Charity...

marval

Wow It certainly makes you think hard about the meaning of words. But every right one helps, I will try to do better later.

Margaret

Mat

Sr. Regulator
Staff member
Sr. Regulator
Regulator
Maybe it's not my best but I donated 80 grains of rice. It's just for now

marval

Oh dear

It is addictive. I have just done 2,760 grains of rice.

It is a great way to learn new words.

Margaret

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
The site is quite interesting ... according to Snopes.com this appears to be a bonafied venture.
As Margaret states, it is addictive ... in my first session I did 860 grains of rice in a matter of 5 or 6 minutes.

Contratrombone64

Admiral of Fugues
Sweet Corn, that's fantastic, especially for a cunning linguist myself. Love it ... I don't always agree with their definitions, however, but they're close enough to correct. Intet should try this, it'll definitely improve his English ...

Corno Dolce

Admiral Honkenwheezenpooferspieler
Hello Dear MIMFers,

I am joyful to have found another way to help those less fortunate. Ultimately, the best solution is not just the passing out of food but helping others so that they can help themselves e.g. Entrepreneurial skills so that peoples in developing countries can prosper in agriculture, textiles, livestock - the list goes on and on and on.............In other words self-sufficiency - otherwise they are just slaves to someone else.

Cheers,

CD :):):):)

methodistgirl

The reason for potatoes is that besides cooking them you could plant some
of the eyes and have more potatoes.
judy tooley

Corno Dolce

Hi Ms. Judy,

Rice is a staple that lends itself to easy growth and distribution in developing countries. Another thing to think about is that potato production in tropical agriculture does not yield very high returns because of a pest called "Nematodes".

These very tiny creatures thrive in the warm soil and propagate profusely. We who live in the northern hemisphere experience the antidote to these pests, which is when winter sets in and the frost penetrates the soil and kills the nematodes. Remember that different regions have different types of agriculture.

Southeast Asian countries, Sub-Saharan countries, and Tropical African countries have their own indigenous agriculture. If you introduce a "foreign" species of agriculture you will cause more problems than you solve. The trick is to identify which vegetables, plants, shrubs, and trees that are endemic to the region and then have a system by which one introduces those very same species in quantites so that people in developing countries will benefit from their own endemic agricultural system.

Cheers,

CD :):):):):):):)

methodistgirl

Not all of the needy live in the tropics. How about some of the kids who
live up north where it's cold? In the tropics you can grow other vegetables.
In dessert lands where it's dry you can't grow nothing.
judy tooley

Corno Dolce

Dear Ms. Judy,

Yes, you can grow other vegetables in the tropics but they must be species that are endemic to those regions, otherwise diseases and pests will be introduced into the endemic agriculture. I am aware of the disastrous conditions in the deserts of Saharan Countries. Back to the Tropics: Bangladesh has more than 130 million citizens - half of which are starving - Bangladesh is about the size of Iowa in geographic size. The Sudan and the region of Darfur are a tragedy that even the U.N. can't get a grip on it.

Cheers,

CD :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
. . . In dessert [ed. desert] lands where it's dry you can't grow nothing. judy tooley

I live in a dry desert region - we have many relentless hot days well over 105 (°F) for months on end without any rainfall, yet we are able to grow lots of edible things. Apples, citrus, tomatoes, grapes, to name a few ... :rolleyes:

methodistgirl

My church and it's members donates food and clothing for the needy.
Even shelter sometimes. That is why I live in this new place myself.
Enough church members saw what I was living in and someone did
something about it. I'm very greatful for it too!:cry:
judy tooley