What jazz have you been listening to today?

intet_at_tabe

Rear Admiral Appassionata (Ret.)
For you Night Hawks, I´ll give you "MY Way" sung by the late Olé Blue Eyes aka Frank Sinatra.

I just love Frankie Boy, always has always will.

intet_at_tabe

The American jazz-rock group Steely Dan, who completely invaded my musical universe in 1972. This morning I´ll give you Steely Dan on the album "Count Down To Ecstacy", by MCA Records 1983.

Steely Dan concistingly over the years a legendary jazz-rock band, but the recording sessions and the tours very few outside the US in more than thirty years, forever changing musicians on each album. Not to mention Donald Fagen had huge difficulties in ending his drugs addiction, it lasted for more than 12 years for The Don to finally give the drugs up.

The musicians on "Count Down To Ecstacy":

Donald Fagen - lead vocals, el. piano, piano, synthezisers
Walter Becker - vocals, el. bass, el. guitar, harmonica
Denny Diaz/Jeff "Skunk" Baxter - lead el. guitars, pedal steel guitar
Jim Hodder - drums, marimba, saxophone, percussion

The Don (nick name for Donald Fagen) and Walter Becker composed all the songs and the lyrics on each album by Steely Dan, experimenting with different guitarists and drummers, some times four different guitarists on the same album.

A drummers drummer like the American Steve Gadd participated on the album "Aja", which actually included one of the best drums-solos in the history of jazz-rock on the title song "Aja".

intet_at_tabe

Michel Camilo Quartet with Big Band on his faboulos album "One More Once", Sony Music 1994.

The Trio:

Michel Camilo - piano
Anthony Jackson - acoustic guitar bass, double bass
Marvin "Smitty" Smith - drums

AWESOME album. The second song "Why Not" and song six "Just Kidding" are yet some of the best MC compositions.

Last edited:

intet_at_tabe

Jazz for tuesday´s lunch. Joe Henderson Quintet on his inflamatory album "Our Thing", recorded by Blue Note Records 1963, remastered 1999.

The musicians:

Joe Henderson - tenor saxophone
Kenny Dorham - trumpet
Andrew Hill - piano
Eddie Khan - double bass
Pete La Roca - drums

Joe Henderson and Kenny Dorham are legends in jazz as a trumpeter and a saxophonist on the same set or stage. This album prove the two of them at their very best.

Corno Dolce

Admiral Honkenwheezenpooferspieler
Hi Intet - Hi Mat,

Yes, and I like each and every track on them.

Cheers,

CD :tiphat::tiphat::tiphat::tiphat:

intet_at_tabe

How´s ya been Deeru Piotr :tiphat::clap::trp::banana:

I see you hit on the old double album "Expectations", from 1972 by Keith Jarrett. In your honor dear sir, you should try another double album recorded three years earlier "Foundations", Atlantic Records 1969. Almost the same musicians as on "Expectations", except for Sam Brown (el. guitar) and the Big Band are not on the "Foundations" album.

On topic this Wednesday morning:

The musicians on "Foundations" are:

Keith Jarrett - piano, soprano saxophone, osi drums and percussion
Dewey Redman - tenor saxophone, Chinese musette and percussion
Charlie Haden - double bass
Paul Motian - drums and percussion
Guilhermo Franco - percussion

At your conveinience sir!!

intet_at_tabe

Hi Intet - Hi Mat,

Yes, and I like each and every track on them.

Cheers,

CD :tiphat::tiphat::tiphat::tiphat:

Off topic:

Great to hear Corno Dolce :tiphat: And even better that you enjoy the albums, which I am sure you will recognize at least for the Terje Rypdal albums, they are very different in the compositions and the instrumentation.

So happy, I could advice (for once) ;) you, my dear friend and inspirator.