What jazz have you been listening to today?

intet_at_tabe

Rear Admiral Appassionata (Ret.)
Jack DeJohnette as the bandleader on his album "Audio-Visualscapes", MCA Records 1988.

The musicians:

JD (drums, el. keyboards), Greg Osby (alto and soprano saxophone), Gary Thomas (tenor saxophone, flute, bass clarinet), Mick Goodrick (guitars) and Lonnie Plaxido (double bass, el. bass).

intet_at_tabe

I´ll second your choice dear sir Corno Dolce "Up For It", by the Standards Trio - it is.

The album have both "My Funny Valentine" and "Autumn Leaves" - Awesome songs.

Corno Dolce

Admiral Honkenwheezenpooferspieler
Dear Intet,

Right now I'm listening to Jan Johansson "Jazz På Svenska" = Jazz In Swedish.
'Tis interesting how the melodies from Dalarna fit hand in glove with Jazz. I have the complete arrangements of "Dalakoraler" by Bengt Granstam who is /was organist at Stora Tuna Kyrka[Church].

Cheers,

CD :):):)

intet_at_tabe

Dear Intet,

Right now I'm listening to Jan Johansson "Jazz På Svenska" = Jazz In Swedish.
'Tis interesting how the melodies from Dalarna fit hand in glove with Jazz. I have the complete arrangements of "Dalakoraler" by Bengt Granstam who is /was organist at Stora Tuna Kyrka[Church].

Cheers,

CD :):):)

AWESOME Corno Dolce, you know about the Swede Jan Johansson. :tiphat::clap:Of course you do.

Jan Johansson (piano) was born in Søderhamn, Sweden on 09/16/1931. He played the piano from the age of 11. He bacame a professional musician at the age of 23 playing with the orchestra of Gunnar Johnson.

In 1959-60 he performed at the Danish Jazz House Montmartre with Stan Getz (tenor saxophone) and Oscar Pettiford (double bass and cello), and toured with Stan Getz throughout Europe in the socalled JATP tours. From 1961 to his death, he was a regular member of the Arne Domnerus (alto saxophone, clarinet) groups, and from 1967-68 the Swedish Radio Jazz Orchestra.

Jan Johansson composed music for films, theaters, and the TV. The famous Swedish TV-series for children "Pippi Langstrømpe", written by the Swedish author Astrid Lindgren, JJ composed the special TV edition of this song. As a composer JJ often worked with the Swedish double bass player Georg Ridel.

On the albums "Jazz på Svenska" and "Musik gennom fyra sekler", both released by Megafon 1964 and 1968, JJ showed his interests in themes of the tradition of the Swedish Folk Music. He played and recorded in a Big Band too on the album "300.000". He has recorded with mostly scandinavian musicians up to the time, when he departured on 11/09/1968.

Jan Johansson had a huge influence in Sweden in Jazz compositions i the late 1950`s-1960´s.

Last edited:

intet_at_tabe

But let´s remain with the bandleader on this album a highly political oppotunist - Jack DeJohnette on his album "Music For The Fifth World", Somethin Else´Records/Capitol Records Records 1992.

The musicians:

JD/Will Calhoun (drums, keyboards, percussion, vocals), Joan Henry (vocals), Vernon Reid/John Scofield (guitars), Michael Cain (piano, syntheziser) and Lonnie Plaxido (double bass, el. bass)

intet_at_tabe

Hi guys, where are you?

Not a single post since yesterday morning on jazz. Are you guys ill??? Or perhaps tired of jazz???

On topic:

The remarkable album "Sonny Meets Hawk", RCA Victor Records 1963/remastered by GRP Records 2000.

Until Sonny Rollins (tenor saxophone) appeared on the American and the international jazz scene known as the Boss, the former KING among the tenor saxophonists world wide was another American, with the name of Coleman Hawkins.

So this album presents the musical meeting between the Boss (SR) and the King (CH) of the tenor saxophone, since the 1940´s.

The musicians:

Sonny Rollins (right channel) and Coleman Hawkins (left channel), Paul Bley (piano), Henry Grimes or Bob Cranshaw (double bass) and Roy Mc Gurdy (drums).

