I am theMusicMan and I come from down your way...

theMusicMan

What can I play...? hehe (for those who know the song will appreciate my very dry British humour)

So, hello everyone. I am John (aka theMusicMan) and I am a newly appointed Moderator of the New Age, Ambient and World Music forum here at MIMF - and delighted to be too!

I have a long history in music, having started to learn brass in school at the age of 11. I continued learning and playing for several years, until adolescence took over and when I thought I knew everyting there was to know:) I was significantly influenced at the time by the likes of the fantastic Progressive Rock genre of Genesis, Yes, Floyd, Marillion etc.. and very much still am to this day. Often I play music that has traits of what I heard during my impressionable years - strange time sigs in 7/16, 5.8 etc and wonderful sounding dischords etc...

I was also very much into at the time what my friends may have called 'synth' or 'weird' music such as that played by the likes of Tomita, Jarre, Oldfield and that German band I can never remember the name of!! I had loads of synthesiser and electronic sample music from the BBC's archives - very sad really for a lad of 14. When i was 13, I said to my late Mother that... "I will have a synth one day Mum..!"

I commenced playing brass again at the age of 20 and have not stopped really (41 now). I now more often weild the baton, and have had moderate success with Brass Bands here in the UK. I play up to around grade 8 and have taught and mentored often, though this is not my profession.

It is only in recent years - and I am not too sure what the trigger was actually - that I realised what an absolutely profound effect my impressionable years really did have on my musical loves of today. I lost my Mother a few years ago, and with some money she left me I felt it would be a nice gesture for me to purchase the one thing I had always said to her that I would purchase one day, and something I KNOW she would have loved to see me with... a Synthesiser. So, without much of a delay, I decided I would purchase myself a Korg Karma and started teaching myself all about the keys, synthesis and how to get the best out of it.

I am now heavily influenced by all types of music, but especially Ambient and New Age sounds. To me, music is played from the heart, but 'appears' in the mind of the listener. With Ambient music, personally, I can go wherever I want to go, I can shut my eyes and see anything I want to see, and I can hear anything I want to hear... ahhh... magic eh!

I love all types of music (especially Organ), and am happy to chat with anyone and am always willing to listen and learn. I hope to meet many of you here and to get to know some of you a little better in the coming months. I am grateful to Frederik for inviting me to the position of Moderator and I hope I can contribute to the successful growth and development of MIMF.

(I hope Frederik won't mind my mentioning that I also run a successful Brass Discussion Forum called theMouthPiece.com - too late really eh...)

Finally... I am married to Jen, and have two wonderful kids Lloyd (13) and Heather (7) and live in wonderful Wales.

See ya around folks...:)

corno

Vice Admiral of Notes, Dots & at times also Slurs
Sr. Regulator
Hi John,

Nice to read a little about you.
smile.gif

Brass players are always a welcome addition here on MIMF.
smile.gif

Seeya,
Thomas

Nalia

Commodore of History & Muses
Welcome to MIMF
smile.gif

You are already a Moderator and officer so the “hope you will be an active member..” I’ll skip this time
grin.gif

Nalia
angel.gif

Frederik Magle

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Regulator
Welcome John!

I'm very happy that you have joined our forum and accepted to become regulator of the "Electronica/Ambient etc." forum. I'm looking forward to a great cooperation!!
smile.gif

All the best!
cheers444.gif

Priest

Commodore of Impending Doom II
welcome aboard btw..

Question: you mention german band, that you never can remember name of, but their music is weird... could it be Einstürtzende Neubaugeren ? (not quite sure if spelling is correct)