PDA

View Full Version : What instrument you don't play, but you'd like to?

Pages : [1] 2

Rachmaninoff
Nov-07-2007, 01:49
What instrument you don't play (either because you don't have it, or because you don't have time to learn, etc.), but you would like to learn to play?

I'd like to learn piano... hope I can play one before I die.

Corno Dolce
Nov-07-2007, 07:02
Hi Rachmaninoff,

An excellent question you pose. I would like to learn how to play the Harp and the Baryton.

The Baryton I'm suggesting is not the same as the Baritone which is found in Brass Bands. Rather, it is a stringed instrument roughly about the size of a Cello. Click on the link below:

http://www.violworks.com/grafiken/instrumente/baryton34.jpg

Cheers,

Corno Dolce

Krummhorn
Nov-07-2007, 08:31
Great idea for a new thread, Rachmaninoff ...

I would like to learn how to play the Recorder ... like the alto or tenor voice. My 2nd desire is to learn alto sax.

The Baryton is a stringed instrument roughly about the size of a Cello

Interesting instrument Corno Dolce. I only see 7 strings - what are the other 10 pegs used for?

Corno Dolce
Nov-07-2007, 09:43
Hello Krummhorn,

Glad that you asked. The Baryton has a special feature and they are strings on the backside which you can pluck with your thumb whilst playing. Click on the link below for a demonstration:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZApJANZjl0

Cheers,

Corno Dolce

p.s. This instrument has the sweetest sound I've ever heard from an instrument.

marval
Nov-07-2007, 14:58
I used to have piano lessons many years ago, would love to take it up again, also have always wanted to play the trumpet, but expect I don't have the blow for it

Krummhorn
Nov-07-2007, 17:02
Hi Corno Dolce,

Thanks for sharing about the Baryton ... In that demo it sounded like the plucked strings were tuned in key of D. I assume that the tunings can be altered on those to accommodate a wider range of pieces.

pnoom
Nov-07-2007, 17:54
Violin, will probably pick it up next year.

Corno Dolce
Nov-07-2007, 18:41
Hi Krummhorn,

Josef Haydn wrote a goodly number of works for the instrument. According to <www.classicalarchives.com> Haydn wrote 126 Baryton trios. The Esterhazy family must have been very particularly enamoured of this instrument since the Prince himself also played it but alas, not very well.
I would also guesstimate that one could tune the *plucked* strings of the Baryton to other keys than D.

Cheers,

Corno Dolce

Pacific 231
Nov-07-2007, 21:20
I have 3 instruments what I would have so much like to play :
- 1st Oboe
- 2nd Timpani
- 3rd Organ.

Corno Dolce
Nov-07-2007, 21:41
I must include one other instrument: The Heckelphone.

methodistgirl
Nov-07-2007, 23:42
since I play the piano, I'm like Corno Dolce. I would like to play the
harp someday or double bass.
judy tooley

pnoom
Nov-07-2007, 23:44
Gruyerphone (sp). Officially the coolest instrument ever.

Krummhorn
Nov-08-2007, 00:34
Hi pnoom,

I googled 'Gruyerphone' and came up empty handed. Can you give us some more info on this instrument?

pnoom
Nov-08-2007, 00:53
Pascal Vandenbulcke was the flautist for avant-garde jazz-rock band Dun, who released one amazing album, Eros (which is now sadly OOP).

Anyway, in the liner notes it says that at live shows he would play the gruyerophone.

Here's a description from said liner notes:

On stage, Pascal played a totally new and original instrument, the gruyèrophone, also known as swisscheesophone, which he used to describe to the audience as "a wind instrument belonging to the hunting horn family, with a tuba mouthpiece and a square-shaped bell into which small bits of swiss cheese are introduced. The technique is not unlike that of the bagpipe. When the player is tired of blowing the instrument, the small holes in the swiss cheese then burst, taking over from the performer and allowing him to catch his breath".

Corno Dolce
Nov-08-2007, 08:17
Oh good grief, pnoom. Trying your hand at some *cheesy humor* :rolleyes:

Tell ya what - Don't quit your day job :grin::grin::grin:

Cheers,

Corno Dolce

Krummhorn
Nov-08-2007, 09:44
:nut: Well, Pnoom, I fell for that one - hook, line and sinker :nut:
Of course ... now it make sense :banghead: Gruyer cheese ... Duh-me :crazy:

pnoom
Nov-08-2007, 16:02
That... wasn't a joke. It's a real instrument. And I'd really like to learn it.

