• Welcome to the Pipe Organ Forum! This is a part of the open community Magle International Music Forums focused on pipe organs (also known as "church organs"), organists, organ music and related topics.

This forum is intended to be a friendly place where technically advanced organists and beginners (or even non-organists) can feel comfortable having discussions and asking questions. We learn by reading and asking questions, and it is hoped that the beginners (or non-organists) will feel free to ask even the simplest questions, and that the more advanced organists will patiently answer these questions. On the other hand, we encourage complex, technical discussions of technique, music, organ-building, etc. The opinions and observations of a diverse group of people from around the world should prove to be interesting and stimulating to all of us.

As pipe organ discussions can sometimes become lively, it should be pointed out that this is an open forum. Statements made here are the opinion of the poster, and not necessarily that of the forum itself, its administrator, or its moderators.

In order to post a new topic - or reply to existing ones - you may join and become a member by clicking on Register New User. It's completely free and only requires a working email address (in order to confirm your registration - it will never be given away!). We strive to make this a friendly and informative forum for anyone interested in pipe organs and organ music.

(Note: If you wish to link to and promote your own website please read this thread first.)

Many kind regards
    smile.gif

Frederik Magle
    Administrator

Krummhorn
    Co-Administrator

Pipe Organ Players

amont1

Hello. I play a small gulbransen organ. I would like to know how it feels to play a pipe organ, or listen to one.

If anyone knows, where would I find a pipe organ near Sacramento California.

Cheers,
Alan

Muza

I live somewhat in the area, and yet I dont really know. Have you tried googling it? That usually helps a lot :)

musicalis

Hi !
1) I am sorry, I do not know what is a small "gulbransen organ".

2) have you tried to play with a great virtual organ? It is very pleasant and it may help you until you find a real organ in your district.

Friendly

:) j-Paul :)

jvhldb

I have a small transistor organ, YUK! Once you've played a real organ you will never wan't to go back.

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Hi !
1) I am sorry, I do not know what is a small "gulbransen organ".

Jean-Paul,

These are small home instruments - usually had two 44 note keyboards and a 12 note broomstick pedalboard. Everything was contained (speakers, amplifiers and tone generation system) within the small console. Gulbransen, Lowry, Thomas, Wurlitzer, Baldwin and many others made these by the thousands. Most of those have either gone by the wayside or have now entered the digital tone reproduction era.

Here's a generalized picture representative of these home organs:

musicalis

Thanks Krummnorn and Amont1.

I understand very well. I owned a spinet organ (Hammond L122) like this too when I was 18 years old.

:) J-P :)

amont1

qphubyys0k000jtgxheplolfjff.jpg

This is my organ. As you can see, it is not a spinet.

NEB

Suggestion - go look around churches in the area - usually find pipe organs there. They might let you play/practice????/ worth a try - jump in the car and go look - all I can suggest.

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Amonti,

Fair Oaks Presbyterian Church that has a rather large pipe organ that is, afaik, used regularly. If you want to hear one, this could be one of the finer ones in that regional area. If memory serves correctly, Fair Oaks is a suburb of Sacramento.

NEB

There must be rather more though. I would guess every cathedral would have a pipe organ of some merit surely? and every city would have a couple of cathedral-type churches?

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
By "Cathedral" you are possibly meaning the Diocese Church of the area? Our Diocesan "Cathedral" is a rather large edifice and it does have a pipe organ, and that's about all that can be said about it. The last time I played it, the organ (25 odd ranks) was in need of lots of TLC as there were dead notes, non working stops, not to mention that the organ chamber (in the chancel area) was high up on the wall (no pipes showing whatsoever) trying to speak out of an enclosure opening about 6 feet square ... a typical "service instrument" installation with no thought to the organ ever being used for anything more than playing hymns and liturgies. The acoustics are what saves this organ - marble floors, no carpeting anywhere, high ceiling, very long nave ... about 3 to 4 seconds natural reverberation. Alas, the organ isn't used all that often - they primarily use Mariachi's and other ear piercing noise makers.

