• Welcome to the Pipe Organ Forum! This is a part of the open community Magle International Music Forums focused on pipe organs (also known as "church organs"), organists, organ music and related topics.

This forum is intended to be a friendly place where technically advanced organists and beginners (or even non-organists) can feel comfortable having discussions and asking questions. We learn by reading and asking questions, and it is hoped that the beginners (or non-organists) will feel free to ask even the simplest questions, and that the more advanced organists will patiently answer these questions. On the other hand, we encourage complex, technical discussions of technique, music, organ-building, etc. The opinions and observations of a diverse group of people from around the world should prove to be interesting and stimulating to all of us.

As pipe organ discussions can sometimes become lively, it should be pointed out that this is an open forum. Statements made here are the opinion of the poster, and not necessarily that of the forum itself, its administrator, or its moderators.

In order to post a new topic - or reply to existing ones - you may join and become a member by clicking on Register New User. It's completely free and only requires a working email address (in order to confirm your registration - it will never be given away!). We strive to make this a friendly and informative forum for anyone interested in pipe organs and organ music.

(Note: If you wish to link to and promote your own website please read this thread first.)

Many kind regards
    smile.gif

Frederik Magle
    Administrator

Krummhorn
    Co-Administrator

Organ Stop Emulation for Multitimbral Synthesizers

chromaticism

Hello. I'd like to ask for some ideas on how to emulate standard organ stops using a synth. I have a Korg X5 and I'd like to toy with it for a while in this regard. What's amazing about it is that the combi mode could be likened to an organ registration (maximum of 8 programs at the same time). If I could just figure out how to emulate really convincing stops, that would be wonderful for practice as I don't have any access to a pipe organ. Any ideas?

musicalis

Hi

1) Go to the encyclopedia of organ pipes.
Find a pipe with a MP3 demo
Download the demo (it may be a single sound or an arpegio)
2) Or, take a wwave file in your Hauptwerk / myOrgan sample set.

Open the mp3 with Audacity or SoundForge
Look and study the wave. You may notice 3 or more parts:
- the attack ( very short)
- the loop (main period of the wave)
- the ending (with or without reverb)
Analyse each part and try to make the same with your synth.
- Attack is the Attack (and sometime Attack + decay) or your ADSR envelopp generator. Attack has an increasing shape. the frequency may be sligthly detuned and may contains harmonics louder than the fundamental sound. Apply also some Attack to the VCF filter. Noise may be important.
- loop period: This is the Sustain of your ADSR. The wave form is rarely the same along all the duration, because of small modulations in the wind.
- ending is the Release phase of the wave. Usually, there is nothing special, the signal only vanish. But you can also have a small noise wher the air pressure suddenly ends in the pipe.
Add very small LFO level at very slow speed to give some life to your pipe sound.

I hope this may help you.

chromaticism

Hi

1) Go to the encyclopedia of organ pipes.
Find a pipe with a MP3 demo
Download the demo (it may be a single sound or an arpegio)
2) Or, take a wwave file in your Hauptwerk / myOrgan sample set.

Open the mp3 with Audacity or SoundForge
Look and study the wave. You may notice 3 or more parts:
- the attack ( very short)
- the loop (main period of the wave)
- the ending (with or without reverb)
Analyse each part and try to make the same with your synth.
- Attack is the Attack (and sometime Attack + decay) or your ADSR envelopp generator. Attack has an increasing shape. the frequency may be sligthly detuned and may contains harmonics louder than the fundamental sound. Apply also some Attack to the VCF filter. Noise may be important.
- loop period: This is the Sustain of your ADSR. The wave form is rarely the same along all the duration, because of small modulations in the wind.
- ending is the Release phase of the wave. Usually, there is nothing special, the signal only vanish. But you can also have a small noise wher the air pressure suddenly ends in the pipe.
Add very small LFO level at very slow speed to give some life to your pipe sound.

I hope this may help you.

Hello. I think I'm going to try just that. You've given me really great help. Thanks. :)

musicalis

Hi !

Some more informations :
for Bourdon, gedackt, use a sine waveform.
for gamba, montre, use triangular waveform
for reeds, use sawtooth wave form.
For cromhorn, use VCF band pass filter with resonance ( and with cutoff frequency following the keyboard)
You can use 1 or more oscillators to make a pipe sound, but if several oscillators, they must be synchronized.
Good Luck

spotty

I also use a noice occillator to add a 'chiff' at the start of the note followed by some low level wind noise on the note.