• Welcome to the Pipe Organ Forum! This is a part of the open community Magle International Music Forums focused on pipe organs (also known as "church organs"), organists, organ music and related topics.

This forum is intended to be a friendly place where technically advanced organists and beginners (or even non-organists) can feel comfortable having discussions and asking questions. We learn by reading and asking questions, and it is hoped that the beginners (or non-organists) will feel free to ask even the simplest questions, and that the more advanced organists will patiently answer these questions. On the other hand, we encourage complex, technical discussions of technique, music, organ-building, etc. The opinions and observations of a diverse group of people from around the world should prove to be interesting and stimulating to all of us.

As pipe organ discussions can sometimes become lively, it should be pointed out that this is an open forum. Statements made here are the opinion of the poster, and not necessarily that of the forum itself, its administrator, or its moderators.

In order to post a new topic - or reply to existing ones - you may join and become a member by clicking on Register New User. It's completely free and only requires a working email address (in order to confirm your registration - it will never be given away!). We strive to make this a friendly and informative forum for anyone interested in pipe organs and organ music.

(Note: If you wish to link to and promote your own website please read this thread first.)

Many kind regards
    smile.gif

Frederik Magle
    Administrator

Krummhorn
    Co-Administrator

The Organ Symphony Thread

giwro

I don't think that I've mentioned it here, but I'm in the process of writing a book on the Organ Symphonie. I've been doing research for over 5 years now, and have found a staggering number of works in the genre. I now have enough material to release the first edition of the book, and so am trying to get it all together in a format that can be published.

As part of the research I've been making private recordings of the long-neglected (and probably never-recorded) scores I have found. Some of these works are in the Public Domain, and I'd love to share the recordings here. I'll start with Lazare-Auguste Maquaire, a student of and assistant to Charles-Marie Widor. AFAIK he published only this one work before dying at a young age, his Organ Symphonie.

1- Allegro
2 - Andante
3 - Scherzo
4 - Final

This is a wonderful piece, and I'm sad it's all we have from him, since it's obvious he was well on his way to writing some WONDERFUL music.

Enjoy,

-G

Last edited:

Corno Dolce

Admiral Honkenwheezenpooferspieler
Hi Giwro,

Right on dear sir - the Maquaire is a real treat! Mmmm - mmmm, fingerlickin good. Such a pity he was *cut down* in the springtime of his life :cry: But, thankfully we have that Symphonie. Thanx for sharing.

Cheers,

Corno Dolce

Btw - I'd love to purchase a copy of your forthcoming book. Do you have a publisher lined up for the job in question? Just curious...

Last edited:

giwro

Hi Giwro,

Right on dear sir - the Maquaire is a real treat! Mmmm - mmmm, fingerlickin good. Such a pity he was *cut down* in the springtime of his life :cry: But, thankfully we have that Symphonie. Thanx for sharing.

Cheers,

Corno Dolce

Btw - I'd love to purchase a copy of your forthcoming book. Do you have a publisher lined up for the job in question? Just curious...

Glad you enjoyed the Maquaire - it is a treat!

I do have things lined up for the book to be published, so that is good. All I need is to finish the MS and have it proofed.... it is a monumental task, considering that there are over 200 examples of the Organ Symphonie extant.

Cheers,

- G

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Hi Giwro,

What a 'delicious' piece of music. Splendid recording too ... where was this done?

And yes, please do advise us when your book is published ... I'll be right behind Corno Dolce wanting to purchase this, too.

Corno Dolce

Hello Giwro,

Did you say over 200 examples of Organ Symphonie??????? Holy Moly!!!!!!! That could take a very long time to get all that under the belt - YIKES!!!!!!!
Yes, now I understand that you have a monumental task ahead of you. God Bless you dear sir and may He bless your labor of love.

Cheers,

Corno Dolce

giwro

Hi Giwro,

What a 'delicious' piece of music. Splendid recording too ... where was this done?

And yes, please do advise us when your book is published ... I'll be right behind Corno Dolce wanting to purchase this, too.

This was recorded on a digital instrument voiced to emulate a Cavaille-Coll... it's not perfect, but it sure sounds close in spots.

As for the book, I'd be pleased to offer a link to a sample entry if anyone's interested.... I hope to have the 1st edition out after the first of the year.

Best,

- G

giwro

Hello Giwro,

Did you say over 200 examples of Organ Symphonie??????? Holy Moly!!!!!!! That could take a very long time to get all that under the belt - YIKES!!!!!!!
Yes, now I understand that you have a monumental task ahead of you. God Bless you dear sir and may He bless your labor of love.

Cheers,

Corno Dolce

Well, I'm only recording those that I can't find a recording of... so that's not as crazy as you might think. Plus, one can do quite a bit of digital wizardry these days with software, so that cuts down on the time needed to get a recording right.

It has so far been a wonderful journey of discovery!

Cheers,

- G

Corno Dolce

Heelo Giwro,

Please dear sir - I would be most interested and very grateful for a snippet from your upcoming scholarly contribution to organ world literature.

