What jazz have you been listening to today?

intet_at_tabe

Rear Admiral Appassionata (Ret.)
On this holy sunday, May 18 just before my lunch, I´ll give you the album "Sundance" by Chick Corea & Friends, released by Charly Records 1997.

Chick Corea is one of my biggest inspirations of all into jazz music from the early 1970´s, when I first got a hang of it. I believe this album is from way back late in the 1960´s, but it does not say.

The musicians:

Chick Corea - el. piano, piano
Hubert laws - flute, piccolo flute
Horace Arnold - tenor saxophone
Woody Shaw - trumpet, flugelhorn
Dave Holland - double bass, el. bass
Jack DeJohnette - drums

Awesome album.

Mat

Sr. Regulator
Staff member
Sr. Regulator
Regulator
Hi Mat. :tiphat:

The link to the music you listened to yesterday Jamal. Is it the first rap-jazz album? It sounds great.

My dear friend Intet:tiphat:,

Apparently, "Jamal" is reggae band, set up back in 1999, in Radom (familiar city, huh?;)). At the beggining there were two band leaders: Łukasz Borowiecki and Tomasz Mioduszewski. The duo began with rap music exclusively. But as time went by, Tomek and Łukasz got interested in reggae.

Now, few more words about Łukasz. First, he was educated in classical music school. Then he graduated from Warsaw Musical Academy (jazz faculty) and now he is a double bass student in Katowice (jazz faculty also). He is interested in heavy metal, rock, dixieland and folk music. He is a laureate of numerous jazz festivals. For example, Grand Prix on jazz festival in Usti, Czech Republic and first place in jazz standard competition in Siedlce, Poland.

Tomasz began his career by playing guitar in hardcore bands. He was also interested in singing thus he recorded few songs. After meeting Łukasz, he decided to set up a band.

I'm not into their music. The only song I know is Halo, Halo. And interesting is that this song is based on Autumn leaves "chord framework".

On topic:
Chick Corea & Bobby McFerrin

Last edited:

intet_at_tabe

My dear buddy Mat :tiphat:

Thank you so much for this introduction of the album and the two guys Lukasz and Tomasz - from Radom, it sounds very familiar Mat :clap::clap::clap::clap:

intet_at_tabe

On topic:

Herbie Hancock on his "A Jazz Collection" album, recorded by Columbia Jazz from 1977-1990, remastered for CD in 1991. It contains both "Someday My Prince Will Come" and "Round Midnight" and seven other songs.

The musicians:

Herbie Hancock/Chick Corea - piano, el. Grand piano
Wynton Marsalis/Freddie Hubbard - trumpet
Wayne Shorter - tenor and soprano saxophone
Ron Carter - double bass
Tony Williams - drums

There are two songs for duo piano, that´s why Chick Corea appears on this album as well on piano.

intet_at_tabe

Mr. Keith Jarrett, I did not forget about you, so please stop pushing!!

The double album for solo piano live in concerts "Bremen & Lusanne", by the ECM Records 1973. Bremen is a city i Germany and Lusanne a city in Schwitzerland.

The two concerts lasting in all 128 minutes from the fingers, the soul an the genius of Mr. Keith Jarrett.

Keith says in the liner notes about improvised live solo piano concerts:

"The meaning for me is the truth involved in this: one artist creating spontaneously something which is governed by the atmosphere, the audience, the place (both the room and the geographical location), the instrument; all these being channelled consciously through the artist so that everyone´s efforts are equally rewarded; although the success or failure belongs completely to the artist himself. The artist is responsible for every second.

In a group this is not true, nor should it be true. One is firstly responsible to the other players and so the cycle is not quite complete, not quite pure. Nobody knows exactly whose fault or responsibility, failure or success it is because of the nature of the group and the complexities involved. One does not have communion with the audience because one is having communion with the rest of the group. This will help explain the reason for this album", end of quote.

I bought this album in 1976 and I keep hearing new impressions of the music performed live, every time I listen to it. I do believe however, that the concert from Lusanne is the better concert, but in my untrained musical ears, who is really to know?

Last edited:

intet_at_tabe

Continueing on solo piano concerts by Mr. Keith Jarrett, before I have to leave for work on this not particular holy monday morning.

The album "La Scala", recorded live by the ECM Records 1995, released in 1997, when Keith Jarrett unfortunately had been attacked by an unknown to him virus, which made him very ill for two years, completely exhausted with no strengh to continue to make new compositions, nor concerts with the Standard Trio nor solo piano concerts.

This album has two major parts for 72 minutes, and then for the encore the favourite of all jazz songs to Keith Jarrett himself "Over The Rainbow".

See you guys later (...alligator) in the afternoon.

intet_at_tabe

BREAKING NEWS!!!!

