Fricsay's Magic Flute

Belfaborac

Hi all,

I picked up this 1959 3-LP box set from DGG some time ago in a second hand shop and I've been wondering exactly how lucky I was. The box cost me $10 or so if I remember correctly and after finally having had the records washed (there was some cell foam padding in the box which had largely disintegrated and which required better equipment than I had at the time to get rid of) they sound absolutely wonderful. Some pops and clicks, but amazingly clean for their age. I'm not well versed in classical music, but to my untrained ears it sounds like a great performance indeed, with some of the greatest singers of the time delivering excellent performances. The quality of the recording too is very, very good indeed.

I have no intention of parting with it (I've yet to sell a single record and I'm not starting with these), but I'm curious to know if the set has any value at all. If anybody has a clue, I'd be grateful for your thoughts. I'd also be very interested to hear where this performance ranks in the "Magic Flute hierarchy", although that's of course a very subjective question.

Belfaborac

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Hi Belfaborac,

I too have a collection on the DGG label: Helmut Walcha, Organist - I prize them over anything else for their recorded quality, and packaging. I refuse to part with them for any price ... so the value for these recordings of mine is 'priceless.'