What jazz have you been listening to today?

intet_at_tabe

Rear Admiral Appassionata (Ret.)
Swiss Jazz Radio

I know this one Mat :tiphat:

On topic:

Pat Metheny on the album "The Road To You", recorded Live in Europe in 1992, first released by Geffen Records 1993, re-released in 2006 by Metheny Group Productions.

I believe, reminding myself on the first encounter with Pat Metheny, what I initially fell for and truely respect him on, besides his incredible guitar playing, was ansd is the way he composes and builts up the music, very melodicly at times but always hard-drive having incredible musicians along to interact with. Like Pat´s personal and musical friend Lyle Mays, who he met at The Berklee School of Music, who has been along for the ride longer than anyone else.

The musicians:

PM - acoustic/ el. guitars, guitar synthesizer
Lyle Mays - piano, keyboards
Steve Rodby - double bass, el. basses
Paul Wertico - drums, percussion
Armando Marsal - timbales, congas and percussion
Pedro Aznar - vocals, acoustic guitar, steel drums and vibes

Corno Dolce

Admiral Honkenwheezenpooferspieler
Aloha Intet,

Yes, life isn't fair but we're all given a brain so when life gives us lemons we shall make lemonade.

Back on topic: *The Real McCoy* by McCoy Tyner.

Cheers,

CD :):):)

intet_at_tabe

Aloha Intet,

Yes, life isn't fair but we're all given a brain so when life gives us lemons we shall make lemonade.

Back on topic: *The Real McCoy* by McCoy Tyner.

Cheers,

CD :):):)

sir Corno Dolce :tiphat:

Excactly sir.

On topic:

This has been a day of triumph to Pat Metheny at least from this outpost, so let´s continue with the album "We Live Here", recorded at The Hill Factory, N.Y.C. 1994, by Metheny Group Productions, remastered by NoneSuch Records 2006.

Song number seven "Something To Remind You" is a typical composition from Pat, with the guitar in the center pendling up different paths searching and the guys backing, play along and keep it together for the climax.

The musicians:

Pat - guitars, guitar synthesizer
Lyle Mays - piano, keyboards
Steve Rodby - double bass. el. basses
Paul Wertico - drums
Daviv Blamirez - vocals
Mark Ledford - vocals, whistling, flugelhorn and trumpet
Luis Conte - percussion

intet_at_tabe

Enrico Pieranunzi Trio with special guest Kenny Wheeler on the album "As Never Before", released by C.A.M. Records 2008.

The musicians:

Enrico Pieranunzi - piano
Kenny Wheeler - trumpet
Marc Johnson - double bass
Joey Baron - drums

intet_at_tabe

My latest purchase brought to my domicil yesterday by the Danish postel service from Holland, Kenny Wheeler Quintet on the album "Just A Memory", recorded January 1976, rerelease by Just A Merory Records 1996.

The very first recording, I have been able to find with this incredible flugelhorn player Kenny Wheeler, born in Canada, who used to be a bank messenger before he moved to England, to try his luck in jazz. Except for Marty Morell the drummer in the band, who used to play the kit in one of the trios of Bill Evans back in the 1960´s, I don´t know the other musicians.

The musicians:

Kenny Wheeler - flugelhorn, trumpet
Art Ellefson - tenor saxophone
Gary Williamson - el. piano
Dave Young - double bass
Marty Morell - drums

The sound of the cymbals and the snare drum are terrible, could have been recorded in a huge container for trash, but that´s life too, when you search for any earlier albums by one particular musician, like Kenny Wheeler.

intet_at_tabe

John Scofield Sextet on the album "Uberjam", By Verve Records 2002.

John Scofield and Avi Bortnick - guitars, synthesizer guitar
Karl Denson - tenor and soprano saxophone, flute
John Medeski - keyboards
Jesse Murphy - el. bass
Adam Deitch - drums

Very different album from the super jazz guitarist John Scofield than we´re used to.

intet_at_tabe

The ikon in innovative jazz on top in the 20th Century: MILES DAVIS on his album "Kind Of Blue", recorded by CBS Records 1959, remastered for CD 1992.

I could offer a lecture on MILES lasting almost 24 hours, but even I will not do it while only achieving 2 listeners..... at the most.

So let´s just enjoy the album once again and again and again.

The musicians:

Miles Davis - trumpet
John Coltrane - tenor saxophone
Julian "Cannonball" Adderly - alto saxophone
Bill Evans/Wynton Kelly - piano
Paul Chambers - double bass
Jimmy Cobb - drums

I LOVE this album and keep returning to it - This is jazz.

intet_at_tabe

Moving straight to Sonny Rollins Quartet on "Newk´s Time", Blue Note Records 1957, re-released 2004 on CD.

The musicians:

Sonny Rollins - tenor saxophone
Wynton Kelly - piano
Doug Watkins - double bass
Philly Joe Jones - drums

From the latter part of the Swinging 1950´s.

intet_at_tabe

Colin Walcott, one of the very few American jazz musicians, who went to India to study Indian musical theory and composition methods and playing the instruments the tablas and the sitar with Ravi Shankar, the master of this strange string instrument. Ravi Shankar later to move to California to teach, and even later to father Norah Jones - jazz pianist and vocalist.

Colin Walcott, who passed away in the beginning of the 1990´s due to a traffic accident in Germany during a OREGON Tour in Europe, here on his solo album "Cloud Dance" from the ECM Records 1976.

The crew:

Colin Walcott - sitar, tablas, percussion
John Abercrombie - acoustic/el. guitars, el. mandolin
Dave Holland - double bass
Jack DeJohnette - drums

Colin Walcott was a member of that significant cross over music band: Oregon from the state of the same name, counting Ralph Towner, Glen Moore and Paul McCandless, who replaced Colin Walcott, first with Trilok Gurtu and later with Mark Walker (drums, percussion).

Last edited:

intet_at_tabe

Yet another Colin Walcott solo album "Grazing Dreams", by the ECM Records 1977.

The musicians:

Colin Walcott - tablas, sitar, percussion
Don Cherry - trumpet and piccolo trumpet
John Abercrombie - acoustic/el. guitars, el. mandolin
Palle Danielsson - double bass
Dom Um Romao - berimbau, percussion

intet_at_tabe

Sonny Rollins, with guest John Coltrane, on his double CD "Tenor Madness" and "Tenor Colossus", by the Blue Note Records 1956, remastered for CD 2003.

These two titles covering two different albums back in the day, when recorded. But my edition is the double CD.

The musicians:

Sonny Rollins and John Coltrane - tenor saxophone
Red Garland or Tommy Flanagan - piano
Paul Chambers or Doug Watkins - double bass
Philly Joe Jones or Max Roach - drums

You never go wrong with Sonny Rollins, the master of the tenor saxophone going on 35 years, post Coleman Hawkins and John Coletrane.