Jazz Trio Album...

Corno Dolce

Admiral Honkenwheezenpooferspieler
I must make a pitch for Ron Carter's CD entitled *The Golden Striker*. It is a jazz trio with no drum set, just a Piano, Double Bass, and a mellow Gibson Stratocaster Guitar. Talk about *smoooooooooooooth* - every track is a gem to behold. It gets my vote for *Jazz Trio Album Of The Year*.

Muza

I dont know exactly what piece I listened to (just looked it up on YouTube), but it was really good. Is there a site where I could find a sample recording from that specific CD that you are talking about, "The Golden Striker" ?

If I like that, I will get the CD for my father - he is also a jazz player :)

Corno Dolce

Hi Elena,

Here's Ron Carter's site:

http://www.roncarterbass.com/

On the left hand side of the page you'll see the "music lounge" - you can pick which album you want to hear and also a specific track.

Cheers,

Corno Dolce

p.s. I notice that you include Michael Torkes comment about the B-Minor Mass - It is so totally true...

Last edited:

Muza

Thanks Carno Dolce (what does that mean?). What a great idea with a music lounge on the site - I am very much enjoying it right now.

As for the music, I agree - very smooth!

Corno Dolce

Hello Elena,

"Corno Dolce" means "Soft Horn" as in the sound of a horn remotely located - far off in the distance - sometimes like the alphorn calling the cows home :grin::grin::grin:

Seriously, I adopted the name from an organ I played - the one in St. Ouen in Rouen. It is a wide-scaled 16' flue stop with a definite horn formant and a subtle shade of string sound, and very smooth. Here are some pictures of the instrument and its environs taken from another website:

http://www.xs4all.nl/~twomusic/concerts/rouen/index.html

Cheers,

Corno Dolce

p.s. Another Jazz Double Bass artist I have recently discovered is Brian Bromberg. He has three magnificent CD's where the Bass and his supreme artistry and musicianship shine through like a supernova. They are as follows: WOOD II, WOOD, IT'S ABOUT TIME(the acoustic project). He plays a beautiful 300 year old Double Bass by Matteo Guersam - man, what a sound!!! Ron Carter and Brian Bromberg are my heroes of the Double Bass.

p.p.s. Here's my adopted name - third row of knobs counted from the bottom up and far right:

http://www.xs4all.nl/~twomusic/concerts/rouen/source/22st_ouen_cc.html

Last edited:

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
I dont know exactly what piece I listened to (just looked it up on YouTube), but it was really good. Is there a site where I could find a sample recording from that specific CD that you are talking about, "The Golden Striker" ? If I like that, I will get the CD for my father - he is also a jazz player :)

Hi Muza,

Seeing as how you are in the US, you can search for this and listen on Rhapsody. I'm listening to this very album at this moment ... it is indeed ssmooooth stuff as Corno Dolce has mentioned. Kinda nice without the percussion actually. ;)

Muza

Thanks Krummhorn,

I havent noticed about the percussion, but Im glad you have pointed it out - I will pay more attention next time I listen to those recordings. Overall though - very very smooth, just the kind of stuff that I like and that is so easy to listen to.

*Mental Note* - I cannot believe I have never heard of Ron Carter before now :cry:

Corno Dolce

A friend once told me that he had attended a lecture by Leonard Bernstein in which *Lenny* proclaimed: "I have two loves in my musical life and they are JSBach and Jazz".

Reflecting upon that, I thought: Man, the same is true for me too. Thank you, *Uncle Lenny* for your stunning revelation.

Muza

I see now what you meant about the percussion, Krummhorn, but I somewhat disagree. I think it gives the recording a sense of funk :guitar:

Corno Dolce

Hello Elena,

The Golden Striker recording has only Piano, Double Bass, and Guitar. I didn't quite understand what you said about percussion instruments in the recording.

Cheers,

Corno Dolce

Muza

haha, i think i listened to a track from a different cd :p, lol - there was this one really funky track that i just cant forget. but the whole thing was a misunderstanding, and I can now see how funny it is :grin:.

I read Krummhorns message as "the cd would sound nicer without percussion," so I started listening to recordings to find percussion there and I guess the music lounge switched the cd on me :banana: haha, its really quite funny now that im thinking of it :banana:

So, anything stupid and embarrasing that you have done lately???

Corno Dolce

Hello Ms. Elena,

At least once a week I do something stupid annd embarrasing - this week I have been subbing for a colleague and I had to play a wedding. The groom wanted the overture to Bach's Christmas Oratorio for the Recessional.

I must have been daydreaming since I all of a sudden launched into the Sinfonia to Cantata 29 "Wir Danken Dir Gott, Wir Danken Dir". Afterwards, the groom was unhappy but the bride gave me a big hug and a kiss and a very sizeable check. The officiating pastor gave me a stare that would melt icebergs but at the reception he apologised for giving me *stink-eye*.

So you see, I'm far from perfect - I have only just graduated from the first grade in the *School Of Hard Knocks*.

Cheers,

Corno Dolce