What jazz have you been listening to today?

Deeru Piotr

the complete title is Follow the red line, live at the Village Vanguard and was released last year, Chris plays here with Craig Taborn (keys), Adam Rogers (my favourite guitarist lately) and Nate Smith, and what a band this is!

I've discovered there's another Village Vanguard recording by him, I didn't know that one.

The music is an exciting jazz that employs irregular meters and exotic sounds, for example in Viva Las Vilnius after the compulsive intro Chris solos over what I would call a kind of indian lament (reminiscent of Coltrane eastern sounds) to move again to the furious "riff" of the intro, in which Adam Rogers plays a solo so exciting and yes moving that one is about to scream (I mean it)

There's a studio recording by this band called just Underground which is absolutely fantastic. Here the guitar player is Wayne Krantz but the music is very very similar. They perform Yesterday in a way you probably never heard before

Greetings intet-at-abe, always a pleasure to read you

intet_at_tabe

Rear Admiral Appassionata (Ret.)
the complete title is Follow the red line, live at the Village Vanguard and was released last year, Chris plays here with Craig Taborn (keys), Adam Rogers (my favourite guitarist lately) and Nate Smith, and what a band this is!

I've discovered there's another Village Vanguard recording by him, I didn't know that one.

The music is an exciting jazz that employs irregular meters and exotic sounds, for example in Viva Las Vilnius after the compulsive intro Chris solos over what I would call a kind of indian lament (reminiscent of Coltrane eastern sounds) to move again to the furious "riff" of the intro, in which Adam Rogers plays a solo so exciting and yes moving that one is about to scream (I mean it)

There's a studio recording by this band called just Underground which is absolutely fantastic. Here the guitar player is Wayne Krantz but the music is very very similar. They perform Yesterday in a way you probably never heard before

Greetings intet-at-abe, always a pleasure to read you

Like wise my dear sir Deeru Piotr.

Thank you so much for this info. Happy and very satisfied that you have Adam Rogers (guitar) as a fave. Incredible guitarist. I first heard of AR with the late jazz tenor saxophone GIANT Michael Brecker. AR with the Big Band of MB on the album "Wide Angels", Verve Records 2003. The same album, where the latest of drummers from the Pat Metheny Group and the trio with PM and Christian Mcbride (double bass) - Antonio Sanchez hits the kit.

Wayne Krantz, of course I know of him too from The Don´s equals Donald Fagen´s (Steely Dan) latest solo album "Morph The Cat", Reprise Records 2006 along with other great guitarist like Hugh McCracken and Jimmy Herrington.

Here´s a suggestion for you Deeru Piotr loving electric guitarists in jazz. Try to find the two albums "Fusion for Miles", Mascot Records 2005 - 10 songs by Miles Davis with 10 top notch guitarists and the album with copy songs by Steely Dan "The Royal Dan", Mascot Records 2006 - 10 fave Steely Dan songs from 1972 (where I personally got hooked with The Don and Walter Becker) with another 10 great guitarists.

Btw. Nate Smith is the new drummer with the Dave Holland Quintet, I believe?

Finally for the benefit of "The Life of Brian Bromberg", whom I found records with Michael Bouble´, Stan Getz, Shirley Horn and Chris Botti, please stay here on this thread, we need new blood.

Anyways, thank you so much for the info on Chris Potter, agreed he has that John Coltrane approach and Deeru Piotr have a great weekend.

Last edited:

intet_at_tabe

Dear Intet,

Click on the following link for Brian Bromberg:

http://www.brianbromberg.net/

Cheers,

CD :):):):)

ps. Back on topic: "Wood" by Brian Bromberg.

Corno Dolce - Off topic.

Thank you for the link to Brian Bromberg. It sounds great his new album, "Cantalupe Island" the first song. Like I´ve already stated to Deeru Piotr - who has his birthday to day :cheers::banana::trp::clap::tiphat::guitar::lol::whistle: not knowing if he is older than I or younger than you laddy, I found albums where he plays with a singer/pianist, a tenor saxophone very samba brazilian addicted guy and at the same time a true lover of Danish snaps, a female jazz singer and a trumpist, but not in his own name as Brian Bromberg.

Like I said earlier Denmark on jazz is like a thrid world suffering country. Who gives a s..t about jazz music?