Respectfully,

Corno Dolce

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
This was recorded on a digital instrument voiced to emulate a Cavaille-Coll... it's not perfect, but it sure sounds close in spots.

As for the book, I'd be pleased to offer a link to a sample entry if anyone's interested.... I hope to have the 1st edition out after the first of the year.

Best,- G

Hi Giwro,
I also would love to see a sample entry of your upcoming book - as for the recordings, they are indeed impressive, emulated or not :).

giwro

Hi Giwro,
I also would love to see a sample entry of your upcoming book - as for the recordings, they are indeed impressive, emulated or not :).

Heh...

Some purists would (and do) scoff at emulated recordings - for my purposes they are quite necessary.... the editing tricks one can do mean I can do recordings FAR more quickly than when using the old multiple takes method... Since I'm doing this as a labor of love, I don't really have time to do it any other way(!)

Here's a link to a page from the book

Some of the entries will have musical examples of the theme or short quotations from the score - it all depends on whether or not I've been able to get ahold of a score. I'm hoping in future editions to flesh out some of the information on some of the more obscure composers and give more information on the works as I obtain scores and recordings - it's an expensive proposition to buy so much music! (although I have been greatly aided by libraries and kind individuals who have helped me track down a number of rare scores).

Later today I will post another Organ Symphony for your listening pleasure!

Cheers,

- G

Corno Dolce

Hi Giwro,

Thank you so very much for providing a sample of your scholarly masterwork. The Première Symphonie by Edith Beaulieu would be very interesting to acquire, and the Symphonie in Bflat-minor by René Blin, I'm drooling already. Seeing that Blin's oeuvre would not be in public domain --- Hmmm --- where to go for a copy???

Cheers,

Corno Dolce

Btw - Oh yes, looking forward to that next Organ Symphony.

:-D

giwro

Hi Giwro,

Thank you so very much for providing a sample of your scholarly masterwork. The Première Symphonie by Edith Beaulieu would be very interesting to acquire, and the Symphonie in Bflat-minor by René Blin, I'm drooling already. Seeing that Blin's oeuvre would not be in public domain --- Hmmm --- where to go for a copy???

Cheers,

Corno Dolce

Btw - Oh yes, looking forward to that next Organ Symphony.

:-D

You can order the Beaulieu work from:
[SIZE=+1]Éditions La Dulciane[/SIZE]
19, rue du Roi, App. 2 Québec, QC G1K 2V8 Téléphone: (418) 524-1275
or drop them an email HERE

As for the Blin, it is in the Public Domain in the USA ;) as it was published before 1923. I've heard rumors that it might get reprinted someday(!)

Cheers,

-G

giwro

le Boucher - Symphonie in E

Maurice le Boucher, a student of Faure published only one organ work, his Symphonie in E. It falls roughly in 4 sections, but plays pretty much without a break from start to finish. In true French tradition, it is a cyclical work - the theme appears throughout the work in different guises, rhythmically (and otherwise) altered to produce different moods and results.

OK, here is today's link:

Symphonie in E

Because this piece is really intended to be played without a break, I've uploaded the entire work... it's about a 20mb mp3 (!)

Enjoy!

- G

nachoba

Giwro,
Really nice stuff, very well voiced organ, it does indeed sound cavaille-coll esque.
best regards
n.

Corno Dolce

Hi Giwro,

It is a true blessing that MIMF is privileged to count you as a member. Thank you for sharing the LeBoucher Symphonie. A really nice romp through the woods it was.

Cheers,

Corno Dolce

giwro

Thanks, Corno!

Once folks have had a bit to digest the le Boucher, I'll post another...

I've actually recorded a fair number of these.... some I can't share publicly because they are not in Public domain, but everything I can I will.

So far in addition to the 2 I've shared, I have done:

Germaine Labole, Symphonie in bm (4mvts)
Camille Jacquemin, Symphonie (2 of 3 mvts)
André Fleury, Symphonie 1, (4 mvts)
Georges Jacob, Symphonie, (3 of 4 mvts)
Garth Edmundson, Symphony 1 (1st mvt)
Daniel Gawthrop, Symphony "O Jerusalem" (4mvts)

Some of the recordings could stand to be re-done, as I've changed how I wish to interpret things in the last 7 years <chuckle> and my recording technique has gotten better.

Once we've "caught up" I'll only post as I have a new movement ready... that can be once a week or sometimes only once a month.

Cheers,

-G

Hi Giwro,

It is a true blessing that MIMF is privileged to count you as a member. Thank you for sharing the LeBoucher Symphonie. A really nice romp through the woods it was.

Cheers,

Corno Dolce

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
I'll second what Corno Dolce has said above ... we are indeed fortunate to have such a talented artist/composer amongst our ranks :grin:

giwro

I'll second what Corno Dolce has said above ... we are indeed fortunate to have such a talented artist/composer amongst our ranks :grin:

Awww.... shucks....

Glad to be here - you folks run a nice tight ship, and I appreciate it!

:)

-G