Your favorite jazz standard

Mat

Sr. Regulator
Staff member
Sr. Regulator
Regulator
This is one impressive post of yours, intet-at-tabe:).

I see Miles Davies really is one of your favorites. Indeed, on stage he wasn't too talkative. In fact he was very clear about that. His job was to play, not to talk to the odeons. It often caused problems. Some of people (also reviewers) couldn't accept that. But despite numerous criticism he never significantly changed.

So Mat you´re classical educated and play oboe, piano, cello and have dreams for the soprano saxophone.

That cello thing was rather an accident. It didn't bring much into my life. However thanks to oboe I could go to a tournée and different oboe courses. This really helped me with the stage fright;).

rojo

(Ret)
rojo

You obviously know your Frank Sinatra song list, all jazz standards. Frank Sinatra as a jazz singer a
favourite of mine too.

If you know of Keith Jarrett, then you know that the song "Somewhere Over The Rainbow" is his personal favourite jazz standard, one of mine too.

Best wishes for you as well in 2008,
intet-at-tabe
Hi intet-at-tabe,

I do like old blue eyes a lot, but I didn't really have him in mind in particular when I made that short list. I've definitely heard him sing Fly Me To The Moon, and Lady Is A Tramp, but not all the others.

I think I recall hearing Oliver Jones playing Somewhere Over The Rainbow, and that was pretty great. I like Judy Garland's classic rendition as well.

Caravan I've heard a number of times by various artists. Neat tune.

I've heard Linda Ronstadt (and others) sing What's New; enjoyed that, with arrangements by Nelson Riddle.

Do you think Brubeck's Take Five is a jazz standard? Or Herbie Hancock's Watermelon Man?

intet_at_tabe

Rear Admiral Appassionata (Ret.)
Hi intet-at-tabe,

I do like old blue eyes a lot, but I didn't really have him in mind in particular when I made that short list. I've definitely heard him sing Fly Me To The Moon, and Lady Is A Tramp, but not all the others.

I think I recall hearing Oliver Jones playing Somewhere Over The Rainbow, and that was pretty great. I like Judy Garland's classic rendition as well.

Caravan I've heard a number of times by various artists. Neat tune.

I've heard Linda Ronstadt (and others) sing What's New; enjoyed that, with arrangements by Nelson Riddle.

Do you think Brubeck's Take Five is a jazz standard? Or Herbie Hancock's Watermelon Man?

Hi rojo

In every music style there are some musicians, who rank higher than others. Duke Ellington´s "Take the A train" is not only a jazz standard for it´s own time, but in jazz throughout decades. "Strangers in the night" and "My way", originally written by Paul Anka, the same goes for ole Blue Eyes. Like the Dave Brubeck Quartet and the classic jazz standard for it´s time "Take Five". DB from 1951 with Paul Desmond (alto saxophone), Eugene Wright (bass) and Joe Morello (drums) and later with Gerry Mulligan.

I am a bit short on Herbie Hancock outside his days with The Miles Davis Quintet, and only recently I´ve got two albums with him "The Essentials" Sony/BMG songs from 1962-95, where "Watermelon man" is on disc one first tune. Definitely a classic Hancock tune, but whether it´s a jazz standard I don´t know. If you believe it is, I take your word for it. The other album "Directions in Music" from Verve 2002. Quite a jump from "Watermelon man".

You mentioned "Caravan". Have you heard the guitarist Bireli Lagrene out of the Django Reinhardt school (incredible acoustic guitarist as well as on electric) play "Caravan"? Awesome.

My ultimate Frank Sinatra song is "In the wee small hours of the morning". It has that Chicago like jazz club feeling over it, late at night in a basement room, filled with smoke.

The Nelson Riddle Orchestra made a lot of albums and performances with Frank Sinatra.

Best regards,
intet-at-tabe

Last edited:

intet_at_tabe

This is one impressive post of yours, intet-at-tabe:).

I see Miles Davies really is one of your favorites. Indeed, on stage he wasn't too talkative. In fact he was very clear about that. His job was to play, not to talk to the odeons. It often caused problems. Some of people (also reviewers) couldn't accept that. But despite numerous criticism he never significantly changed.

That cello thing was rather an accident. It didn't bring much into my life. However thanks to oboe I could go to a tournée and different oboe courses. This really helped me with the stage fright;).

Hi Mat

You´re so right about your Miles comments. But take Keith Jarrett in the same department about audiences and rewievers. Many people around the planet, who love his improvised solo-piano concerts, but HATE his singing/humming along with playing the piano, even dancing behind the piano as well. I don´t mind one bit, to Jarrett I believe he could not play or improvise, if he could not humn. To Jarrett it´s as natural as breathing air.