You only have to listen to the two of them duel on songs like "All The Things You Are" and "Lover Man" among the 6 songs on the album. Estatic!!

intet_at_tabe

CD, my dear equal methenyist

I got it today Corno Dolce, all the eleven albums, by Pat Metheny I had ordered, as I told you on March 6 - in a parcel to big to enter my mail box, so I had to go to the postel office to get it, only because I was out for 25 minutes at a neighbour´s house.

AWESOME!!! AWESOME!!! I´m in heaven.

So on topic for this holy afternoon, while the heavy Easter snow seems but just a memory:

The Pat Metheny Group, live on the album "The Road To You", Metheny Group Productions 1993/NoneSuch 2006.

The musicians:

PM (guitars, guitar syntheziser), Lyle Mays (piano, keyboards), Steve Rodby (double bass, el. bass), Paul Wertico (drums and all the cymbals in the world), Armando Marsal (percussion, timbales, congas, voice) and Pedro Aznar (voice, acoustic guitar, percussion, saxophone, steel drums, vibes, marimba and melodica).

The opening song "Have You Heard" and number 4 song "Half Life of Absolution" - the whole freakin´album AWESOME. I even had my two drums sticks out from the darkness of my bookracks.

What a live album. I can´t help thinking, what a great composer and guitarist Pat Metheny is. People I know in Copenhagen, who have seen the GRP say, he always smiles during concerts and applaude towards the audience saying Thank You for coming to the show.

I have to book myself in at one of the first rows in a concert hall the next time, he will visit Denmark.

Mat

Sr. Regulator
Staff member
Sr. Regulator
Regulator
Hi guys, where are you?

Not a single post since yesterday morning on jazz. Are you guys ill??? Or perhaps tired of jazz???

Intet, tired of jazz? Are you serious:p? Is that even possible:p:p:p? I've been pretty busy lately. Seriously. But now I've got a moment - so here I am:).

On topic:
Chick Corea & Bobby McFerrin - Live Montreux

intet_at_tabe

Intet, tired of jazz? Are you serious:p? Is that even possible:p:p:p? I've been pretty busy lately. Seriously. But now I've got a moment - so here I am:).

On topic:
Chick Corea & Bobby McFerrin - Live Montreux

On topic: The incredible american jazz guitarist, the phenomenon Pat Metheny and his group on the album "We Live Here", by Metheny Group Productions 1994/remastered by NoneSuch 2006.

The musicians:

PM (guitars, guitar syntheziser), Lyle Mays (piano, keyboards), David Blamires (vocals), the late Mark Ledford (vocals, whistling, flugelhorn, trumpet), Steve Rodby (double bass, el. bass), Paul Wertico (drums) and Luis Conte (percussion)

Mat :tiphat:, my dear friend and tutor on classical music, picked by an expert.

You´re excused for legal reasons. You have more important things in the bag to take care of for the next months. As long as you keep e-mailing me new samples of what you enjoy, I´m your defence lawyer :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Don´t worry, be happy - that´s the quote from Bobby McFerrin. That´s how I feel concerning you, nada problemo.

intet_at_tabe

Next jazz album in line today on Friday, March 28, the Pat Metheny album "Imaginary Day", released by Metheny Group Productions 1997, which is not a typical PMG album. More it´s a sort of a solo project from Pat.

Mostly the same musicians as on "We Live Here" and "The Road To You", but add to this, Pat Metheny also beside all the already known guitars of his, playing the fretless classical guitar and the customed built 42 string Picasso guitar (solo) on song three "Into The Dream".

Beside PM, Lyle Mays, Steve Rodby, Paul Wertico, David Blamires, Mark Ledford - the ordinary members of the PMG at that time, we hear Charlie Haden (double bass) and not less than the four percussionists: Minu Cinelu/David Samuels/Glen Velez/Don Alias.

The title song "Imaginary Day" opens the party, but one song that realy took me by surprice was number 7 song "The Roots Of Coincidence". What a strange and yet beautiful song, PM almost introducing the guitar played by the late Jimi Hendrix, only to change to the guitar syntheziser during the song. Realy amasing song by Pat and his long time friend Lyle Mays.