Corno Dolce

Admiral Honkenwheezenpooferspieler
"Denmark on Jazz is like a third world suffering country" - WOW!!! Intet - That is a powerful phrase dear sir. I feel that the same could be said about Sweden. There is tons of apathy in Sweden in regards to performing arts like Classical Music and Jazz and fine arts exhibits.

The same can be said about the situation in my little corner of the Galaxy. Once you live outside major metropolitain cities, hey, tough luck buddy. The burden falls on those who are committed to the cause - no free ride here Charlie and no marketing billions as one sees in the pop, rock, gangsta rap world.

In a way, those kinds of odds puts a keen edge on those of us who are exponents of Classical and Jazz as well as the listening public. Because we are up against such odds, we get some of the finest groups and individual musicians like the Standards Trio, Renee Fleming and many, many others. The really fine performing artists and fine arts artisans come up from difficult personal and societal circumstances. Yes, there are exceptions although...

Back on topic: "The Out-Of-Towners" by the Standards Trio.

Cheers,

CD :):):):)

intet_at_tabe

Benny Goodman 'Made in Japan'.

Off topic specificly on Benny Goodman - The King of Swing.

Nice choice Mush and I hope you do feel welcome here on this thread, which need new sponsors. Benny Goodman a class act in the Big Band and Swing era in the USA, playing the clarinet himself.

Like Chris Potter, Benny Goodman was born in Chicago, Ill, but in 1909 prior to the first WW, who died in 1986 after a full working life in jazz, spreading joy to all sorts of people on any dance floor.

BG grew up in the very poor jewish invironment in Chicago, studying music in the local synagoge, began playing the clarinet from the age of 10. He impressed every one at a local talent competition, and was offered to join the well known band at the time in Chicago - The Ben Pollack Orchestra playing the clarinet from 1925, at the age of 16. He toured with the BP Orchestra for 4 years until 1929, during that time BG recorded his first album in his own name in 1928. His first album was with Red Nichols, with whom he played until 1930. Then recorded with Bix Beiderbecke, Ted Lewis and Joe Venuti. During the time from 1925 BG also played the tenor saxophone, trumpet and bass clarinet. But it was the clarinet he loved the most. From 1934 he went to N.Y.C. where he and his orchestra then became the first band to have regular swing music on the Radio, the program titled "Let´s Dance". The next year in 1935 while touring in L.A., California he got his breakthrough on the USA jazz scene.

He returned to Chicago in late 1935 and from then on he had specially chosen musicians as regular members of his orchestra like Gene Krupa/Dave Tough (drums), Bunny Berigan/Harry James/Ziggy Elman (trumpets), Bud Freeman (tenor saxophone), Jess Stacy (piano). In 1936 BG recorded with Teddy Wilson (piano) and Gene Krupa as a trio. In 1937-38 he recorded his first quartet album titled "Jazz Concerts" on CBS. The other musicians then were Horace Henderson, Edgar Sampson and still Gene Krupa.

The quartet became a sextet with Lionel Hampton (vibraphone) and Charlie Christian (el. guitar). In 1939 he performed with this sextet at The Carnegie Hall, N.Y.C. A lot of the songs from this period in time as the Benny Goodman Sextet, can be found on the Memorial Album of Charlie Christian, CBS/Sony 1939-41.

Then new musicians like Cootie Williams (trumpet) and Count Basie (piano) arrived with also a new drummer Jo Jones. After being ill during the late 1941, BG reorganized his orchestra with Roy Eldridge, Buck Clayton, Fats Navarro (trumpets), Bill Harris (trombone), Wardell Grey and Zoot Sims (tenor saxophones), Red Norvo (vibraphone) Teddy Wilson or Jimmy Rowles (piano), Billy Bauer (guitar), Slam Stewart (double bass). BG has acted in severel american movies, and being a kaukasian white man, he took a special interest in breaking down the racial differences, often having some of the very best black jazz musicians in his current band.. BG also interpretated classical music by Bela Bartok, Aaron Copland and Paul Hindemith.

Benny Goodman became the most celebrated Big Band leader on vinyl records and in movies in the USA during the time 1940-1960 beside the Duke Ellington- and the Count Basie Orchestras. BG mastered the clarinet as an instrument to perfection - in short Benny Goodman became identical to the KING OF SWING and during these different bands a lot of new talented scollered musicians had their first performances on any stage throughout the USA and often traveling to Europe as well.