My favourite jazz band from the middle of the 1970´s Return To Forever has been reunited again:

http://www.return2forever.com/index.cfm/pk/view/cd/NAA/cdid/401907/pid/400132

A guy at my new work came to me this morning shortly after, I entered my office, cheerful and almost ecstatic overjoyed: Have you heard it Lars, the RTF is together again and will come to Europe in the summer 2008?

I had not heard it. But now I am as ecstatic overjoyed, as he was this morning.

intet_at_tabe

So the jazz at lunch time is the album "Romantic Warrior", Columbia Jazz 1976, remastered for CD by Sony Music Entertainment 1999.

The musicians:

Chick Corea - piano, keyboards, synthesizers
Al Di Meola - guitars
Stanley Clarke - double bass and every imaginable el. bass in the world
Lenny White - drums, percussion

This monday morning, which did not begin that good for me after a sleepless night has suddenly completely changed with the news of the RTF reunion, and also funny the sun has blessed us at the same time, after what seemed to be a 30 minutes giant shower from the resovoirs of the heavens around 11:30 AM, leaving new rivers of water visible, where I live.

intet_at_tabe

"Setting Standards" by the Standards Trio.

Off Topic:

My dear friend Corno Dolce :tiphat:

The album you mentioned abowe and earlier on "Setting Standards", has now arrived to Denmark - that is it will be released in 60 days, according to well informed sources at GBC, which is a central for all foreign music in jazz/rock/blues/rap/R&B etc. etc. - from over the pond. This album containing 3 albums "Standards, Vol. 1" 1983 and "Standards, Vol. 2" 1985 and the third album "Changes" 1984, of course all of them by the ECM Records.

On topic:

So to celebrate the Standards Trio more than twentyfive years of jazz equillibrism performed and recorded by: Keith Jarrett - piano/Gary Peacock - double bass/Jack DeJohnette - drums, I´ll give you the very first album they recorded together "Standards, Vol. 1", which is a part of the "Setting Standards" 3 double CD album, that is as the Standard Trio by name.

The trio however, first appeared as a trio on Gary Peacock´s "Tales Of Another", ECM Records 1977. Earlier on both Jarrett and DeJohnette played with The Charles Lloyd Quartet in the late 1960´s, with two different double bass players Cecil McBee or Ron McClure on the two albums "Dream Weaver", Atlantic Records 1966 and the album "Love-In", Atlantic Records 1967.

On "Standards, Vol 1.", check out the number 2 song: "All The Things You Are" by Jerome Kern & Oscar Hammerstein, a song the trio has recorded on severel albums, like every other jazz musicians seem to have this song as a favourite, from Sonny Rollins and Joe Henderson to Oscar Peterson and Pat Metheny.

Like the German philosopher and poet, the author of the book "Also Sprach Zarathustra", Friedrich Nietzsche spoke it: Had there not been music, life would not have been worth living.

Last edited:

Mat

Sr. Regulator
Staff member
Sr. Regulator
Regulator
Jean-Luc Fillon playing jazz on the oboe and the english horn

Corno Dolce

Admiral Honkenwheezenpooferspieler
Dear Intet,

Oh yes indeed - I really dig "All The Things You Are".

Cheers,

CD :tiphat::tiphat::tiphat::tiphat:

intet_at_tabe

Dear Intet,

Oh yes indeed - I really dig "All The Things You Are".

Cheers,

Mein lieber freund Corno Dolce :tiphat:

Warum slafst du nicht?

Do you know the quote, I entered by F. Nietzsche (1844-1900), and have you read the poetic book "Also Sprach Zarathustra" written by Nietzsche from 1883 - 1891??

Corno Dolce

Admiral Honkenwheezenpooferspieler
Lieber Intet,

Warum schlafts ich nicht? Ich weiß nicht aber ich danken sie herzlich für seinen freundlichkeit.

Tschüß,

intet_at_tabe

Lieber Intet,

Warum schlafts ich nicht? Ich weiß nicht aber ich danken sie herzlich für seinen freundlichkeit.

Tschüß,

Off topic:

Lieber freund, Corno Dolce:tiphat:

Donner und Blitzen!! Ach so!! Kennen Sie: Durch, fur, gegen, ohne, wieder, um - Kannst du nicht dein akussativ, dann bist du wirchlich dumm. (That´s me).

Aus, bei, mit, nach, von, zu. (Dativ).......oder:

An, auf, hinter, in, neben, uber, unter, vor, twischen (die beiden akussativ und dativ).

I remember these from - die Deutsche - classes in public school, but my spelling is terrible.

Wie hast du so gut Deutsch gelernen?

Last edited:

intet_at_tabe

Jan Garbarek Group on the album "Wayfarer", recorded and released by the ECM Records 1983:

Jan Garbarek - tenor and soprano saxophone
Bill Frisell - guitars
Eberhard Weber - Weber el. upstanding bass
Michael DiPasqua - drums