Corno Dolce
Nov-08-2007, 17:35
Hi pnoom,

I read the prog-archives article with the "swisscheseophone" and must conclude that it remains in someone's imagination. Now, there is an instrument which looks like a terribly malformed hunk of swiss cheese - its called an Ocarina. Click the link below:

http://saria.coolfreepage.com/games/oot/ocarina2.gif

Honestly and respectfully, pnoom - you tried to gin up interest - I bit, but found no substance in the bait, insofar as the gruyerophone is concerned.

I'll give you an A+ for creative thinking though.

Cheers,

Corno Dolce

Pacific 231
Nov-08-2007, 23:03
...Click the link below:

...When I open this link, it says me: "You do not have access to this document" I dont know why...

methodistgirl
Nov-08-2007, 23:28
Hello Krummhorn,

Glad that you asked. The Baryton has a special feature and they are strings on the backside which you can pluck with your thumb whilst playing. Click on the link below for a demonstration:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZApJANZjl0

Cheers,

Corno Dolce

p.s. This instrument has the sweetest sound I've ever heard from an instrument.

This instrument is so unusual and has a mystorious sound to it like a
horror movie or something. I can play the violin. I believe I could
play that one too and try it out.
judy tooley

methodistgirl
Nov-09-2007, 00:48
For someone's namesake, I would like to try a Krommhorn! I heard some
guys play one and couldn't stop laughing!:grin:
judy tooley

Mat
Nov-10-2007, 21:46
There are two instruments I would really love to play to

1) Hammond organ
2) Soprano saxophone

Maybe I'll play saxophone someday but Hammond.... That would be a miracle.

Krummhorn
Nov-11-2007, 02:36
For someone's namesake, I would like to try a Krommhorn! I heard some
guys play one and couldn't stop laughing!:grin:
judy tooley

Hi Judy,

The Krummhorn (Fr. Cromorne) is a different sound for sure ... almost nasal in sound with an absolute attack and release when played on the organ. This became my most favorite solo organ stop ever since I first heard one 40 or so years ago. I'll admit, it is a strange sound to get used to ... and won't be pleasing to every listener ... and can be an amusing sound, too. :cool:

pnoom
Nov-12-2007, 20:12
Hi pnoom,

I read the prog-archives article with the "swisscheseophone" and must conclude that it remains in someone's imagination. Now, there is an instrument which looks like a terribly malformed hunk of swiss cheese - its called an Ocarina. Click the link below:

Honestly and respectfully, pnoom - you tried to gin up interest - I bit, but found no substance in the bait, insofar as the gruyerophone is concerned.

I'll give you an A+ for creative thinking though.

Cheers,

Corno Dolce

I'll scan the photo from the liner notes if you want to see a picture of it.

Corno Dolce
Nov-13-2007, 02:33
Hi pnoom,

I've been playing the contrabass trombone for 22 years and even toot the tuba sometimes. Many quarts of air are needed for playing the contrabass trombone and the tuba properly. No cheese, not even fermenting cheese can give off the quantity of pressurised wind necessary to power a solo wind instrument, even if its an oboe. Hey, try using a tuba mouthpiece on a piece of garden hose - it works!!! Listen to some recordings of PDQ Bach if you want to hear something really funky.

Yes, do send that scanned picture as a private message to me

Cheers,

Corno Dolce

Krummhorn
Nov-13-2007, 05:46
That... wasn't a joke. It's a real instrument. And I'd really like to learn it.

Have you a picture of this instrument? I think the community here is intrigued by the existence of such an instrument.

There have been some fairly bizarre creations used for special musical effects - like those used in PDQ Bach, etc.

pnoom
Nov-13-2007, 15:44
I haven't scanned it yet. I will try and remember to do so tonight.

pnoom
Nov-16-2007, 15:53
As promised, here is the picture of Pascal Vandenbulcke playing the gruyerophone. And if you question its authenticity, you can see (if you look closely) the text from the next page of the booklet on the back, as the scanner captured it as well.

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o110/aplagueoffolly/gruyerophone.jpg

Corno Dolce
Nov-16-2007, 18:19
Hi pnoom,

Hahahahahaha - a fancy form of a kazoo :grin::grin::grin:

I still won't classify it as a musical instrument, rather, a noise-maker. I would also love to see the Physics about the bits of cheese providing quantity and pressure of wind plus the vibration propagation through the instrument. When you buzz into a brass instrument mouthpiece, the instrument will amplify those vibrations. The air column being blown into the instrument serves as a "projecting medium". The exponential end of the horn, ergo, where the bell flares, gives the instrument its specific sound character. The player, of course, modulates the dynamics, imparts rhythm, can also give color to the sound.

