What jazz have you been listening to today?

Mat

Sr. Regulator
Staff member
Sr. Regulator
Regulator
Damn it. I keep missing all the good concerts in my country:/

OT:
Herbie Hancock - Possibilities

intet_at_tabe

Rear Admiral Appassionata (Ret.)
Hi Mat :tiphat:

Here is the album I ordered with Anna Maria Jopek from your link:

UPOJENIE :: ANNA MARIA JOPEK & FRIENDS WITH PAT METHENY

upojenie.jpg

UPOJENIE (WARNER MUSIC 2002)

The story behind this album:

"Anna Maria Jopek and Friends with Pat Metheny" was an unprecedented effort. One of the most important and at the same time most loved artists of modern music agreed to do the whole album with an unknown singer and her friends. Fourteen fabulous tracks became an instant classic selling more than 100,000 copies. This tribute to master composer, improviser, 15 time Grammy Award Winner included some of the most beautiful songs Anna and her producer-music partner-husband Marcin Kydryński have ever written. It also contains, as critics and fans alike say: "some of the finest playing by a contemporary guitar genius". = Pat Metheny.

Now I have the record label and year of release, so I´ll try the Holland connection for import, like I told my record dealer due to your suggestion some time ago - The Amsterdam Saxophone Quartet, and also the way I purchased two albums by the American producer Steve Rodby, who also have played the basses and cello with the Pat Metheny Group for more than 20 years.

COOL!:):) Thanks buddy!!

Mat

Sr. Regulator
Staff member
Sr. Regulator
Regulator
Now I have the record label and year of release, so I´ll try the Holland connection for import, like I told my record dealer due to your suggestion some time ago - The Amsterdam Saxophone Quartet, and also the way I purchased two albums by the American producer Steve Rodby, who also have played the basses and cello with the Pat Metheny Group for more than 20 years.

COOL!:):) Thanks buddy!!

Buenas noches, Intet:tiphat:

I'm glad you found the link useful. Let us know whether you like your new purchases or not.

OT:
John Coltrane - Giant Steps

J.C. - tenor saxophone
Tommy Flanagan - piano
Paul Chambers - bass
Art Taylor - drums

intet_at_tabe

Buenas noches, Intet:tiphat:

I'm glad you found the link useful. Let us know whether you like your new purchases or not.

To Mat from machinegun Intet,

Your wish - my command.

The two albums are very different from each other, but I like both of them very much.

The first thing I noticed having listened to the album "Secret" from 2005 first,

is the incredible voice of Ms. Anna Maria Jopek. Sometimes almost like Billie Holiday, Eliane Elias or Cassandra Wilson even the Danish jazz vocalist Cecilie Norby, very low almost hoarse voice, but yet clean voice in a transcentral half dreaming way, like she would be teasing with the notes for her own fun, but yet a thrill to listen to and she can certainly hit the roof in the high register as well. I have the distinct impression, that she simply loves singing and performing. Anna Maria does her own choir and background vocals as well.

All of the 11 songs on "Secret" are entitled in the english language, and she sings in a fluently english. First song "I Burn For You" and 8. song "A Thousand Years" composed by STING, but in totally different arrangements, very Bossa Nova like rhytm, with acoustic guitars and percussion. If she had asked Sergio Mendez & Brazil 66´ to back her, one could take her for Astrud Gilberto. The rest of the 9 songs are written and composed by Marcin Kydrynski and Anna Maria Jopek.

Unfortunately the size of the letters (the font) on the liner notes are way too small for me, even with my almost new spectacles only for reading. So for once, I can´t bring the names of the musicians. But listening to the 11 songs the instruments are - piano, keyboards with strings, acoustic/el. guitars, trumpet, flugelhorn, flute, double bass, drums, tabla and percussion.

The title song "Secret" makes you instantly happy, snapping your fingers automaticly to follow the rhytm.

Most surpricingly though are the very keen playing polish, unknown at the moment, musicians, who almost play understated leaving "the stage" free for Anna Maria Jopek´s incredible voice.

I can honestly say, I am freeaking happy with this new album by Anna Maria Jopek.

Last edited:

intet_at_tabe

Anna Maria Jopek on her album "ID", by AmjMusic 2008.

