Virtuosic Brasswind Playing...

Corno Dolce

Admiral Honkenwheezenpooferspieler
Hi Ms. RoJo,

Yeah, he's quite a character - not even afraid of being self-deprecatory in a humorous way. I used to dig the sound of a tuba but less so these days - the sound reminds me of something like a thick goose-down blanket. When it is used in an Orchestra I find the sound to be very opaque and unwieldy.

However, in a brass band it comes into its own. Yes, Wagner and the other ultra-romantics specified for a tuba in most of their orchestral scores but lately I fantasize about substituting a Cimbasso to play the tuba part.

Here is a Cimbasso site:

http://www.jrdhome.plus.com/cimbasso.htm

Cheers,

Corno Dolce

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
That video was a real hoot ... :grin: ... what an amazing demonstration of such control over what most consider to be just an 'oom pah' instrument.

The Cimbasso ... strange animal ... a cross between a trombone, french horn and a tuba. Got any soundbytes for this one?

rojo

(Ret)
And why not. :grin:

Personally I like the tuba in orchestral works, particularly Pictures At An Exhibition. There's a beautiful tuba solo in it. Enjoy it in brass band as well.

Corno Dolce

Hi Ms. RoJo,

I like the Tuba Solo in the *Die Meistersinger Von Nürnberg* overture. Please don't think that I'm against the Tuba - nothing could be further from the truth. My apprehension comes from hearing too many botched performances - the tubist couldn't be part of the ensemble because the sound blanketed the rest of the orchestra - not in volume but the timbre of the sound.

Cheers,

Corno Dolce

Last edited:

Corno Dolce

Hi Krummhorn,

The Cimbasso is a *Valved Contrabass Trombone*.

Here's a website with only some *sound examples* of the Cimbasso:

http://vsl.co.at/en/70/3139/3158/5524.vsl

I have yet to find a good sound file featuring a Cimbasso. I almost bought one a few years ago but since the sound is so similar to the Contrabass Trombone w/slide, I felt that it would be superfluous.

Cheers,

Corno Dolce