Jean Luc-Fillon

Mat

Sr. Regulator
Staff member
Sr. Regulator
Regulator
Does anyone know where can I find recordings of this great jazz musician? I've heard few of his songs and they are all great. Maybe some of you have his music (exchange appreciated). Thanks in advance. You can watch him here:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TIP8swMSi8[/youtube]

Enjoy:)

Last edited by a moderator:

intet_at_tabe

Rear Admiral Appassionata (Ret.)
Hi Mat

I hope you see this post for you. Remember we talked about Antonio Carlos Jobim "The girl from Ipanema"? I took the liberty to seach on my lokal library to give you some of the very best musicians in the USA and elsewhere, who has recorded brazilian composers music like Jobim for Jazz:

FormatMed kompakt beholdningMed komplet beholdningMARC ReserverHusk
JAZZ. ANTOLOGIER
Bossa nova moods : the complete collection. - [S.l.] : Verve, p 1999. - 2 cd'er

Verve 841396-2/44.
Indspilninger publiceret 1964-1975.
Indhold: Stan Getz: The girl form Ipanema / Stan Getz/Astrud Gilberto ; Samba dees days / Stan Getz/Charlie Byrd ; So danco samba / Stan Getz/Charlie Byrd ; O pato / Stan Getz/Charlie Byrd ; Desafinado / Stan Getz/Charlie Byrd ; E luxo so / Stan Getz/Charlie Byrd ; O grande amor / Stan Getz/João Gilberto. Baden Powell: Tristeza ; Canto de Ossanha ; Manha de carneval. Bob Brookmeyer: Samba de Orfeu ; A felicidade. Luiz Henrique: Minha lagoa ; If you want to be a lover ; Kee-ka-roo / Luiz Henrique/Walter Wanderley. Wes Montgomery: How insensitive. Astrud Gilberto: Aqua de beber ; The shadow of your smile ; Once I loved. Quincy Jones: Bossa nova USA ; Soul bossa nova. Bobby Hackett: Nunca me deixes / Bobby Hackett/Billy Butterfield. Cal Tjader: Souled out ; Cal's bluedo. João Gilberto: Samba da minha terra. George Benson: Carnival joys. Oscar Peterson: Triste. Marcos Valle: Crickets sing for Anamaria. Luiz Bonfa: Domingo a noite. Antonio Carlos Jobim: Favela. Toots Thielemans: Big bossa.

I hope you´re doing well after the ending of your holidays, and you can use the above info to get some of these Jazz artists. Stan Getz (tenor saxophone) lost his heart to both Brazil and Denmark, during his years on the jazz scene, though he was born in America. Both the danish double bass player NHØP and the drummer Alex Riel became the steady backing for Getz whenever he visited Europe for many years.

Some of it is in danish, so I translate it to english. The name Verve is the record label, the following number is the number of this particular 2 CD set and the year of recordings first released/published in 1964-75. Remastered in 1999.

Best regards,
intet-at-tabe

Last edited:

Mat

Sr. Regulator
Staff member
Sr. Regulator
Regulator
Hi:),

Thanks again for the links. You're here for like a week and you already helped me so much. Is there anything I can do for you?

intet_at_tabe

Hi:),

Thanks again for the links. You're here for like a week and you already helped me so much. Is there anything I can do for you?

Stay confident in yourself in your continued success. In peace with every soul around you - "Smile" - Charlie Chaplin. Be proud, though never arrogant. "Don´t worry, be happy", quote by Bobby McFerrin. Always keep your mind and heart open, and you´ll reach your goals musically and towards life itself (we only have the one).

The following quote, which I hope you can implement and use for yourself, is signed by Keith Jarrett - Gary Peacock - Jack DeJohnette 1993, post Miles Davis´ departure:

"Miles was a medium, a transformer, a touchstone, a magnetic field; the authentic minimalist (where, although there were so few notes, there was so much in those few notes). No matter how much "noise" there was around him, Miles always came from silence, the notes existing in a purity all their own (the opposite of a vacuum, which is most of minimalism). Miles proved the impotency of the "technicians", the potency of pure desire.

We are now left with a large hole in which every improviser should (must) question his/her purity of desire, for without a touchstone there is no reflective surface. This is why touchstones are so important, and also shows that in every age we need touchstones to keep the path illuminated enough that we don´t forget it is there (because we are so enamored of "our" "ability"). Miles never forgot the music; we will never forget Miles".

Best regards for you Mat,
intet-at-tabe

Last edited:

intet_at_tabe

Hi Mat - NEWS FOR YOU ON JEAN-LUC FILLON, check the links below:

http://www.imusic.dk/item/3760002136639/fillon-jean-luc-glenn-fe-2006-echoes-of-ellington-cd

http://www.musicianspage.com/musicians-list/instrumentalists/oboe/jazz.html

Beside this Jean-Luc Fillon can be found/heard with a trombone player called Glenn Ferris, link:

www.glennferris.com

I hope you succeed.

Best regards,
intet-at-tabe

Mat buddy, did you get some good music from the links I entered on oboe players in jazz?

Best regards,
intet-at-tabe

Mat

Sr. Regulator
Staff member
Sr. Regulator
Regulator
Hi Intet,

All your links and advices are very valuable for me. I didn't get any music form links you mentioned in your last post but but I'll try them out asap. However, thanks to you I know Paul McCandless and now I have three albums of his and more is yet to come. I also found some recordings of this sopranist - Steve Lacy. I think I'll have to leave my mp3 player turned on at night so I have the opportunity to listen all this jazz music...