Benny Goodman died on 05.13.1986 at his home in Chicago, Ill. USA.

Last edited:

intet_at_tabe

On topic this grey dark cold morning:

Stewe Swallow (el. bass guitar) on his album "Always Put Your Uniform On Top", Watt Works 2000.

The musicians: Chris Potter (tenor saxophone), Barry Ries (trumpet), Mick Goodrick (el. guitar) and Adam Nussbaum (drums).

intet_at_tabe

"Moonlight Serenade" by the Glenn Miller Orchestra.

Geez Corno Dolce

It´s almost 9 in the AM on Sunday, and you pull the most romantic song for dancing close to the lady in your life, from somewhere unkown to me at this early hour.

Glenn Miller, I forgot to mention on my historical entry on Benny Goodman. GM another great American band leader and trombone player, born in Clarinda, Iowa, USA in 1904. GM did not only act as a soldier in movies, he was drafted and the real thing as a soldier overseas during the WW II. GM became as well, the musical leader and the conductor of The American Forces Band, which had great success both among American soldiers in Europe and back in the USA. His musical background like the background for Benny Goodman was in the orchestra of Ben Pollack from 1926-1927 playing the trombone.

The songs "Moonlight Serenade" - "Little Brown Jug" - "In The Mood" (the three of them composed in 1939) and American Patrol (1942) all songs related to the hands and the baton of Glenn Miller, who passed away 12.15.1944 during a military flight from France and England.

intet_at_tabe

On topic: Keith Jarrett (piano) and his Scandinavian Quartet. The title song on the album "My Song", ECM Records 1978.

The Scandinavian musicians: Jan Garbarek (tenor saxophone), Palle Danielsson (double bass) and Jon Christensen (drums).

Corno Dolce

Admiral Honkenwheezenpooferspieler
Hi Intet,

I aim to please :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

I have always liked Glenn Miller's tunes - they remain timeless and "In The Mood".

Cheers,

CD :):):):):):):)

intet_at_tabe

Hi Intet,

I aim to please :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

I have always liked Glenn Miller's tunes - they remain timeless and "In The Mood".

Cheers,

CD :):):):):):):)

You realy do dear honorable sir - Aim to please!!.

An amasing always welcome talent :clap::clap::tiphat::tiphat:

On topic:

The same album with Keith Jarrett "My Song", but instead the long and very beautiful last song on the album "The Journey Home".

Mat

Sr. Regulator
Staff member
Sr. Regulator
Regulator
Yoshiko Kishino - Praha

Intet, have you heard of Lars Danielsson?

He was born in 1958, educated from the Music Conservatory in Gothenburg. He plays various instruments, for example double bass, piano and cello. He's worked with John Scofield, Jack DeJohnette, Billy Hart and many many others. Among them is Polish jazz pianist - Leszek Możdżer, with whom Danielsson played in trio (the third guy is Zohar Fresco, drums). It is also worth to mention about "Lars Danielsson Quartet" - David Liebman (saxophone), Bobo Stenson (pianist), Jon Christensen (a legend from ECM, drums) and of course Danielsson himself. His last bigger undertaking was "Libera Me" where he played not only with jazz musicians but also with Danish Radio Concert Orchestra, conductor Frans Rassmusen.

By the way. E-mail's waiting for ya:).

intet_at_tabe

Yoshiko Kishino - Praha

Intet, have you heard of Lars Danielsson?

My dear Polish most admirered multi instrumentalist and highly gifted classical musician, and friend, the future director of the specially manufactored biscuit, Mat.

Yes, I do know of Lars Danielsson :tiphat:

Here´s for you to enjoy in English http://www.myspace.com/larsdanielsson

I guess, what you didn´t know about Lars, what a great Danish name btw. :grin::grin::grin::grin: is that he is married to the awesome Danish vocalist, the best female jazz singer in Denmark for years Ms. Cæcilie Nordby, who can sing with a very deep voice but who can also go very high up. Must be over severel octaves.

I have the album "Continuation" by Lars Danielsson (double bass) with John Abercrombie (guitars) and Adam Nussbaum (drums), and two albums with Ms. Cæcilie Nordby. The first one "Cæcilie Nordny" feat. the late Danish NHØP (double bass), Niels lan Doky (piano) and Billy Hart (drums) and the second album, I have is:

Back on topic:

The album for this sunday at High Noon is Cæcilie Nordby´s "Queen Of Bad Excuses" feat. CN (vocals), Lars Danielsson - her husband (double bass, cello), John Scofield (guitars) Lars Jansson another talented Swede (piano) and Ove Kjelllberg/Billy Hart (drums) .