Inputting bits of cheese into the bell of the gruyerophone can, maybe, if they all of a sudden are, by human intervention, inhaled/ingested, provide sustenance and an energy kick to the poor, beleaguered player of said instrument, thereby providing an air column, by human intervention, to make a noise. Otherwise, the cheese bits are incapable of providing the mouthpiece buzz necessary in order to make the instrument perform its intended function.

Cheers,

Corno Dolce

pnoom
Nov-17-2007, 04:58
Next time I see Pascal Vandenbulcke, I'll ask him.

Sybarite
Nov-27-2007, 16:32
Tenor sax – gorgeous.

I'd also like to have the chance to have a real go on a big drum kit.

methodistgirl
Nov-27-2007, 19:02
Tenor sax – gorgeous.

I'd also like to have the chance to have a real go on a big drum kit.

I have tried to play a saxaphone and couldn't do it. I didn't have the wind
for the instrument. A clarinet is very easy and is made somewhat like the
tenor sax.
judy tooley

Krummhorn
Nov-27-2007, 22:32
Sybarite ...

Tenor sax ... luscious indeed ... A favorite ensemble to hear is a sax quartet or quintet. When I worked at Disneyland (US) years and years ago, there was an all sax quintet called the Keystone Kops that would play in one of the plazas. It was absolutely thrilling to hear.

musicalis
Nov-27-2007, 23:09
I would like to know and play trumpet, but I'll never buy such an instrument as I am sure, if I do it, I loose my wife and perhaps I'll be killed by my neighbours.
J-Paul

Corno Dolce
Nov-28-2007, 00:07
Hello Jean-Paul,

Yamaha produces a system called *Silent Brass* - Click on the link below:

http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/CDA/ContentDetail/ModelSeriesDetail/0%2C%2CCNTID%2525253D30739%2C00.html

This way you can practice up a storm and still maintain domestic peace with your wife and your neighbors.

Cheers,

Corno Dolce

methodistgirl
Nov-28-2007, 23:08
I would like to try out a nyckelharpa. It is a violin like instrument from
finland. I just saw one and heard it. It was a real interesting instrument
to hear. Here in Kentucky you have instruments that are simular for
blue grass music up in the mountainous regon of the state. This strange
instrument looks like a cross from a violin or in our terms a fiddle and an
autoharp. It looks like some of our bluegrass instruments. Now you only
get to hear the guitar, fiddle, and banjo in blue grass music.
judy tooley

Corno Dolce
Nov-29-2007, 10:15
Hi Judy,

The nyckelharpa is a folk instrument from Sweden - click the link below to see and read some info:

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://nyckelharpansforum.net/inbild/tjarnhrp.jpg&imgrefurl=http://nyckelharpansforum.net/global/types.htm&h=356&w=400&sz=19&hl=en&start=26&sig2=-QzjszI2ZGxILyJ_-ZgF2Q&tbnid=QF5NN48o47pg-M:&tbnh=110&tbnw=124t3ROR-TZBYWMgAOG-tG0BQ&prev=

Cheers,

Corno Dolce

Contratrombone64
Nov-29-2007, 23:12
I'd rather fancy having a go on the bassoon but as they're WAY too expensive to purchase, even a cheap student model, I guess it'll be a pipe dream (no pun intended).

methodistgirl
Nov-30-2007, 00:07
Hi Judy,

The nyckelharpa is a folk instrument from Sweden - click the link below to see and read some info:

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://nyckelharpansforum.net/inbild/tjarnhrp.jpg&imgrefurl=http://nyckelharpansforum.net/global/types.htm&h=356&w=400&sz=19&hl=en&start=26&sig2=-QzjszI2ZGxILyJ_-ZgF2Q&tbnid=QF5NN48o47pg-M:&tbnh=110&tbnw=124t3ROR-TZBYWMgAOG-tG0BQ&prev=

Cheers,

Corno Dolce
I know I messed up on the orgin of the instrument. I still find this
instrument to be very interesting. I never saw one in person. The
closest to it is an autoharp and a violin together with both musicians.
judy tooley

Corno Dolce
Nov-30-2007, 01:10
Hi Judy,

Yes, it is a very fascinating musical instrument. It is rich in overtones when played, which give it a very sweet and syrupy sound.