Have you heard of a jazz cello player called DAVID DARLING? Tell all of us some day about your touring experiences on the oboe, please!

It pleases me to hear you got rid of your stage fright, I happen to know what you mean.

Best regards,
intet-at-tabe

rojo

(Ret)
What a 'faux-pas'; I really should have said Paul Desmond's Take Five... :eek:

You're very polite not to rub it in my face, intet-at-tabe, and to make up for my careless error, I'll post the tune! :grin:

From 1961, the Dave Brubeck Quartet-
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDOgYw5-pNs[/youtube]

Well, just to say, my favourite version of Watermelon Man is actually Mongo Santamaria's. The tune is probably not a jazz standard, although it has been covered a fair amount, I think.

Another tune Sinatra sings that I like a lot is I Get A Kick Out Of You. I'll probably think of others...

Will be checking out the version of Caravan you suggest. :)

What the heck; here's Mongo Santamaria's Watermelon Man-

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjJaH40rArU[/youtube]

It always gets me bopping my head. :grin:

Last edited:

intet_at_tabe

rojo

I hate to tell you this, but my speakers are out of order. But as soon as they are on again, I´ll rush to this post from you.

Best regards,
intet-at-tabe

intet_at_tabe

What a 'faux-pas'; I really should have said Paul Desmond's Take Five... :eek:

You're very polite not to rub it in my face, intet-at-tabe, and to make up for my careless error, I'll post the tune! :grin:

From 1961, the Dave Brubeck Quartet-
[youtube]DDOgYw5-pNs[/youtube]

Hi rojo,

It´s easy and all free to be polite.

The song "Caravan" played by Bireli Lagrene and The West Deutscher Rundfunk Big band, can be found on the album BL´s album "Djangology", tune 9, Dreyfus Jazz 2006.

Later in Dave Brubeck´s career, when his sons Chris B. (bass and trombone) and Danny B. (drums) had grown up, they formed a trio sometimes with the additional Bill Smith (el. bass). Since Dave Brubeck seemed to work better in a quartet. For instance on "Iola", I think it was on Concord Jazz 1984.

Paul Desmond was a terrific saxophone player, and of course Gerry Mulligan too.

Best regards,
intet-at-tabe

intet_at_tabe

Your favourite Jazz Standard the headline originally said.

Now this might come as a surprice to Corno Dolce and all of you, when I mention my all time favourite jazz musician, my personal numero uno is Keith Jarrett (here should be a laughing emoticon). The jazz standard favourite is "The Song Is You", 17:33 minutes, the album "Still Live" ECM Records 1988. "The Song Is You", composed by the two jazz notabilities Jerome Kern/Oscar Hammerstein. KJ and the Trio has played this one on other records as well, like he has done "All the things you are" or "All of you", but my heart points at this double album and this song. (I still got the old vinyl version as well in a safety deposite box (what happened to the emoticons?)).

One could ask in all honesty, how can a guy none educated in music, never actually played an instrument, and yet LOVE Keith Jarrett and the Standards Trio as my mentors in jazz equillibrism. Highly - all of them - educated musicians towards an ameteur and big mouth.

The first time I listened to it, I was quite overwhelmed by KJ´s attack on the piano from the beginning of the song soloing, like someone in a duel, using both the low and the high register. Imagine thinking of the song itself, that I have known before KJ: Thing isn´t the way it used to be. But then as always KJ find his way into the real deal, assistet by a very inflamatory agressive Jack DeJohnette setting the speed, while Gary Peacock probaly thinking: It´s always the same, neither Keith nor Jack can play the same piece the same way - ever. They have to improvise.

There is a DVD, where Gary Peacock tell this smiling and shaking his head a bit. They are all old- oletimers.

This is in particular to me an admirable ability, what I really enjoy by the Standards Trio, always innovative, always ready, set and go.

Through the song Jarrett/Peacock/DeJohnette demonstrates from a high court of distinguished musicianship, why they have been among the 10 top jazz musicians live on each their instruments and as the Standards Trio for the past 25 years, always in the highest gear, alert and the close admiration for one another in companionship as friends outside the world stages, the interaction with each other, everything work.

As I said, this might have been a surprice to you and Corno Dolce, but now and forever more you all know.

Best regards,
the somehow amputated intet-

Last edited:

Corno Dolce

Admiral Honkenwheezenpooferspieler
Hi Intet,

Please share why I should be surprised that KJ is your fav Jazz musician? For those who are serious about Jazz, its a perfect match. Imagine if Jarrett and DeJohnette had Ron Carter as trio member? That would have been simply fabulous in my humble opinion.

Cheers,

Corno Dolce

P.s. Back on topic: "80/81" by Pat Metheny.

