Earphones

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Hi Mat,

Those look like a nice set ... great response range, too. Guess it depends on individual use - like if playing mostly from an iPod instead of in ones living room with a home AV setup.

Since I don't own an iPod or necessarily want one, I do all my listening either in the car or at home, where I personally prefer the full size headphone. I have had my Koss Headphones for many years (Pro4 series) and absolutely love their extended range [10Hz - 25kHz] which is nice for organ music. The Pro3A offers a 15Hz - 20kHz range and a little lower price.

Disclaimer: I do not work for Koss nor am I trying to promote Koss products for sale. It's the headphone system that was recommended to me about 40 years ago, I liked it then and still do today, so I'm just a very satisfied customer.

Mat

Sr. Regulator
Staff member
Sr. Regulator
Regulator
Hi Krummhorn,

Wow, the range is really spectacular:). I don't really know what all these numbers are exactly about (you know - range, impendance, sensivity, etc.) and I wish I knew how to interpret them. That's why I began this thread. Anyway, I'm looking for something smaller than what you showed me. I'm gonna use earphones only with my MP3 player (Creative Zen for now, but maybe will be replaced with something better:grin:; I also know that quality of the player I use influences the sound) when travelling from point A to point B (and maybe even to point C:D). And I quite care about the sound quality. Any suggestions?

Thanks KH for your response:)

Cheers,
Mat

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
You're welcome Mat :tiphat:

Here's a tech site that best explains in everyday jargon how to interpret headphone data.
Frequency range is easiest to explain ... The human ear can hear sounds in the range from 20Hz to 20kHz. For example, a 32' organ pipe playing low C is 16 cycles per second, or 16Hz, and as such is almost inaudible, but we do feel the vibrations and our ears hear the upper harmonics of this note and thus some people are able to recognize the pitch. The lower a headphones frequency response, the better BASS the listener will hear. Just as a point of reference only, not trying to promote any one brand of stereophone, this Koss page has the many different types of listening devices. Some of those are modestly priced and will be well within your prescribed budget range.

Indeed, the player quality comes into play as well. That Creative Labs "Zen" looks like a good unit. My Son has an iPod (not sure which brand) that he has integrated with his car audio system - virtually an endless selection of music. I'm a dinosaur when it comes to car audio - although I have a Monsoon 8 speaker system (160 watts) I use it for receiving classical broadcasts and playing CD's. Here, in the US, it's illegal to wear a stereo headphone set while driving ... but peeps can yack away on mobile phones - all while trying to shift gears and navigate corners with one hand ... go figure :lol:!!

Disclaimer: I do not work for Koss nor am I trying to promote Koss products for sale. It's the headphone system that was recommended to me about 40 years ago, I liked it then and still do today, so I'm just a very satisfied customer.

Last edited:

Contratrombone64

Admiral of Fugues
I would be very hesitant of purchasing earphones that you plug into your ears like these. Especially if you then listen to music very, very loudly. You'll enjoy the music now, but wait til you get older and Tinitus develops, you'll be very sorry ...

C5Says

I would be very hesitant of purchasing earphones that you plug into your ears like these. Especially if you then listen to music very, very loudly. You'll enjoy the music now, but wait til you get older and Tinitus develops, you'll be very sorry ...

I rarely use earphones. I don't even bring it with my cellphone. It hurts my ears physically like what a phone does when you've chatted with someone for hours. :D

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Of course you are right, CT64 ... users of headphones need to use reasonable volume levels when using these devices. Same is true when for using killer speakers at home, too. Used within reason or safe limits, headphones should pose no additional hearing loss other than attributable to old age.

Mat

Sr. Regulator
Staff member
Sr. Regulator
Regulator
Hi again guys:),

CT64, thank you for your concern. I am aware that listening to loud music can cause damage to my ears. I am also conversant with tinitus problem you mentioned (one of my family members suffers from it and has never listened to loud music). Anyway, I've chosen this type of earphones becuse its construction allows you to put them deep into your ear and thanks to the Auraseal system - most (up to 90%) of ambient noises are reduced. Thanks to it I don't have to listen to music as loud as I would have to while using average earphones.