Cheers,

Corno Dolce

Corno Dolce
Nov-30-2007, 01:13
Here are some sound files for a Nyckelharpa:

http://www.nyckelharpa.org/resources/sound_clips.html

Cheers,

Corno Dolce

Krummhorn
Nov-30-2007, 07:13
Holy Cow ... does someone play this instrument or do we take it out to dinner? :nut:
My goodness, what a machine ... here's a video from youtube ... at the bottom, after this splendid Bach tune completes are more videos of this unique instrument. Fascinating to watch and hear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zs3aUCM8BX8

Corno Dolce
Nov-30-2007, 07:26
Even the Good Man Bach makes the Nyckelharpa sound better.

Rachmaninoff
Nov-30-2007, 13:45
This nyckelharpa is really impressive!

methodistgirl
Nov-30-2007, 23:31
Holy Cow ... does someone play this instrument or do we take it out to dinner? :nut:
My goodness, what a machine ... here's a video from youtube ... at the bottom, after this splendid Bach tune completes are more videos of this unique instrument. Fascinating to watch and hear.

You should see some of the instruments played in our Kentucky blue
grass and folk music. Ever heard of a Hardanger fiddle. I hope I said
that right. I got to see one at opryland a few years ago before they
turned it into a shopping mall. I miss that theme park because of
the music.

This reminds me of the folk music played in kentucky on some unusual
music instruments beside the guitar and fiddle used in blue grass.
There is a pipe organ type instrument that was used as well that was
as portable as a synthesiser.
judy tooley

Corno Dolce
Dec-01-2007, 12:36
Hi Judy,

The Hardanger Fiddle is another folk instrument, only this one is from Norway. It can have nine strings - five of which are *sympathetic* - excited by the vibrations from the strings being played, thusly you get a series of overtones which help to *sweeten* the sound.

For those who have never seen one, click on the link below:

http://www.metmuseum.org/toah/images/hb/hb_46.34.7a.jpg

Cheers,

Corno Dolce

Serassi1836
Jan-30-2008, 16:44
I like very much the sound of the bassoon...

methodistgirl
Jan-30-2008, 23:50
I would love to get back on the pipe organ at church. I see it that way
though because two young girls were playing on the organ, it's time for
some of us ole folks to step aside and let some of these young people
have a chance at a possible future carieer someday. That includes pipe
organ playing. You won't have any more Virgil Foxes or Diane Bishes if
we don't introduce these young people from 5 years and up. I know when
I'm washed up. What do you think?
judy tooley

Corno Dolce
Jan-30-2008, 23:58
Dear Ms. Judy,

Please don't languish with a defeatist view about yourself and your talents. Have you pursued the idea of taking organ lessons with a local Church organist? Or is that not feasible for you at this time? If you have the personal drive and will to learn to play an instrument, you can always learn. Don't limit your options unnecessarily by saying that you're "washed up".

Cheers,

CD :):):)

methodistgirl
Jan-31-2008, 00:23
I'm 47years old going on 48 and there are two girls who are within the ages
of 10 and 12 who are interested in the organ. This is the first time I ever
saw that happen here in madisonville especially at my church. Look at the
age difference. When a child shows interest in such an instrument that
child should have the right to learn it or get used to an organ that big.
Ours is not really that big, but it's a start and just the right size to learn
the pipe organ. I'm interested in my guitar right now and enjoy playing
my harmonica at my new appartment. I'm okay with that!
judy tooley

Krummhorn
Jan-31-2008, 00:52
Hi Judy
Welcome home - it's great to see you here again.

I think it's great that young people are coming forth in your church with an interest in the organ. I also think it's equally as great that you also keep your interest going in the organ ... it shouldn't matter what age we organists get to, as long as we can keep hitting all the right (and wrong) notes, we can share this responsibility with our younger counterparts.

I would like to think that with all the time you have invested in practicing that you would not just put it aside just because a couple younger kids have shown an interest. They still have a little ways to proceed, experience wise, before they could be considered "ready" to take over at your level.

Never say die, Judy ... I'm 12 years older than you and I'm not about to throw in the towel ... being an organist is in my heart and soul ... I just can't give that up and keep my sanity - You shouldn't give up either ... the way you have talked about Bach and the pieces that you've played from memory - that's a gift Judy ... a gift you have and should keep cultivating.

These young kids need guidance from the experienced ones ... The experience that I've learned over the past 48 years as an organist can not be learned from any textbook. It has to be learned while playing and working at a position - I am still learning and trying new things especially in modulation and improvisation and still have fun with it.

NEB
Jan-31-2008, 00:53
Well said Krummhorn - I'm right with you on that.

methodistgirl
Jan-31-2008, 00:57
Thanks Krummhorn! I'm still asking about the organ and still praying
over it. Maybe someday there will be an answer and I will get to
play with the heart of my church building with my fingers on the organ.
judy tooley

C5Says
Jan-31-2008, 16:21
Krummhorn is right, Judy. Actually you can synergistically work together. You and the girls. Passing on the baton has nothing to do whether you continue or stop.