When I was vacationing in Sacramento a few months ago, I was looking specifically for a couple good pipe organs to see ... alas, found only the one (Presbyterian above) and a Lutheran church who's pipe organ was recently torn down and replaced with an electronic while being refurbished. The local "cathedral" there does have an organ, but it is not known whether it is pipe or electronic. Even at that, the Presbyterian church was doing contemporary rock (happy clappy) services the weekend that I so dearly wanted to hear the pipe organ played ... pitty ... real pitty that these great organs are being cast aside so that we can have the hairs on our heads parted in the middle and experience loss of hearing by age 40 with over amplified distorted noise.

NEB

You tell a very sad tale there my friend. The mad rush to 'modernism' tends to exile/destroy so much in a largely indiscriminate way.

No care or attention is spent on weighing up the individual merits prior to destruction, and that which is destroyed can rearely be recreated, an effect which sadly is only ever realised in hindsight.

Serassi1836

When you play a pipe organ, you are play the king of instruments. You know that you have in your hands (and in your feet) a very potent instrument. You can add the Mixture and you can shake the church. You think your power is enormous.

Corno Dolce

Admiral Honkenwheezenpooferspieler
An organist can, provided a suitable instrument, make music like that of a 100 instrument orchestra. Its hard to beat such a combination.

FOWL

I have a friend who is the musical director of a church. Last time I went to visit him he let me play with his organ!!!:eek:
It was awesome, amongst some random improvisation, the set included Life is Sushi, the Scary, and Accept Martial Law With a Smile. What a feeling it is to get to play an instrument that has a building built to be it's resonating body! An experience I HIGHLY recommend!!!

methodistgirl

By "Cathedral" you are possibly meaning the Diocese Church of the area? Our Diocesan "Cathedral" is a rather large edifice and it does have a pipe organ, and that's about all that can be said about it. The last time I played it, the organ (25 odd ranks) was in need of lots of TLC as there were dead notes, non working stops, not to mention that the organ chamber (in the chancel area) was high up on the wall (no pipes showing whatsoever) trying to speak out of an enclosure opening about 6 feet square ... a typical "service instrument" installation with no thought to the organ ever being used for anything more than playing hymns and liturgies. The acoustics are what saves this organ - marble floors, no carpeting anywhere, high ceiling, very long nave ... about 3 to 4 seconds natural reverberation. Alas, the organ isn't used all that often - they primarily use Mariachi's and other ear piercing noise makers.

When I was vacationing in Sacramento a few months ago, I was looking specifically for a couple good pipe organs to see ... alas, found only the one (Presbyterian above) and a Lutheran church who's pipe organ was recently torn down and replaced with an electronic while being refurbished. The local "cathedral" there does have an organ, but it is not known whether it is pipe or electronic. Even at that, the Presbyterian church was doing contemporary rock (happy clappy) services the weekend that I so dearly wanted to hear the pipe organ played ... pitty ... real pitty that these great organs are being cast aside so that we can have the hairs on our heads parted in the middle and experience loss of hearing by age 40 with over amplified distorted noise.

During the first service the organist will play along with the rock band
type musicians. It sounds great!
judy tooley

JONESEY

I guess it's all down to what you want to hear. I just associate Church services with pipe organs.

I played for a morning service recently instead of my normal evensong - I was offered the piano to play but still played the organ.
There were 3 traditional hymns and one more modern one - funnily enough even in the more family oriented service, the traditional hymns were sung well and the modern hymn was less well known.

Is it just me, or do the old hymns just sound so much nicer?

Corno Dolce

Admiral Honkenwheezenpooferspieler
Oh yes,

The old hymns are writen for singers - the new HappyClappy hymns are for egomaniacal "soloists" who crave to dominate a microphone to showcase their "talent" or lack thereof. When will these "singers" ever learn how to sing without a microphone??? To truly sing requires hard-work and sacrifice in developing a vocal instrument with which you can modulate dynamics, inflection, color, intensity, and rhythm. If you can't do these without a microphone you're only a dilettante and a poser.

The singing of hymns is a communal affair. When there is four-part vocal harmony in hymns, the original intention was that everybody was to be included, not just everybody singing the Soprano line. When the Church "bothered" to teach all its parishioners how to sing in parts it made the worhip more communal and inclusive. Today we have insipid melody and text lines like "Shine, Jesus Shine" - "Blaze, Spirit Blaze" - Who are we to command what Jesus and the Holy Spirit should do?