What instrument you don't play, but you'd like to?

Rachmaninoff

What instrument you don't play (either because you don't have it, or because you don't have time to learn, etc.), but you would like to learn to play?

I'd like to learn piano... hope I can play one before I die.

Corno Dolce

Admiral Honkenwheezenpooferspieler
Hi Rachmaninoff,

An excellent question you pose. I would like to learn how to play the Harp and the Baryton.

The Baryton I'm suggesting is not the same as the Baritone which is found in Brass Bands. Rather, it is a stringed instrument roughly about the size of a Cello. Click on the link below:

http://www.violworks.com/grafiken/instrumente/baryton34.jpg

Cheers,

Corno Dolce

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Great idea for a new thread, Rachmaninoff ...

I would like to learn how to play the Recorder ... like the alto or tenor voice. My 2nd desire is to learn alto sax.

The Baryton is a stringed instrument roughly about the size of a Cello

Interesting instrument Corno Dolce. I only see 7 strings - what are the other 10 pegs used for?

Corno Dolce

Hello Krummhorn,

Glad that you asked. The Baryton has a special feature and they are strings on the backside which you can pluck with your thumb whilst playing. Click on the link below for a demonstration:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZApJANZjl0

Cheers,

Corno Dolce

p.s. This instrument has the sweetest sound I've ever heard from an instrument.

marval

Instrument to play

I used to have piano lessons many years ago, would love to take it up again, also have always wanted to play the trumpet, but expect I don't have the blow for it

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Hi Corno Dolce,

Thanks for sharing about the Baryton ... In that demo it sounded like the plucked strings were tuned in key of D. I assume that the tunings can be altered on those to accommodate a wider range of pieces.

Corno Dolce

Hi Krummhorn,

Josef Haydn wrote a goodly number of works for the instrument. According to <www.classicalarchives.com> Haydn wrote 126 Baryton trios. The Esterhazy family must have been very particularly enamoured of this instrument since the Prince himself also played it but alas, not very well.
I would also guesstimate that one could tune the *plucked* strings of the Baryton to other keys than D.

Cheers,

Corno Dolce

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Hi pnoom,

I googled 'Gruyerphone' and came up empty handed. Can you give us some more info on this instrument?

pnoom

Pascal Vandenbulcke was the flautist for avant-garde jazz-rock band Dun, who released one amazing album, Eros (which is now sadly OOP).

Anyway, in the liner notes it says that at live shows he would play the gruyerophone.

Here's a description from said liner notes:

On stage, Pascal played a totally new and original instrument, the gruyèrophone, also known as swisscheesophone, which he used to describe to the audience as "a wind instrument belonging to the hunting horn family, with a tuba mouthpiece and a square-shaped bell into which small bits of swiss cheese are introduced. The technique is not unlike that of the bagpipe. When the player is tired of blowing the instrument, the small holes in the swiss cheese then burst, taking over from the performer and allowing him to catch his breath".

Corno Dolce

Oh good grief, pnoom. Trying your hand at some *cheesy humor* :rolleyes:

Tell ya what - Don't quit your day job :grin::grin::grin:

Cheers,

Corno Dolce

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
:nut: Well, Pnoom, I fell for that one - hook, line and sinker :nut:
Of course ... now it make sense :banghead: Gruyer cheese ... Duh-me :crazy:

Corno Dolce

Hi pnoom,

I read the prog-archives article with the "swisscheseophone" and must conclude that it remains in someone's imagination. Now, there is an instrument which looks like a terribly malformed hunk of swiss cheese - its called an Ocarina. Click the link below:

http://saria.coolfreepage.com/games/oot/ocarina2.gif

Honestly and respectfully, pnoom - you tried to gin up interest - I bit, but found no substance in the bait, insofar as the gruyerophone is concerned.

I'll give you an A+ for creative thinking though.

Cheers,

Corno Dolce

methodistgirl

Hello Krummhorn,

Glad that you asked. The Baryton has a special feature and they are strings on the backside which you can pluck with your thumb whilst playing. Click on the link below for a demonstration:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZApJANZjl0

Cheers,

Corno Dolce

p.s. This instrument has the sweetest sound I've ever heard from an instrument.

This instrument is so unusual and has a mystorious sound to it like a
horror movie or something. I can play the violin. I believe I could
play that one too and try it out.
judy tooley