if everyone in Denmark were to drive the Tesla, the Danish Government might have to cancel the exemption for electric cars for economic reasons.

Krummhorn, if the economies of scale were to kick in, ergo, mass production, then the prices would fall precipitously and most likely be within reach of most middle-class citizens.

Corno Dolce

I am soooooooo tempted to buy one - sheeesh, run away from most Porsches - with only 250 horsepower??????? Well, yes - the torque figures probably match the horsepower figures plus the car is very light.

Krummhorn - you do touch on a topic about AC in the car. the 240 miles per charge might conceivably drop to 120 miles per charge if you use the AC.

Frederik Magle

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Regulator
Dear Corno Dolce,

Sorry for the late reply :)- A Mazda RX-8 costs approximately 94,000$ (480,687 Dkr currently) for the smallest and most basic model (without any extras) here. I don't believe there is any place in the world where cars are more expensive than in Denmark :(

Anyhow, the exemption of taxes for electric cars has just been prolonged to 2012, so cars like the tesla could really be a hit in this country.

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Frederik,

Does the registration tax also apply to cars brought in from another country? Or is Denmark trying to encourage more people to use alternate methods of transportation.

Corno Dolce

Dear Sir Frederik,

No problem that it took you so long to reply - you have been very busy earning your keep.

$94,000 dollars for a Mazda RX-8 in Denmark??? - Lord Have Mercy!!! Pardon my French but it sounds like the Danish Govenment *shits* money :crazy::crazy::crazy:

Tax exemption until 2012, eh? Thats not a long time - Sheeeesh!!! Oh well, hopefully the next Prime Minister of Denmark will see fit to put a permanent tax exemption in place for the Tesla - its worth it...

Cheers,

Corno Dolce

intet_at_tabe

Rear Admiral Appassionata (Ret.)
Dear Corno Dolce,

Sorry for the late reply :)- A Mazda RX-8 costs approximately 94,000$ (480,687 Dkr currently) for the smallest and most basic model (without any extras) here. I don't believe there is any place in the world where cars are more expensive than in Denmark :(

Anyhow, the exemption of taxes for electric cars has just been prolonged to 2012, so cars like the tesla could really be a hit in this country.

Hi Frederik

Ain´t it the truth. Denmark has the highest prizes on cars anywhere on the planet, not to mention the gasolin itself. 10,65 danish kroners equals 1,5 US dollars for only one tiny liter of gasolin. You can buy a rocket for the moon at the same amount of money as the four-wheel-drive equals the US built SUV - in Denmark.

But then I don´t have to worry about BMW´s anymore or any other thing with a motor and four wheels on it, they took my drivers licence away two years ago :cry::cry::cry::cry:.

So I use a cap, a bus, a bike on three wheels, the train or the car of a friend or simply the "horses of the apostles", which in danish relate to your own feet.

Last edited:

intet_at_tabe

Muza dear

Here´s the right car for you, of course in red - like The woman in red, like the colour of red equalises revolution and LOVE or the Danish mail boxes:

marval

Sorry Intet

Just thought I would ask, now Zoot has offered to be my chauffeur.

Margaret

intet_at_tabe

Sorry Intet

Just thought I would ask, now Zoot has offered to be my chauffeur.

Margaret

Honestly Ms. Margaret :tiphat:

I felt like Mat, when I saw your post ready to roll on the floor LMAO :lol::lol::lol::lol:.

Okay so here are the credentials of this "The Stealth Red Baron Pedal Car", you saw from the front. But let me first introduce the completely new idea of having both a car for driving in the city, or small trips to the market, tranportation for daycare for pets during education in Kung Fu etc.etc.

But in the country or in rush hours leaving the city, you only have to press a switch on the instrumentation board and suddenly the car will change into The Stealth Red Baron Pedaled Airplane and you´re: Flying on a jetplane, don´t know when you´ll be back again. No problems with parking, no problems with traffic lights, nor SUV´s not even the local bobby´s:

redbaron1.jpg

I do feel comfortable that Zoot has offered you this pedal deal as chauffeur, though. Best of driving/flying time with The Stealth Red Baron Pedal Airplane.

marval

Hi Intet

Thank you, that looks very good, and a plane as well. You might not see me again.

Definately the one for me and Zoot.

Margaret