Karl Jenkins

Muza

How would you categorize Karl Jenkins' music - would that be contemporary classical music???

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
This wikipedia recount of Karl Jenkins indicates his genres being Jazz and Modern Classical.

Aql in the dictionary points to modern being synonymous to contemporary ... Guess there are other differences of opinion of what constitutes modern classical and contemporary classical? It would be nice to have an example of both ... just curious really - not trying to split hairs or create a debate on the matter.

Pista Gyerek

I suppose he's the Andre Kostelanetz or Mantovani of the new millennium. I never knew specifically what to call what they were doing either.

Not in nice terms, anyway.

rovikered

This wikipedia recount of Karl Jenkins indicates his genres being Jazz and Modern Classical.

Aql in the dictionary points to modern being synonymous to contemporary ... Guess there are other differences of opinion of what constitutes modern classical and contemporary classical? It would be nice to have an example of both ... just curious really - not trying to split hairs or create a debate on the matter.

Despite what the dictionary says, modern and contemporary are not synonymous. Messiaen's music is modern but not contemporary. Karl Jenkins's music is contemporary whatever genre(s) it belongs to. Whether or not it is modern may well be arguable.
I'm not trying to split hairs but just to be accurate !
Best wishes.
rk

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Hi rovikered,

Interesting points, and well taken. Thank you for the explaination :up: