What jazz have you been listening to today?

intet_at_tabe

Rear Admiral Appassionata (Ret.)
Monday morning having coffee, listening to the american guitarist John Abercrombie on his trio album "Tactics", by the ECM Records 1997.

The musicians:

JA - acoustic/el. guitars
Dann Wall - Hammond B3 organ
Adam Nussbaum - drums

intet_at_tabe

Continueing with another John Abercrombie trio album of an earlier date "Current Events", by the ECM Records 1986.

The musicians:

JA - acoustic/el. guitars, guitar syntheziser
Marc Johnson - double bass
Peter Erskine - drums

intet_at_tabe

Ending the jazz for this monday morning, soon to leave for work, with another John Abercrombie Trio album of an earlier date "Timeless", by the ECM Records 1975.

The musicians:

JA - acoustic/el. guitars
Jan Hammer - piano, organ, synthezisers
Jack DeJohnette - drums

My very first JA album.

intet_at_tabe

Good morning Corno Dolce.

First jazz album this morning at 6:14 AM, Chick Corea Quartet from Stretch Records 1981 entitled "Three Quartets".

One of these albums of Chick´s having listened to it once, you know by heart that it has no comparison. I believe Chick got this band together to his own amusement, then things evolved during the recording resulting in one of the very best acoustic jazz albums of Chick´s.

The musicians:

Chick Corea - piano
Michael Brecker - tenor saxophone
Eddie Gomez - double bass
Steve Gadd - drums

intet_at_tabe

Chick Corea Electric Band on the album "Light Years", GRP Records 1987.

The musicians:

Chick Corea - piano, keyboards
Eric Marienthal - tenor, alto and soprano saxophones
Frank Gambale - guitars
John Patituuci - double bass, and el. bass
Dave Weckl - drums

Off to work, my offer to you guys - Have a great day.

intet_at_tabe

Hi udyret :tiphat: - Off topic

Nice to se you here for the jaaaazz. Perhaps you are a genuin fan of good ole´ Herbie Hancock, a master of innovative jazz for the piano, keyboards, synthezisers in various groups, since he became the pianist in the famous MILES DAVIS QUINTET in the 1960´s with the equally esteemed musicians Wayne Shorter, Ron Carter and Tony Williams etc.etc.

On topic.

In your honor udyret, I have just put on the double live CD album "Round About Midnight", Columbia Records 1956, remastered by Sony Music Entertainment 2001.

The musicians:

MD - trumpet
John Coltrane - tenor saxophone
Red Garland -piano
Paul Chambers - double bass
Joe Jones - drums

intet_at_tabe

Final offer, at least from this Danish jazz freak, for jazz to night will be the great Joe Henderson on the CD 4 out of 8 CD´s in all on "The Milestone Years", released by Milestone Records 1994.

The musicians:

JH - tenor saxophone
Curtis Fuller - trombone
Pete Yellin - reeds
George Cables/Hideo Ichikawa - el. piano
Stanley Clarke/Kunimitsu Inaba - double bass, el. bass
Lenny White/Motihiko Hino - drums

intet_at_tabe

The Keith Jarrett Trio on the album "Life Between The Exit Signs", released by Atlantic Records, 1968. Remastered for CD in 2004 by Elektra Entertainment.

I only bought this album about a year ago, with some 5 other albums from the late 1960´s and the beginning of the 1970´s, before KJ became a regular with the ECM Records, Germany and his later long time friend the producer Manfred Eicher in 1971/72.

The musicians:

Keith Jarrett - piano
Charlie Haden - double bass
Paul Motian - drums

Funny, there are two songs entitled the same "Love" 1 & 2. 1 is very melodic and the second "Love 2" is free jazz, could have been Ornette Coleman for all I care, except the instrumentation do not cover the alto saxophone mostly played by Ornette Coleman.

intet_at_tabe

The Keith Jarrett Trio on the album "Somewhere Before", released by Atlantic Records 1969, remastered by Elektra Entertainment 2004.

The well known Bob Dylan song "My Back Pages" opens this album by the trio, where every other song was composed by Keith Jarrett.

The musicians:

Keith Jarrett - piano
Charlie Haden - double bass
Paul Motian - drums

intet_at_tabe

Hi Corno Dolce :tiphat:

Have you ordered the Terje Rypdal albums we spoke about?

On topic:

Dinner time jazz from the "Keith Jarrett & Gary Burton Quintet", Atlantic Records 1970.

Funny thing is, they only did the one album as a quintet, but as we all know Keith Jarrett & Gary Burton recorded as a duo as well. Back to the album for dinner.

The musicians:

Keith Jarrett - piano
Gary Burton - vibes
Sam Brown - el. guitar
Steve Swallow - el. bass
Bill Goodwin -drums

Corno Dolce

Admiral Honkenwheezenpooferspieler
Hello Intet,

Yes, I have ordered it and await its arrival.

Cheers,

CD :tiphat::tiphat::tiphat::tiphat:

intet_at_tabe

Hello Intet,

Yes, I have ordered it and await its arrival.

Cheers,

CD :tiphat::tiphat::tiphat::tiphat:

Great dear sir Corno Dolce :tiphat::clap:

I am excited to hear from you, when you´ve got it and have listened to it. You will notice the "If Mountains Could Sing" album has quite a rare instrumentation for a jazz album:

TR - guitars
Bjørn Kjellemyr - double bass, el. bass
Audun Kleive - drums
Terje Tønnesen - violin
Øystein Birkeland - violincello
Lars Anders Tomter - viola
CHristian Eggen - Conducter

I just love the electric guitar by TR, check out the first song "The Return Of Per Ulv". At the same time wierd, wild and new but also with a very easy theme, which I often keep in my head the whole day, like with pop songs.

Another thing, you can always hear, whether TR plays the guitar or someone else. Many of the songs recorded by TR has a link to old Norwegian folklore, traditional Norwegian folk songs and the myths. His aim in jazz seems to be to explore on the different sounds from the el. guitar in connection with not ordinary instruments from jazz.

Bjørn and Audun he picked up more or less straight from scratch, meaning they did not have any serious musical schooling. On the album "Blue" it´s just the three of them. Or the album "Descendre" The instrumentation for the trio are the Dane Palle Mikkelborg (trumpet, flugelhorn and keyboards) and Jon Christensen (drums, percussion).

Good luck with your new albums, and please tell me what you think?

Last edited:

intet_at_tabe

The album "Bright Size Life" by the Pat Metheny Trio, released by the ECM Records in 1976. Pat´s first recording with the ECM by the help, the courtesy of and introduction by Gary Burton.

The musicians:

PM - 6 and 12 string acoustic and el. guitars
Jaco Pastorius - el. fretless bass
Bob Moses - drums

Mat

Sr. Regulator
Staff member
Sr. Regulator
Regulator
Michel Camilo - One More Once

Michel Petrucciani & Marcus Miller - Dreyfus Night In Paris

intet_at_tabe

John Scofield Band on the album "Still Warm", released by Gramavision Records 1988.

JS - guitars
Don Grolnick - keyboards
Darryl Jones - el. bass
Omar Hakim - drums