Mat

Sr. Regulator
Staff member
Sr. Regulator
Regulator
Hi intet,

Have you heard of a jazz cello player called DAVID DARLING?

No, I haven't. Can you tell something more 'bout him?

Tell all of us some day about your touring experiences on the oboe, please!

You bet:grin::):grin:.

Remember you told me about this jazz oboist - Paul McCandless? I did some searching and found out more about him. I even managed to get some albums of his. Right now I'm listening to 'Isole'. On this album he plays oboe, soprano saxophone, bass clarinet and english horn. You can also hear Bebo Ferra (guitar), Paolino Dalla Porta (contrabass) and Fulvio Maras (drums). I've also listened to John Surman's 'Morning Glory' but didn't like it too much. However, thank you for all your advices:).

Regards,
Mat

intet_at_tabe

Hi Intet,

Please share why I should be surprised that KJ is your fav Jazz musician? For those who are serious about Jazz, its a perfect match. Imagine if Jarrett and DeJohnette had Ron Carter as trio member? That would have been simply fabulous in my humble opinion.

Cheers,

Corno Dolce

P.s. Back on topic: "80/81" by Pat Metheny.

Hi Corno Dolce

A stupid remark ;):):grin: meant to be funny, since you of all people and I share Keith Jarrett and Pat Metheny and Ron Carter as favs, which to me almost is a miracle. It would be obvious, that you would definitely know my statement about KJ and the Standards Trio with the song "The Song Is You", saying this might be a surprice to Corno Dolce, would be false.

So in respect back at you again at my usual self leaving the jokes department, I´ll give you Ron Carter "Parade" feat. another great tenor saxophone player Joe Henderson, Chick Corea (piano) and Tony Williams (drums) with a brass band to finish the whole set.

You hit another Pat Metheny album 80/81 ECM Records 1980 - AWESOME album feat. the late Michael Brecker and the late Dewey Redman (tenor saxophones), Charlie Haden (double bass) and Jack DeJohnette (drums). My favs on this particular album are the first song CD 1 ""Two Folk Songs" and "The Bat". On CD 2 "Every Day (I Thank You)" and the final acoustic solo guitar "Goin Ahead".

Best regards compadre,
intet-at-tabe

Last edited:

intet_at_tabe

Hi intet,

No, I haven't. Can you tell something more 'bout him?

You bet:grin::):grin:.

Remember you told me about this jazz oboist - Paul McCandless? I did some searching and found out more about him. I even managed to get some albums of his. Right now I'm listening to 'Isole'. On this album he plays oboe, soprano saxophone, bass clarinet and english horn. You can also hear Bebo Ferra (guitar), Paolino Dalla Porta (contrabass) and Fulvio Maras (drums). I've also listened to John Surman's 'Morning Glory' but didn't like it too much. However, thank you for all your advices:).

Regards,
Mat

Hi Mat, hows ya been dude.

Do I remember? :);):grin::cool: Yes I do my dear polish friend. I have been thinking all week of you. How is Mat doing? Now I know.

I am delighted that you found the albums with Paul McCandless, and even listened to John Surman as well. I don´t know of the album you call "Isole" with PM, not the musicians either, but I thank you for giving me the oppotunity to find it, which I will.

David Darling is a classical educated cellist, but has moved in to the jazz department as well, also playing electric 4 and 8 string cellos. On ECM he recorded an album with a very interesting group of musicians from diferent parts of the world. The album is titled "Cycles" ECM Records 1981 feat. Darling (cello, el. cello), Jan Garbarek (tenor and soprano saxophone), Arild Andersen (double bass) the late Colin Walcott (from OREGON like Paul McCandless) on tabla, zitar, perc., Oscar Neves (acoustic guitar) and Steve Kuhn (piano). Beautiful music.

David Darling (USA), like another cello player Jacques Morelenbaum (Brazil) have played with jazz musicians like the above mentioned, with Egberto Gismonti on his album "Infancia" and "Musica De Sobrevivenca" ECM Records 1991 and 1993 feat. Gismonti (piano, synthezisers, 8 and 10 string acoustic guitars), Nando Carneiro (acoustic guitar, synthezisers) Zeca Assumpcao (double bass) amd Jacques Morelenbaum (cello). The latter also with the rock musician STING (former Police) on STING´s albums "Fields of Gold", "All This Time" and "Sacred Love", A & M Records 1994/01/03.

