Whaling ... For or Against

Contratrombone64

Admiral of Fugues
There's been a lot in the Australian press lately about the Japanese illegally killing whales in the great southern ocean in the name of science.

Mind you, as I understand it, the Norwegians are into whale killing too, but for very different reasons: the whales off the cost of Norway are abundant and, therefore, eat a lot of fish. The fish, of course, being the very livelihood of a lot of Norwegians. Anyway, back to the Japanese.

I happen to think their claims of scientic research are a little difficult to swallow, especially when they are absolutely not forthcoming with their research results, also Austrailan scientists in the press claim that this research can be undertaken without killing the whales.

If one is annoyed by this sort of activity and one wants to take a stand then you can: stop buying Japanese electronic appliances, cars, et cetera. Or you can write to the Japanese Embassy/Consulate in your country and public voice your opposition.

Now - not wanting to start an anti-Japanese thread here (and I certainly don't want to do that), I'd be intersted in hearing what other posters think of this topic?

marval

Hi CT

I am with you on this one. I think the killing of whales is totally unnecessary, especially as the Japanese are most unforthcoming about what scientific needs they have.

I can see little benefit from a whale, but only because nobody has given me one. As you say at least the Norwegians have a valid reason.

If people who illegally kill whales can give me a very valid reason, then I might forgive them. But at the moment no-one has come up with an explanation.

We keep being told that we must watch our carbon footprint, and use less gas emissions because we are killing the planet. Surely countries who kill for the sake of it, or without explaning themselves, should be targeted first.

Margaret

methodistgirl

I don't like the idea of using small animals either in lab test from the
little mouse to the house cat. I saw a picture of a scientist using a
house cat to test the effects of nicotine on people and cancer treatments.
judy tooley

marval

Hi Guys

I do agree , but the trouble is would you be willing to take a drug that had not been tested first? I suppose if I were very ill then yes I would, but I have heard hardened animals protesters claim it is wrong but, they wouldn't be the guinea pigs. I would never knowingly buy products that had been tested on animals, but when it comes to medication to save my life, would I ask first if it had been tested on animals.

But I don't want to stir things up, after all we as humans have to speak for the animals. So please let us find other ways to obtain what we need, and test things, so they can live in peace and harmony as intended.

Margaret