Mitsuko Uchida and Beethoven

Contratrombone64

Admiral of Fugues
I've just bought (iTunes store) Beethoven's Sonata No. 29 (Hammerklavier), which happens to be my favourite. Played by the marvellous Mitsuko Uchida ... I'm just so into her interpretations, anyone else like this marvellous Japanese pianist??

I think she's the bee's knees.

Kromme

Never heard her playing Beethoven but i was lucky enough to attend one of her concerts.She was soloist with Koninklijk Concertgebouworkest conducted by Mariss Jansons.She was playing a Mozart concerto and was brilliant.She sounded so joyous and light.She has a very keen ear for classical structure it seemed to me.So i would not be surprised if i heard her play Beethoven with classical approach.

Contratrombone64

Admiral of Fugues
Beethoven with classical approach? why not, he's classical afterall, most certainly not romantic, even in his third period still classical basically. But yes, Uchida's playing is crystal clear and beautifully sculptured.

Kromme

Well,i would say his third period symphonies are closer to romantic than classical however i agree you on piano concerto's which all are pretty classical to my ears (maybe with the exception of Kaiser) and piano sonatas.