NEB
Jan-31-2008, 17:32
Now, I've always had a hankering for Bagpipes. Early morning with the mist in the Glen.

FredeJyllMusic
Mar-21-2008, 15:25
Classic:
I would love to try out the violin, because you can make some nice stuff with it..

Jazz:
The clarinet.. Once I was in a jazzfestival and my ears loved the clarinet..

Rock:
The rockguitar

All of the instruments are amazing..

intet_at_tabe
Mar-21-2008, 18:00
Jazz, blues and rock drums - period!! :cool:

methodistgirl
Mar-21-2008, 20:36
I wished I had the nack for drums. I never could play a set of drums
like some people. I guess I don't have it in me to keep up once I
started up.
judy tooley

Udyret
Mar-21-2008, 22:47
I have to say a wind instrument, since I play the piano and organ. In jazz etc. i'd say the saxophone, but my weak spot besides the piano and organ has always been the flute.

methodistgirl
Mar-22-2008, 01:42
A flute would be a lot easier than a saxaphone.
judy tooley

Deeru Piotr
Mar-22-2008, 02:47
I wish I could play trumpet, and do it like Art Farmer

methodistgirl
Mar-22-2008, 11:39
I used to play a trumpet in highschool. I miss that sucker. Maybe that's
why my teeth are in such a bad shape. I wore braces and played a
trumpet in school. What a tough situation for my mouth! Oh well!
Now the only horn I can play now is the harmonica.
judy tooley

intet_at_tabe
Mar-23-2008, 18:42
Now, I've always had a hankering for Bagpipes. Early morning with the mist in the Glen.

NEB

Are you talking Free Jazz or BeBop influenced Bagpipes? :D

methodistgirl
Mar-25-2008, 21:59
I wished I could use the computer keyboard and it would play music like
a piano or organ.
judy tooley:cool:

Contratrombone64
Mar-26-2008, 00:51
Contrabassoon has appeal

C5Says
Mar-26-2008, 01:30
I wished I could use the computer keyboard and it would play music like
a piano or organ.
judy tooley:cool:

Judy, I found a virtual keyboard. It can play piano, sax, organ, flute, pan pipes, strings, guitar, steel drums and double bass. It also has 6 drum beats. I think it's cool especially for me whose keyboard is something with the Enter key! :D I actually use it to tune the banduria and guitar. :)

You can find it at http://heavygames.com (of all places!) and do a search (ctrl-F) for the 'virtual keyboard'. :)

Andrew Roussak
Mar-26-2008, 23:07
I think about learning to play Uillean Pipes. I guess it must be a bit similar to organ, as they both have pipes, and the organ is almost the same as piano, as much as I know. So I guess I will not have much significant problems on this way. And I have already found the Uillean Pipes in Ebay!!! http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_19_4.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZS)

Contratrombone64
Mar-27-2008, 00:06
The organ and the piano have one thing only in common: they are played using a keyboard ... that's where the similarity ends. Their respective techniques are poles apart. But that's only my humble opinion, I could be wrong.

Andrew Roussak
Mar-28-2008, 00:40
The organ and the piano have one thing only in common: they are played using a keyboard ... that's where the similarity ends. Their respective techniques are poles apart. But that's only my humble opinion, I could be wrong.

Mmmmm.....Looks like I have to leave my idea concerning Uillean Pipes then...
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_1_37.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZS)
They are even less similar with piano - no keys ( or I could not see them on the photo )...

Muza
Mar-28-2008, 10:34
the grand piano ;)

methodistgirl
Apr-01-2008, 20:00
I think a cello would be kinda neat to play. A violin that is a little
beefed up than the actual size of a guitar.
judy tooley

Green_Ambit
Apr-17-2008, 01:28
I would love to play bagpipes.

methodistgirl
Apr-20-2008, 05:02
I wished I had a guitar to play like I have in the art gallery. This thing
is beautiful.
judy tooley

robmcw
Apr-20-2008, 22:59
Ohh the guitar. I do play other stringed instruments but the guitar is not one of them. I made some effort to it but something was not 'happening'.
btw Green_Ambit, I do play the bagpipes. It does take some effort but its well worth it. Give it a go!

methodistgirl
Apr-21-2008, 00:28
I wished I had a guitar to play like I have in the art gallery. This thing
is beautiful.
judy tooley

Check out this new guitar I have in the art gallery. I just put this one in
the art gallery.
judy tooley