On this album three years post the album "Secret", Anna Maria has a lot of multi international well known musicians, as well as Polish musicians with her. This album has 11 songs in the Polish language and except "Soul Dealer" all entitled in the Polish language. Again her co-lyricist and co-composer is Marcin Kydrynski.

This album is much more of an ethnic/polish traditional/jazz inspirated music, at times like a busy market place in Krakow on a saturday morning.

Again the voice of Anna Maria Jopek is the most important instrument on the album. On song 8 "Soul Dealer" her voice has been entered three or four times on top of each other both the leading voice/vocalist, choir and echo of the choir. One might almost say, some of this could have been like the English vocalist Kate Bush.

The musicians:

Anna Maria Jopek - vocals, voice and additional keyboards
Marcin Kydrynski - acoustic guitar, guitar synthesizer
Oscar Castro Neves - acoustic guitar, vocals
Marek Napiorkowski - acoustic/el. guitars
Dhafer Youssef - oud, vocals
Pawel Bzim Zarecki - keyboards, loops, programming
Branford Marsalis - soprano saxophone
Tord Gustavsen/Leszek Mozdzer - piano
Christian McBride - double bass, fretless el. bass
Richard Bona - fodera bass, vocals, kalimba (I have no idea, what a "fodera bass" is? R. Bona played 5 string el. bass with Pat Metheny).
Manu Katche - drums
Mino Cinelu - percussion
The Sinfonia Orchestra - conductor Tomasz Radziwonowicz

This album, I have listened to 4 times including right now writing my review. It´s an album of much beauty, like stated earlier mostly because of the beautiful voice of Anna Maria Jopek, and like a travel through different times, cultures and musical styles. I wouldn´t be able to label it only as jazz, more so cross over music. Only, I don´t know - cross over - to what? Which always thrills me.

So Mat, Mr. Flashoholic aka the extraordinaire Master Bisquit - Ya tell Anna Maria Jopek - Keep ém coming, she´s got a Danish Viking too, for a fan.

PS! sir Mat, I am leaving tomorrow for London, England, remember I told you some months ago about the trip with Natasha we had to cancel, but not any more. She, my new wife, is back in Denmark, came to celebrate Claus on September 10. I´ll be back again on friday.

Last edited:

Mat

Sr. Regulator
Staff member
Sr. Regulator
Regulator
I am speechless... You are a gifted reviewer:tiphat:. I will just say that if I were to write a review like this - I would be done in four, maybe five sentences:lol:

Have a good trip.

OT:
Michel Camilo - Triangulo

Last edited:

sunwaiter

hi there!

i don't know what a fodera bass is, but Richard Bona ( who used to rehearse near my native home in parisian suburb at a time ) learned playing "bass" by building his own instruments out of anything, the african way! we light have to ask him what a fodera bass is next time we cross paths.

sunwaiter

this morning i got up thanks to Brian Eno and his early 80's video paintings,which of course are accompanied by his own music.

otherwise, to get back to what we call "jazz": grant green - motherless child

intet_at_tabe

Sir sunwaiter and everybody else at the MIMF – I am sure, if sir Corno Dolce, born in Sweden, is in the right mood, he can supply with more Scandinavian musicians. But these are some of my favourite musicians.

Search on the German label www.ecm.records or the name itself:

From Norway:

Jan Garbarek – tenor, bass, soprano and sopranino saxophones, flute, samplers, keyboards

Jon Christensen – drums, percussion

Terje Rypdal – el. guitar, guitar synthesizer, flute, keyboards

Arild Andersen – double bass, cello

Eivind Aarset – acoustic/el. guitars

Bobo Stenson – piano

Ketil Bjørnstad – piano

Bendik Hofseth - vocals and saxophones

Per Hillestad – drums

Bjørn Kjellemyr – double bass, el. bass

Audrun Kleive – drums, percussion

From Sweden:

Palle Danielsson – double bass

Janne Schaffer - acoustic/el. guitars

Liza Freeman - vocals

Anders Jormin – double bass

Ulf Wakenius – acoustic and el. guitars

Anders Kjellberg – drums

Eje Thelin – trombone

Lisa Nilson - vocals

From Finland:

Edward Vesela – drums

Jokka Tolonen – acoustic/el. guitars, vocals

From Denmark:

Niels Lan Doky – piano, keyboards (he lives in France, but like his brother below half Danish/Vietnamese)

