Facebook - well?

marval

I must admit I haven't tried it either, but im sure someone will know about it.

Margaret

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
The only negative thing I've ever heard about facebook is that is once was accused of "Data Mining" where info is sold to 3rd parties. Interesting article in Wikipedia about Facebook that makes for some good insights.

Muza

Facebook is ok - I am a member there. It is a nice networking tool - makes it easy to find old friends and make new ones - thats the only reason I joined it. Rather, it used to be a great networking tool and now its slowly turning into Myspace. More and more features are added which are fun and cool, but totally pointless and take a lot of time - so basically, its slowly turning into an entertainment place rather than a networking place. But other than that, its ok ;)

Hope this helped!

Contratrombone64

Admiral of Fugues
Muza - I just found a friend I've not seen for 35 years ... not to mentioned vast amounts of my direct family (cousins, et cetera). So it's been totally worth it.

Muza

Yeah, like I said - its pretty cool to find people and stay in touch, but be carefull not to get addicted ;). When I signed up, I spent all my time there, lols, but I guess its like that with everything ;)

Contratrombone64

Admiral of Fugues
yes - it is VERY addictive, especially when your friends are so witty and charming (like mine), not to mention bitchy and sarcastic.

Muza

Forums are great, but if you want to reconnect with old friends, keep in touch with people that are far, things like that - forums are not really a place

C5Says

Forums are great, but if you want to reconnect with old friends, keep in touch with people that are far, things like that - forums are not really a place

Forums are great for specific niches, just like this one. I have another about search engine optimization.

I have friendster but rarely update it or even log into it.
I have yahoo 360degrees, still, rarely log into it.
One community about poetry, which is where I posted all my poems prior to those I've written at http://365-days-of-poem-blogging.blogspot.com and yet I rarely update now.
I also have Yuwie, WAYN, Tagged, and a lot more others which I don't frequent. There's also Multiply and Facemeet. They just pop into my head right now. I'm sure there are others I just don't recall. :D I think I signed up with myspace too but never explored. lol

I have several blogs, 3 quarters are not updated but they will be. I intended to create them early and update later for the purpose of monetizing later. With bills 3x faster than income, I need every opportunity to earn.

But I need to enjoy too that's why I'm here. ;)

If you want to connect and find long lost friends, try the yahoo messenger and ICQ.

janny108

Yeah I can see your point. I don't think I'm going to run into people I know there.
Jan

janny108

Forums are great for specific niches, just like this one. I have another about search engine optimization.

I have friendster but rarely update it or even log into it.
I have yahoo 360degrees, still, rarely log into it.
One community about poetry, which is where I posted all my poems prior to those I've written at http://365-days-of-poem-blogging.blogspot.com and yet I rarely update now.
I also have Yuwie, WAYN, Tagged, and a lot more others which I don't frequent. There's also Multiply and Facemeet. They just pop into my head right now. I'm sure there are others I just don't recall. :D I think I signed up with myspace too but never explored. lol

I have several blogs, 3 quarters are not updated but they will be. I intended to create them early and update later for the purpose of monetizing later. With bills 3x faster than income, I need every opportunity to earn.

But I need to enjoy too that's why I'm here. ;)

If you want to connect and find long lost friends, try the yahoo messenger and ICQ.

I can remember years ago before the internet really got big, it was hard to find people talk about things I was interested in, like this is a specific kind of forum, and others I go to are specific too, esp with life situations I can identify and help with and vice versa.:)

Jan

C5Says

I can remember years ago before the internet really got big, it was hard to find people talk about things I was interested in, like this is a specific kind of forum, and others I go to are specific too, esp with life situations I can identify and help with and vice versa.:)

Jan

And when was that? I started in 1994 and there are a LOT of newsgroups of specific niches. They are just tooooo many. They are newsgroups so they come with the mail. That is before yahoogroups ever existed. At that time it was also ICQ that ruled the chatworld.

marval

There are many sites for finding people, I have been in contact with old school friends on Friends Reunited.

I have been trying to find a couple of people, not seen for a very long time. I posted details on quite a few sites and someone sent me details od people with the same surname. I found one of them, but unfortunately the other person I am desperate to have news of seems to have disappeared. Mind you have not tried Facebook.

Margaret

Muza

Hmm, there is a great deal of places like Facebook that could be helpful, but all of them are kind of specific to something. For instance, Myspace - more for younger people, Orkut - not sure, but all of my Indian friends are on it, Facebook - started out as a student thing, LinkedIn - professional network.

It would really depend on where to look for people depending on their location (United States or overseas) and age. But Facebook could definitely be a good way to go. Or if your friend is professionally oriented, perhaps LinkedIn - its a new fad these days ;)

janny108

And when was that? I started in 1994 and there are a LOT of newsgroups of specific niches. They are just tooooo many. They are newsgroups so they come with the mail. That is before yahoogroups ever existed. At that time it was also ICQ that ruled the chatworld.

Before I had access to a computer. ;) LOL I did get one until 1997.
Jan