Yours respectfully,
Mat

P.S I've sent you PM

intet_at_tabe

Hi Intet,

All your links and advices are very valuable for me. I didn't get any music form links you mentioned in your last post but but I'll try them out asap. However, thanks to you I know Paul McCandless and now I have three albums of his and more is yet to come. I also found some recordings of this sopranist - Steve Lacy. I think I'll have to leave my mp3 player turned on at night so I have the opportunity to listen all this jazz music...

Yours respectfully,
Mat

P.S I've sent you PM

Hi back at you Mat

I´ve sent you a PM too!.

Just make sure, that you´re always welcome. If I can help you with anything at all, just ask me.

Now for Steve Lacy, who goes in the same category as another soprano saxophonist like Dave Liebman, well known for his contribution to the evolvement of the soprano saxophone solos while with Miles Davis.

Steve Lacy originally born Steven Lackritz in the Big Apple - New York in 1934. Studied at the Schillinger School of Music in Boston 1953, then the Manhatten School of Music 1954 (the drummer Paul Motian also studied here). Played with mainstream jazz musicians until 1956-57, when he joined the Quartet of Dr. Cecil Taylor (pianist and teacher). Steve Lacy´s first album in his own name came in 1957 "Soprano Today", Prestige Records. From 1961-63 with Thelonius Monk, Gil Evans and Jimmy Giuffre and made a quartet in 1963 with trombone player Ruswell Rudd only playing the compositions by T. Monk on the album "School Days". Then with Don Cherry (picolo trumpet) and The Straight Horn of Steve Lacy band on albums like "Reflections" (New Jazz 1959) and "Evidence" (New Jazz 1961).

SL was the first american saxophone player, like Sidney Bechet before him, who chose only to play the soprano saxophone. In 1963 SL went to Europe, where he primarely had his adress, lived and worked until 1970, when he entered The Carla Bley Band and with the italian trumpet and flugelhorn player Enrico Rava in his band, both attached to the ECM records and it´s sister company Watt.

Since 1972, SL has remained living in Paris, France. SL´s trademark in jazz has always been the free improvised soprano solos.

From 1975 recorded in his own name in different bands "Stamps" (Hat Hut 1977), "Raps" (Adelphi 1977) and "Eronel" (Horo 1979).

Just thought, I should give you some back ground on Steve Lacy.

Best regards,
intet-at-tabe

Last edited:

Mat

Sr. Regulator
Staff member
Sr. Regulator
Regulator
Hello Intet my friend,

Thank you for posting all these informations about Steve. I see that we really are 'on the same shelf around jazz'. First Jobim, then Miles and finally Michael Camilo. Is this a coincidence or what?:)

Just make sure, that you´re always welcome. If I can help you with anything at all, just ask me.

Hey. I hope you know that you are also welcome to wirte me anytime.

Best regards,
Mat

intet_at_tabe

Hello Intet my friend,

Thank you for posting all these informations about Steve. I see that we really are 'on the same shelf around jazz'. First Jobim, then Miles and finally Michael Camilo. Is this a coincidence or what?:)

Hey. I hope you know that you are also welcome to wirte me anytime.

Best regards,
Mat

Hi Mat :);):grin::cool:

"Hey. I hope you know that you are also welcome to wirte me anytime."
Never doubt it for a minute Mat, we hit it from the beginning, like you stated.

I don´t believe in coincidenes in general, not that I can prove why. But then as a young danishman just survived and entered my second life time, post the 50´s (four years ago, Hmm...:cool:), growing to be like 9 when concerned computers. I have all the time in the world, being at home every day. As you know, I am at school unfortunately far back in the class, trying to win the confidence from my own PC. :confused:

I guess, I forgot to mention my first experience with Michel Camilo on the album (in vinyl) "Why Not". Never listened to anything like it before - AWESOME!!

"Kind of Blue", like Miles would have said, and another thing, great for dancing.

Best regards to you Mat, soon we´ll hit again in another way, working like Albert Einstein to get there.

Best regards,
intet-at-tabe

intet_at_tabe

Mat, sorry!

The Albert Einstein expression, with absolutely no comparison to the mathmetician or fysisist, the guy who invented the theory of Relativity.

But I guess you already knew.

intet-at-tabe

Mat

Sr. Regulator
Staff member
Sr. Regulator
Regulator
I have all the time in the world, being at home every day. As you know, I am at school unfortunately far back in the class, trying to win the confidence from my own PC. :confused:

Hey, to tell you the truth I am also quite new when it comes to computers and all that stuff. There's a Polish saying that I think would fit here: 'Nie taki diabeł straszny jak go malują' which translated to English sounds more or less like this: 'The devil's not so black as he is painted'. :)

I guess, I forgot to mention my first experience with Michel Camilo on the album (in vinyl) "Why Not". Never listened to anything like it before - AWESOME!!

"Kind of Blue", like Miles would have said, and another thing, great for dancing.

I totally agree - the album is simply fabulous:)

Take care,
Mat

intet_at_tabe

Mat,

You may call me Albert E. after all. Check your PM here.

Seems, I have been moved up to the second row in the class room.

Have a great sunny weekend Mat.

Best regards,
intet-at-tabe

matsoljare

His tone, and his expression is so amazing. He really makes the case for oboe as a instrument to be taken seriously in Jazz, all by himself!

Mat

Sr. Regulator
Staff member
Sr. Regulator
Regulator
Well, what can I say. It's sad thing but the oboe is underrated. Jazz can be played (with fine results as we can see) on it as on many other instruments. The only limits are a player's creativity and ingenuity.