Chris Minh Doky – double bass, el. bass

Sinne Eeg – vocals

Palle Mikkelborg – trumpet, flugelhorn, keyboards, conductor

Jens Winther – trumpet, flugelhorn

Mads Tolling – cello

Bo Stief – double bass, el. bass

Alex Riel – drums (the very best drummer of all in Denmark with severel international awards)

Svend Asmussen – violin, el. 5 string violin

Lars Danielsson – double bass, el. bass, cello and keyboards

Mads Winding – double bass, el. bass

Bjarne Roupe´ - acoustic/el. guitars

Ethan Weisgaard – percussion

Ole Thilo – tenor and soprano saxophone

Uffe Steen – acoustic/el. guitars

Steen Pasborg – drums

Morten Lund – drums

Jonas Johansen – drums (the leader of The Danish Radio Big Band)

The Danish Radio Big Band

Anders “Chico” Lindvall – acoustic/el. guitars

Mehmet Ozan – acoustic guitar, oud, percussion

Ole Kock Hansen – piano, keyboards, conductor

Marilyn Mazur – drums, percussion

Trine-Lise Væring – vocals, keyboards

Søs Fenger – vocals

Niels Medin – Hammond B3 organ, piano, synthesizers

Thomas Ovesen – double bass

Nicolaj Bentzon - piano

Niels Landgren – trombone

PS! Should keep you gentle jazz freaks busy, until I am back from Swinging London (I hope, especially for the swinging part)

Last edited:

sunwaiter

as i quoted fro an imaginary sequence from die hard four in the "latest movie you've seen section, i can only say WOW looking at your list. thank you intet-at-tabe!

i

intet_at_tabe

I am speechless... You are a gifted reviewer:tiphat:. I will just say that if I were to write a review like this - I would be done in four, maybe five sentences:lol:

Have a good trip.

OT:
Michel Camilo - Triangulo

Thank you my dear inspirator, multi instrumentalist and friend Mat ;)

sir sunwaiter :)

I promised you this list, should have been already the other day, but I did not manage. This time I wrote it first in word, and then copy and pasted it. Even Vikings can act smart on occasion :rolleyes::rolleyes::grin::grin:.

So it´s been done. Take care guys, and don´t do anything I wouldn´t do - which I know, ya all proberbly will. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

sunwaiter

thank you again intet-at-tabe.

there is just one name that startled me in your scandinavian list, and that's the last one you've included: Niels landgren. each of his records i've tried to lend a generous hear to gave me the strange feeling me and Niels did not have the same idea about music. well, i know it's always the same story, nothing is more subjective than music, and we hardly can get along on a vast majority of points, but, hey, the thing he did with with Joe Sample... i surely missed something about what is fun or beautiful in music. anyway one day if i don't forget i will have another listen. and what about what Niels calls "funk". I love early Maceo albums he did as a leader ( the 70's kingsmen of course ). But i hardly understand where he wants to take us since the early 90's, with the "shake everything you got" way of playing. to me it sounds so clean, so unsurprising, and so téléphoné as we say here, that i wonder if he really enjoys playing this. Same remark about Fred, Pee-Wee... generally i don't like criticizing people who DO things i DON'T do, but i couldn't help this time. Soooooooo, to get to my point, when Niels and Maceo do something together, me get bored. To counterbalance i would say his initiative of covering ABBA was a nive move ( patriotic? i'm not sure where they both come from ), but that's all as far as i'm concerned.

now let's go back to the top of your list, as James would have said, just to stress that Jan Garbarek, in fame and in talent, deserves all the praising you can afford. this man is an example of what patience can do for a music listener; in the same way the label ECM looked like a cooooold greyyyyy musical experiment lab, warning people of its "contemporary" tendencies through super-sad or simply monochromatic LP sleeves, Jan Garbarek seemd to be unreachable to me, for a long time. Actually i'm only beginning to really hear his music, and he recorded a lot, as you already know. I discovered him thanks to Egberto Gismonti ( "sol do meyo dia", if i remember well ), and i have to listen to the albums my brother bought at a certain time because maybe it was trendy to buy ECM albums.

This leads me to John Abercrombie and Billy Cobham, and Manu Dibango, and Jan Hammer and Jeff Beck, and Eric Clapton, and Jimmy Page. from one guitarist to another, there can be some twisted path, but to me it sounds logical! anyone wants to react?

wow i've been writing quite a bit, sorry.