Yesterday, my first listening of these new 11 albums by PM, I thought "The Road To You" was the very best album, I´ve ever heard by Pat Metheny. However this lad, born in the very innovative year of 1954, from Missouri, USA surprices me again and again.

I´ll better wait until I´ve been through all 11 new PM albums, to bring a judgement on which album is the better - probably not possible in the end, anyways.

Mat

Sr. Regulator
Staff member
Sr. Regulator
Regulator

You´re excused for legal reasons. You have more important things in the bag to take care of for the next months. As long as you keep e-mailing me new samples of what you enjoy, I´m your defence lawyer :lol::lol::lol::lol:

And what happens when I will stop e-mailing you??:p:p:p:grin::grin::grin: Or I won't better ask;););).

Back on topic:
Pat Metheny - The road to you

intet_at_tabe

And what happens when I will stop e-mailing you??:p:p:p:grin::grin::grin: Or I won't better ask;););).

Back on topic:
Pat Metheny - The road to you

Now Mat

I already told you what will happen :lol::lol::lol::lol::clap::clap::clap::clap::trp::trp::trp::trp::banana::banana::banana::banana:

Nothing, except I won´t get the new and vital to me classical musical inspiration, which you so generously offer. Like you stated on an e-mail: I have the feeling, it´s because of me.

Of course my friend, it´s because of you.

Do you have "The Road To You" on CD? Don´t you find it´s AWESOME?

Mat

Sr. Regulator
Staff member
Sr. Regulator
Regulator
No, on my HDD. And to tell you the truth - I don't think it's awesome. Now now, Intet. Don't you kill me:p:grin::grin:. It's just not quite the type of music I listen to. I like only two songs from that album. I have several others albums of Pat Metheny that I haven't listened yet. Maybe they will suit my jazz taste better? Who knows.

intet_at_tabe

"A Map of The World" is the title of an album by Pat Metheny, when the film by the same name, directed by Scott Elliott, was done. The album and the movie score released by Metheny Group Productions 1999.

The are 28 short songs, mostly for acoustic guitar with a huge symphony oirchestra as backing, but also three known former PMG musicians play on the album. The longest tune is 6:28 minutes and the shortest 0:20.

I guess one would have to have seen the movie to realy get into the songs, at least as a reviewer. But the album is quite different from anything else recorded by Pat Metheny.

Funny though, there is a tune called "Flight" with excepts from a JSBach tune from "Komm Susser Tod".

methodistgirl

I've been listening to one of our own members play jazz. Cefobe is
really good at it. I find myself sometimes playing along with my
estaban. Try him out!
judy tooley

intet_at_tabe

"Kind of Blue" is what Miles Davis would have said, had he not passed away years ago, about the Pat Metheny Trio album "Question & Answer", by Geffen Records 1990.

Best songs are "Solar" - "Question & Answer" - and "All The Things You Are" - Totally groovy!!

The musicians:

PM (guitars and guitar syntheziser), Dave Holland (double bass) and Roy Haynes (drums).

AWESOME album for this trio, who only recorded the one album as a jazz trio.

intet_at_tabe

No, on my HDD. And to tell you the truth - I don't think it's awesome. Now now, Intet. Don't you kill me:p:grin::grin:. It's just not quite the type of music I listen to. I like only two songs from that album. I have several others albums of Pat Metheny that I haven't listened yet. Maybe they will suit my jazz taste better? Who knows.

Mat buddy

You don´t have to love the same PM albums or any other jazz albums as I.

I sent you a longer e-mail yesterday. A bit off my usual well being this morning, since playing chess all night until 06 in the early AM with Claus, the father of Peter and my very best friend here.

He will mostly beat me in a historical discussion, but never in chess.

Corno Dolce

Admiral Honkenwheezenpooferspieler
"Cathedral" with:

Charlie Mariano on the alto and soprano sax

Vitold Rek on the Doble Bass

Peter Reiter on the pipe organ

Taso Music TMP CD 611