PDA

View Full Version : New version of Piano Orchestration piece

AndreasvanHaren
Feb-25-2008, 18:33
Hi,
I made a new version of my orchestrated piano piece "After work, Late at Night".

Here are the links to the mp3 and the pdf:

"After work, late at night" - mp3:
http://www.box.net/shared/6f7wokl9co

"After work, late at night" - pdf:
http://www.box.net/shared/vr6l5ytc04

I put the piece in a higher key, so the oboe wouldn't be so low and thick in his solo, and the horn not so high (after putting it an octave lower as well).
i added some new strings parts and redid the woodwind section. I believe it's much more interesting now. This time, the mp3 isn't a midi bounce but played in on my piano into Garageband, using the Orchestra jam pack.

Like always, I love to hear comments to take out the errors.

André

Contratrombone64
Feb-25-2008, 23:24
I'm really impressed with the sound of the strings (especially) in the sampled music, what package did you use for that?

thanks

AndreasvanHaren
Feb-26-2008, 00:12
I'm really impressed with the sound of the strings (especially) in the sampled music, what package did you use for that?

thanks

In the Garageband (mac), I use he Hollywood strings. I believe they are part of the Orchestra Jampack.

Contratrombone64
Feb-26-2008, 02:00
Andreas, thanks (I use a Mac, too). I'll have to look into that because the generic strings that come with Finale are woeful.

corno
Feb-26-2008, 23:29
I put the piece in a higher key, so the oboe wouldn't be so low and thick in his solo, and the horn not so high (after putting it an octave lower as well).
i added some new strings parts and redid the woodwind section. I believe it's much more interesting now. This time, the mp3 isn't a midi bounce but played in on my piano into Garageband, using the Orchestra jam pack.

Like always, I love to hear comments to take out the errors.

André

Hi André.

Now we're "cooking". :)
This is much more in the orchestral idiom than your first draft. Very good!
There are still some passages which could benefit from further thought.
The horn part in mm. 6-14 is ok - but a first impression of mine while I heard it the first time was: why isn't this part played by the bassoon here? It would make a very nice compliment to the oboe in the beginning, and it would really be greate on the semi-high bassoon. In my opinion anyway.:)

In calm (p og pp) passages think of reducing the orchestration instead. M. 25 is very "busy" - and the dim. towards m 27, while written, would, I think, be better approached in a reduction of playing parts.
The wind-accomp. in mm. 28-> is very simpel yet effective.
Again the horn part in mm. 32->, while adding another dimension to the theme juest played is perhaps a little too low. :) yeah I know... too low? - the horn is most effective as a p(iano)-solo instrument a third/fourth or so and higher. But then again... maybe this part here is ok... hmm...
The brasssection following is great - and with a nice string accomp./filler/answer - as with m. 19-22 - but maybe you could omit the strings in this first part and let the brass stand on its own?
The part from m. 42 is a little uncohesive - the "fall" in the horn would be more interesting with some more instruments following it - it sounds a little "vague" here.
M. 45-> is very nice - the tremolo in the violins is a very good idea - maybe it could last a few more measures?
The ending sounds a little off to me - it seems to me to be more harmony than melody.

Just some thoughts on a very nice job!

Cheers.
Thomas

AndreasvanHaren
Feb-27-2008, 01:33
Thanks Thomas! Nice to read all these little details. I will have a look at it and see if it gives me some new ideas.

Best wishes,
André

AndreasvanHaren
Feb-28-2008, 10:15
Here is my latest version, did some changes again:

http://www.box.net/shared/x32kizlkw4

André

Krummhorn
Feb-28-2008, 19:36
Nice work, André

A new facet of your multi talented composition skills ... We surely appreciate your sharing of these pieces with this forum community. Always enjoy listening and being able to follow scores - gives me a greater amount of appreciation for your work.

Contratrombone64
Feb-28-2008, 23:21
Indeed - it's been than a lot of the other stuff that's been dished up here as original composition.

AndreasvanHaren
Feb-29-2008, 01:39
Thanks, I'm working on another piano piece now, trying more things out with the orchestration. Very interesting excursion. I will post it when I have it ready.

André

AndreasvanHaren
Mar-05-2008, 11:55
Here is the final version ( I think) of my first piano piece, "After work". I made a lot of changes and did some layout cleaning.

I am working on my second piano piece now, "Cat's play" I orchestrated the first part of it by now and working on the next. I will post it here when I finish it.

André

methodistgirl
Mar-16-2008, 13:52
I like it myself. I'm listening to it right now as I write this. It's pretty!
judy tooley

AndreasvanHaren
Mar-16-2008, 15:19
Hi,

Here is the completed orchestration of "Cat's play", my second piano piece.

The mp3 is a normal midi bounce from out Sibelius 4, so not very good, but I hope it's clear what I try to do.

Cat's play - mp3: http://www.box.net/shared/buamxum2sg
Cat's play - pdf score: http://www.box.net/shared/2dei2tm688

André