I did some searching and limited choice down to 3 different products (of course other suggestions are still welcome:)):
Creative Aurvana
Creative EP-630
Sennheiser CX-400
And I have a problem because Aurvana's impendance is 42 Ohms and EP-630's impendance is 16 Ohms. Why there is so big difference and what does it mean when it comes to the sound itself?

P.S Krummhorn:tiphat::tiphat::tiphat:

Last edited:

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
IF I'm not mistaken, the higher the impedance (Ohms) the easier it is to "drive" those headphones, or in better terms, less power required to hear the full dynamic range of the music being played. Less power translates to lower volume levels as well.

robmcw

I use the Ultrasone Pro Headphones. There so good, I use them for mixing down in my studio.

Rob

Mat

Sr. Regulator
Staff member
Sr. Regulator
Regulator
Hi again folks,

I've bought EP-630. And I'm satisfied. Thanks for all your help:tiphat:.

Cheers,
Mat;)

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Nice ones, Mat ...

And 6 Hz to 23 kHz range ... fantastic :clap:

Just keep the volume at a level so that your eyes don't pop out :lol:

Mat

Sr. Regulator
Staff member
Sr. Regulator
Regulator
Hi Krummhorn,

Thanks for your concern:). You now, those rubber earbuds really work. They do reduce ambient noises. That's great solution for me as I use earphones mostly while travelling. And the deeper you put them into your ears the more bass you get:). The choice is free:lol:. And I paid 70 złotych (about 30 U.S dollars; shipping included) instead of 150 so the other half I can spend for something else;).

Best regards,
Mat

Jon Benignus

Hi again guys:),

I did some searching and limited choice down to 3 different products (of course other suggestions are still welcome:)):
Creative Aurvana
Creative EP-630
Sennheiser CX-400

I use:
Shure E2c-n

I am now on my second set, my first set lasted over 2 1/2 years before the sound quality started to degrade. I got a new set for Christmas for my Creative MP3 player. My old ones are still used, they are now on my organ so I can practice without waking the house.

I like the inner ear devices as they help isolate me from outside noise. Very useful for airplanes and airports (blech). My wife hates them herself and has to have full sized headphones.

As far as hearing loss is concerned, all earphone will do this to you if you turn the volume up too much.

Jon Benignus

JONESEY

They are some serious headphones CD!.
I've got a pair of sennheiser fold away headphones which are really good.

Andrew Roussak

Mat,

would be great if I can help you with this.

First off, I would NEVER NEVER NEVER use an in-ear design for a daily use. Think twice of what had Contratrombone mentioned concerning Tinitus. It is damned serious - I have two fellow musicians here who must live with a chronic form of it ( not to be cured anymore ), and had once an acute form myself ( couple of days only ). It literally drives you mad.

Concerning of what you need your headphones for -

I use Sennheiser HD 424 for exercising and Beierdynamic DT 990 for studio applications. Sennheiser HD 424 is a very old device - they have a good and solid middle, which is important for a piano sound - a good choice if you want to exercise on your digital piano late in the evening . Price in Ebay may be about 20 USD ( they are not being produced anymore ).

If you need a top quality sound - as I have once searched for a solution for a monitoring problem in a studio, I have tested some headphones in Rock Shop Karlsruhe studio, using the same amplifier and the same CD. BD DT 990 were for my taste the winner - AKG K 140 ( or 141 ?? ) were good too, but I find the sound of Beierdynamic somehow more transparent. Price was about 130 Euro.

Regards, hope it all helps,
Andrew

Mat

Sr. Regulator
Staff member
Sr. Regulator
Regulator
Hey Andrew,

Thanks for your response. But I need small in-ear earphones I could easily put into my pocket.

First off, I would NEVER NEVER NEVER use an in-ear design for a daily use.

Okay, I've been warned. Thanks for your concern:).

Anyway, I have already bought Creative EP-630. And I can't complain. Great product, imho.

Cheers,
Mat