David Darling, born 1941 in Elkhart, Indiana, USA. Studies both at Indiana University classical musical line and the Berklee School of Music. Tutored by former concert cellist Fritz Maag and personal cello teacher Janos Starker. From 1969 member of the group Winter Consort, which combined jazz and renaissance music with an ethnic touch. From the late 1970´s DD recorded with Glen Moore (double bass), known from the band OREGON and Zbigniew Seifert (violin ). From 1979 attachted to ECM Records. Recorded with Ralph Towner (leader of OREGON) 6-12 string acoustic guitars, piano, french horn on the album "Old Friends, New Friends", ECM Records 1979 feat. Kenny Wheeler (trumpet and flugelhorn), David Darling (cello, el. cello), Eddie Gomez (double bass) and Michael DiPasqua (drums, perc.). Solo album by DD "Journal October" 1979. In 1980/81 in the group Gallery feat. John Clark (french horn), Paul McCandless (you already know) and David Samuels (vibraphone and marimba, perc.). In 1982 with the norwegian el. guitar/syntheziser guitarist Terje Rypdal on the duo album "EOS", introducing his 8 string el. cello.

So my dear polish highly estimated friend Mat now you know a bit more about David Darling, I hope you can use it. I hope the weather compliments you Mat and is better in Poland than in Denmark, thinking of a song called "Rain".

One question for you Mat out of pure curiosity. Do you have libraries near by you, where you can borrow music on CD´s ?

Best regards to you Mat, be well, always safe and do not be a stranger,
intet-at-tabe

Last edited:

Corno Dolce

"Guess I'll Hang My Tears Out To Dry" with Jarrett, Peacock, and DeJohnette has now become my fav Jazz standard. I've had it repeat-playing in my car stereo for a least a week and I'm not even tired of it - its always fresh and new with every repeat - how many pieces of music can accomplish that?

intet_at_tabe

"Guess I'll Hang My Tears Out To Dry" with Jarrett, Peacock, and DeJohnette has now become my fav Jazz standard. I've had it repeat-playing in my car stereo for a least a week and I'm not even tired of it - its always fresh and new with every repeat - how many pieces of music can accomplish that?

Corno Dolce

I guess, when one can not drive his car without listening to "Guess I´ll Hang My Tears Out To Dry" repeatedly, then it must be a favoruite of yours.

Best regards,
intet-at-tabe

Last edited:

Mat

Sr. Regulator
Staff member
Sr. Regulator
Regulator
Hello intet,

First off, I'd like to thank you for the post about David Darling. Lots of informations, all very interesing and useful.

The weather out here is hopeless... As I worte earlier in other posts there is no snow and instead of it we have rain and temperatures don't even go below 0°C. Days are short and I couldn't even make a snowman...:p

One question for you Mat out of pure curiosity. Do you have libraries near by you, where you can borrow music on CD´s ?

Yes, I have but to be honest I don't use them. Usually I borrow CDs form my friends or simply use Internet as a source.:)

Take care and 'don't worry, be happy' as Bobby sung,
Mat

Corno Dolce

Hello Intet,

Well, there is a decent climate-control system in the car so that I can listen to the sublime music undisturbed. The music lets me forget about that which bothers me so that I can concentrate on driving in a proper manner. I have the music on my Ipod and so does my lady, so that is what we have with us when we visit Prague for our Honeymoon.

Respectfully yours,

Corno Dolce

intet_at_tabe

Corno Dolce

Honeymoon, Wow!! Congratulations to the both of you, it pleases me to hear. I´ll write you a PM.

Now for the topic:

Alex Riel (drums) if not the very best drummer in Denmark, then the most experienced with more than 40 years behind the drums and cymbals playing in different groups playing different styles of music. Our host Frederik Magle (organ) has recorded in 1994 on RCA with both Alex Riel, the late NHØP and Niels Lan Doky (look below) among others. The songs on the album reflects the adventures of the world famous danish writer of adventures Hans Christian Andersen. Hip Hip Frederik!! The title in danish is "Sangen er et eventyr", forgive me Frederik if I translate wrong: The song is an adventure.

Alex Riel, who originally was educated as a hair dresser, until his father gave up any further discussions on the subject.

From Alex Riel´s album "Unriel" Stunt Records 1997 feat. Niels Lan Doky (remarkable danish pianist), Jerry Bergonzi/Michael Brecker (tenor saxophone) Mike Stern (el. guitar) and finally Eddie Gomez (double bass).

In the middle of the 1960´s former Miles Davis pianist Bill Evans was going on an extended Europe tour. One problem though. He did not have his ordinary drummer. So what does one do? Alex Riel exitedly responded the call from over the pond. Done deal. Alex toured with The Bill Evans Trio with Eddie Gomez on the double bass throughout Europe, and made himself known to any european jazz audience. Coincidence?

Best regards,
intet-at-tabe

Last edited:

NEB

HUH? Did I hear Honeymoon? Is that a great big wopping congratulations? :tiphat: :cheers: