Private tutoring and self-employment

philcan

I would like to ask you a very important question. Do you have to get a license or a registration (being incorporated) for self-employing in UK? I guess government wants everyone to pay taxes and so on.
icon_contrat.gif
What are the basic rules if you want to establish your private tutoring? You know, I wouldn't like to be an economic criminal.
icon_fume.gif

Thanks
Phil

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Hi Phil,

I can't speak for the UK, but here in the US, most teachers in this category belong to some sort of "association" and/or have advanced degrees in education.
Rojo, our resident pedagogue of piano, will be able to shed more light on that aspect.

I did find this site that seems to have a plethora of information on self-employment in your country.

Contratrombone64

Admiral of Fugues
The United Kingdom is no different to Australia, New Zealand or the United States. If you earn an income from a venture (legally), then you have to (read should) declare it and pay tax. As annoying as paying tax is ... without it we'd not have infrastructure or politicians.

Infrastructure is important, politicians are the annoying side effects.

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
. . . As annoying as paying tax is ... without it we'd not have infrastructure or politicians . . . . . politicians are the annoying side effects.

Gawd, aren't they ever ... the mud is slinging by the wheelbarrow full now.

I know several music teachers who are professors at universities and also teach privately as a sideline - the private sessions were "off the record" and not reported as income as it added greatly to their tax liability. A close friend used to report everything as income (weddings, funerals, lessons taught, etc) ... then he got "ginged" for owing taxes and basically had to turn over all the income derived from those ventures. He promptly stopped reporting it and all is well ... The government will always get enough money one way or another.

I don't claim income from weddings or funerals on taxes - the mere pittance that organists get paid [here, anyway] for such services is just not worth the hassle of all the taxation forms - so far (48 years and counting) so good. :rolleyes:

Corno Dolce

Admiral Honkenwheezenpooferspieler
Dear Master Krummhorn,

But, dear sir, how are we going to fund all the entitlement programs that a "certain" un-named party wants to award all those who come over the border from Mexico? And all the other "social engineering and welfare projects"?:eek::grin::rolleyes::p:smirk::devil::banana::whistle::nut::smash::ut::scold::banghead::shake:

Do report all your income - if not, you are stealing - and the government hates competition in that department. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Remember, our Congress and Senate Critters voted for Income Tax in 1913. America had tax on consumption before 1913 and it did very well. With Income Tax you have a dis-incentive to invest. Income Tax pulls the rug out from under the constituency and holds them in thrall to the State. We have a situation where the constituency is in thrall to the State and it is serving the State. The State shall serve the people - People shall not serve the State - when people serve the State they are unfree and have no true Liberty.

Cheers,

CD :):):)

Last edited:

Contratrombone64

Admiral of Fugues
I see no problem with not declaring tax as I'm not a christian and not, hence, guided by some moral sense of duty ... (hops off soap box lest it crack)

methodistgirl

I see no need to report to taxes. If you do some tutoring and the child's
parents are unable to pay don't turn them away. Specially if the child or
student has an interest in what you are teaching.
judy tooley