I´ve got your wonderful mail Mat, I even returned one to you. Have a great sunday buddy of mine.

Mat

Sr. Regulator
Staff member
Sr. Regulator
Regulator
Intet - my friend,

You're right. I didn't know he was married to Cæcilie Nordby. They must be a great couple togheter. He - double bass, piano, guitar and cello player, she - great jazz vocalist:):). Sometimes I think of you as of inexhaustible source of jazz knowledge:). Thanks for the info.

Unfortunately, Intet, I didn't get your return e-mail:(.

On topic:
Swingle singers and Modern Jazz Quartet Singing Bach and Mozart

P.S Sunday is sunny indeed today. I hope as sunny as in Denmark:)

intet_at_tabe

On topic after an exillerating long weekend:

Next to the legendary female jazz/blues singer, the african american Billie Holiday (born Eleonora Holiday in Baltimore, Maryland, USA in 1915) a.k.a. her nick name Lady Day, no one else but Cassandra Wilson (born in the south of the USA in Jackson, Mississipi in 1955) decades later than BH has made her mark in jazz-blues, folk and r&b singing for two decades in a row.

The voice and the soul of Cassandra Wilson (originally educated with a university degree in communication), resemblence the black soul of the former african american slaves on the sugar and cotton fields in the south, when slavery and segregation were every day obsticles to survive for the african american population in the USA.

But the soul of and the voice of Cassandra Wilson also resemblence the evolvement portraited in Dr. Martin Luther King and his Civil-Rights-Movement in the early 1960´s supported by the former President of the USA, John Fitzgerald Kennedy a.k.a. JFK.

So the jazz for today is Cassandra Wilson on her album "Thunderbird", Blue Note Records 2006 feat. CW (vocals, acoustic guitar), Keefus Ciancia (piano) Mars Ribot/Brandon Ross/Kevin Breit (guitars, banjo), Gib Wharton (pedal steel guitar), Lonnie Plaxido/Reginald veal (double bass), Dougie Bowne/Jim Keltner (drums) and Cyro Baptista/Jeff Haynes (percussion)

intet_at_tabe

Mat :tiphat::clap::banana::trp::angel::pray:, you sent me an e-mail with the first movement of the "Hungarian Pictures", by Bela Bartok, please look to you pm´s here at the MIMF.

Now you say, you did not get my return e-mail. Well my friend, as we both know, the Lord works in mysterious ways. It has not been easy so far for us to get together through e-mails across the syber space, we just gotta hang in. Then you said:

Intet - my friend,

Sometimes I think of you as of inexhaustible source of jazz knowledge:).

Dear admirered classical musician extraordinaire, Mat.

Like our equaly common sponsor to this great jazz thread, sir Vice Admiral Virtuoso Corno Dolce once said:

"Flattery will get you everywhere". :clap::banana::trp::lol::lol::lol::lol:

However, dear friend and equal jazz freak, I feel overwhelmed with your flattery. :tiphat::banana::trp: Thank you, grateful to you.

intet_at_tabe

The album "8:30" by that AWESOME frontier breaker in the electric jazz: Weather Report - LIVE, released by Columbia Records 1979/remastered by Sony Music 1994.

The musicians: Josef Zawinul (piano, keyboards, Prophet 5 syntheziser, Korg Vocorder), Wayne Shorter (tenor and soprano saxophone), the late Jaco Pastorius (fender el. fretless bass, drums), Peter Erskine (drums) and Erich Zawinul (perscussion).

A greatly missed band.

Mat

Sr. Regulator
Staff member
Sr. Regulator
Regulator
Joey DeFrancesco - Live At The Five Spot

Joey DeFrancesco (Hammond XB3 organ); Robert Landham (alto saxophone); Houston Person, Illinois Jacquet, Grover Washington Jr., Kirk Whalum (tenor saxophone); Jim Henry (trumpet, flugelhorn); Jack McDuff (Hammond B-3 organ); Paul Bollenback (guitar); Bryon "Wookie" Landham (drums).

What can I say? Mr. Joey DeFrancesco is my personal Hammond Organ guru:grin::grin::grin: