Do you have trouble with holidays?

methodistgirl

Do you have trouble with the holidays?

I get lonely when Thanksgiving and Christmas comes around. What
about you?
judy tooley

Last edited by a moderator:

Violinschlüssel

I don't celebrate Thanksgiving, since I live in Italy, but my latest Xmases haven't been very cheerful; I remember that, when I was a kid, I had wonderful Xmases: I didn't have to go to school for at least two weeks, I had my family with me, I was able to really feel the true spirit of this holy Feast. Now, some very close relatives of mine have passed away, life has sort of bitterned me and I look at Xmas holidays as something to pass as fast as possible. :cry:

Corno Dolce

Admiral Honkenwheezenpooferspieler
Hi Violinschlüssel,

Since both my parents are gone and I have no siblings, I can relate to the sadness you feel. However, I will let the Christmas Season be a celebration like none other since I have no reason to just sit around and be glum. I will give rather than receive.

Cheers,

Corno Dolce

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Well, being a church organist, I have little time to be bored with the holidays. Christmas eve has, in the past, been a rigorous 5 service evening, not getting home until 2:00am :crazy: !!

Parents are long deceased, son in another state attending university, sister is 1,300 miles to the north, an aunt and 2 cousins in Michigan, and the rest of the relatives are in Copenhagen. Now I know how my folks felt after I moved away from home ... part of the cycle of life. I can never get away for any holiday times - the church won't allow me to do so, and I can see why - the holiday services are always chock full of special music - besides I absolutely love playing on Christmas Eve ... and yes, I have been known to throw in a few secular pieces (Frosty the Snowman, etc) as part of my prelude on that night. Somehow I always escape being excommunicated from the church for that terrible sin ... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: !!

Corno Dolce

Hi Krummhorn,

Yeah, I'll be doing alot of subbing this Christmas.

Cheers,

Corno Dolce

methodistgirl

During the holidays I sit alone at my bed and knit or something and play
something on the computer. Other than that it's pretty boring. Last
Christmas was a nice day for ducks. I cried for much of that day but on
new years I at least was able to take a walk and look around. Thanks
giving was also a bore. It is like as if my town is dead as a door nail for
one day. I also think the holidays are commercialized too much. I love
what Christmas represents which is the birth of Jesus Christ. Otherwise
on the pagan side goes a little overboard with Santa Clause, Rudalph,and,
Frosty the snowman. You wind up going to so many holiday parties that
when Christmas gets here I feel like pullling my hair out! There is no
telling what this Methodist church will have this Christmas. I'm new there.
But on that day the idea that my husband is no longer with me makes
me more blue.
judy tooley:cry:

Corno Dolce

Hello Judy,

I can't even imagine the pain of separation that you're going through. Just a friendly suggestion: If you're new to that Church, why don't you involve yourself with some of the groups who help those who've lost loved ones, singles, divorcees, and the like? It should surely beat sitting home alone and looking at the four walls and becoming even more glum and depressed.

Cheers,

Corno Dolce

methodistgirl

Thanks Corno Dolce! My church does have something like that called
Good Greef. It goes along with the Hospice program at the hospital.
So far I've done pretty good without it. Now I have my music. My new
guitar is my new companion. Thanks again! I can hear you now with
the Austrailian accent. I wonder if you are from the land down under?
judy tooley

Corno Dolce

Hi Judy,

I'm sorry to say that I'm not from Australia - I'm just a *Yanqui* with roots in Northern Teutonic lands. Glad to hear that you involve yourself with music but if I were you, I would also try to have a confidant - some trustworthy friend(not someone who has a crush on you), who can listen and offer a hug when everything is blue. Females are better communicators than guys - Talk-out the pain you feel with another gal instead of penting it all up inside and becoming physically ill because of it.

Cheers,

Corno Dolce

methodistgirl

Thanks Corno. Usually around the holidays like even last labour day
everybody is either gone to be with their families or on vacation.
The only one I can talk to is the one I do talk to when I'm praying.
I let myself get involved with him most when I get blue. I still play
computer games until I'm blue in the face or watch television.
So thanks. I wished you were here in the USA where I live. I think
I have all ready found a friend only through this forum.
judy tooley:)

Corno Dolce

Hi Judy,

I know, it's tough to find a friend who doesn't have an ulterior motive, especially after the loss of a spouse. Do think outside of the box - do be proactive in starting a group, however small, that can meet and spend quality time together. Don't enforce self-privation i.e. keeping yourself away from human contact. It's not worth it.

Cheers,

Corno Dolce

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Thanks Corno Dolce! My church does have something like that called
Good Greef. It goes along with the Hospice program at the hospital.
So far I've done pretty good without it. Now I have my music. My new
guitar is my new companion. Thanks again! I can hear you now with
the Austrailian accent. I wonder if you are from the land down under?
judy tooley

Judy,

You know, another area church might have a singles group that you could participate in ... as Corno Dolce suggests, think outside the box ... It's perfectly normal and quite acceptable for Methodists to mingle with other Christian church groups - nobody in your present church will think you are betraying them in any way.

Most communities also have singles groups - It is often uncomfortable for singles to dine out alone - having someone else along that is in the same predicament helps both people. It doesn't have to turn into a date or any short/long term relationship, it is rather just companionship amongst new friends.

You are amongst friends here, too :grin:

Corno Dolce

Hi Janny108,

Right on - WooHoo - I respect that kind of spirit!!! It is such an inspiration and it's so heartwarming with people who show their kind and gentle demeanor through such random acts of love.

Blessings unto you and yours,

Corno Dolce

methodistgirl

That was a good deed Janny. I love to help people myself. Too bad
no place in my town is open so that I could on the holidays. That would
be a big help on my part and make me feel better.
judy tooley

janny108

I''m glad I helped people feel better here.:D Hey we all can fellowship here, I dont' get the chance to come here as often as I was(I'm in school) but I do enjoy hearing about everything. BTW I enjoyed serving at the VFW; that was almost the best part of my day!
Jan

janny108

Yes do not rule out singles groups or other fellowship opportunities at church.
Do you know Jesus as Lord and Savior? He can fill us up like no other, of course it does not negate the need to commune with others.
I'm glad the groups aspect was brought up.
jan