Recomendations

Drew001001

Hey there Folks!

I need your help guys!. Ive been listening to classical music now for years my father go me hooked early with O fortuna from the old spice ad:D since then ive expanded my tastes but not as much as id like.

My real passion is in haunting choir music like mozarts great mass or my absoloute favorite his Requiem. Im looking for more of this kind of music please help im drowning in a sea of great taste:D

thanks again

D

Last edited:

Drew001001

thanks

thank you vey much for the post still a little lost as to where to start:confused: is there any site that does preview snippets of his works?

thanks again

Gringoire

Hey there Folks!

I need your help guys!. Ive been listening to classical music now for years my father go me hooked early with O fortuna from the old spice ad:D since then ive expanded my tastes but not as much as id like.

My real passion is in haunting choir music like mozarts great mass or my absoloute favorite his Requiem. Im looking for more of this kind of music please help im drowning in a sea of great taste:D

thanks again

D

Have you heard Berlioz\'s \"Requiem\"?

Drew001001

thanks for the posts guys listened to both now and yes they realy do compare to mozarts great mass well.

What im really looking for is some very haunting deep music the darker the better preferably choir based but not exclusively. Sorry to be a nuisance:(!

cheers for any help

Fretless

Shostakovich Symphony No. 13--"Babi Yar" is pretty dark with men's choir.
Verdi's Requiem also has it's moments, as does his Four Sacred Songs (Quatro Pezzi Sacri).
Another favorite choir-based work of mine is Bruckner's Te Deum and Mass in D Minor.
You also can't beat Penderecki for darkness--his St. Luke Passion is right up there, but it's certainly not in the vein of Mozart.

Corno Dolce

Admiral Honkenwheezenpooferspieler
Hi Drew,

You want deep, dark, haunting music that also makes use of a choir? Then you must look into "The Execution Of Stepan(Stenka)Razin" by Dmitri Shostakovich". It probably doesn't get more dark and foreboding than this work. It makes thrilling use of a bass vocalist. The "canvas" of the work is so filled with drama you'd think it was a film score. Here is a good description of Stenka Razin and his place in the annals of Russian History:

http://www.cindyvallar.com/razin.html

After hearing(live and on CD) Shostakovich's 15 Symphonies, 15 String Quartets, Preludes & Fugues for Piano and many other works, I see him as a 20th century Beethoven. His music is very profound and will not leave you untouched.

Cheers,

Corno Dolce :):):)

Fretless

Then you must look into "The Execution Of Stepan(Stenka)Razin" by Dmitri Shostakovich".

Corno,
Do you have a preferred recording of this? I'm going to Wishlist it on Amazon since my library doesn't have it, and there are a few to choose from.

I'm still amazed that through the years and my love for Shostakovich that I wasn't even aware of this piece.