What jazz have you been listening to today?

Mat

Sr. Regulator
Staff member
Sr. Regulator
Regulator
Hi Sunwaiter,

I have heard something about Podolski. I don't know whether he still plays in Germany team or not, I just don't care. I dislike soccer (or as it is called in my country - football). But I am sure you can find some info about him on the net;)

On Topic:

I didn't listen to any music today, not even Jazz. I know it's strange and completely unlike me but I had a very busy day.

sunwaiter

i don't know why, but i kinda felt that fex people would be interested in football/soccer/fussball/futbol any way you call it. i simply love football ( not what professionnal football implies today ), but the Podolski example was just a pretext to state the ABSURDITY of frontiers and nations. ain't that some sort of olympic naiveness? :) i try to be as much sincere as i can on this point, because people are taken for fools too often about nationality, administrative prooves of identity. and i always try not to get confused between culture and papers.

back on topic: strangely i don't have much time to listen to music either, except on my train. so this morning i had my earphones on:

wu tang clan - several tracks from the first album "36 chambers"

focus - anonymous

ennio morricone - track from the "intouchables" ost

not much jazz. but once again, i don't see why there should be any frontier, particularly in music.

have a good day! :)

Jazz_Keys

"Better Days Ahead", The Pat Metheny group "Live". This song, with a Brazilian flavor to it, has such a great melody and chord changes, and the form is 23 measures instead of the usual 24! I'm learning it right now to perform with my trio and also to post on YouTube. The "Live" version includes a great piano solo by Lyle Mays that is not on the studio version.

intet_at_tabe

Rear Admiral Appassionata (Ret.)
John Coltrane on his 1965 very innovative album "Ascension", recorded by The Van Gelder Studios, Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey, USA.

The album has but one song "Ascension", but performed in two not that different versions. The first is the seond "Edition 2": 40:23 minutes and the second is the "Edition 1" 38:31.

The interesting thing however, about this more than fourty years old album are the musicians:

John Coltrane - tenor saxophone
Freddie Hubbard and Dewey Johnson - trumpets
Marion Brown and John Tchicai - alto saxophones
Pharaoh Sanders and Archie Shepp - tenor saxophones
McCoy Tyner - piano
Art Davis or Jimmy Garrison - double bass
Elvin Jones - drums

Listening to it the first time it seems that each of the musicians change soloing all the time, which is wrong.

sunwaiter

hey intet-at-tabe! long time no see!

is this Trane album as mystical as one of the sidemen's name indicates? though John Himself had the spiritual profile to keep a thousand people busy for two or three lifespans, Pharaoh Sanders was also a hell of a man to see and hear. i wish i was there at the time...

pat martino - send in the clowns