To all the writers & composers!!

FredeJyllMusic

Hello who ever read this!! ;)
I would really love to write - compose my own songs, but i can't..
I have cubase, a midi keyboard and a good computer, but I don't have the most importent thing of them all.. "The inspiration and the ideas"..

So if as many songwriters - composers as possible would discuss how they write a song and how they get the inspiration and ideas for a new song, so we who really would like to write songs (but can't) can read this thread and learn how to write songs..

This is my personal biggest wish.. And if we get so far, is all a have to say is thank you and have a great conversation.. XD

methodistgirl

Listen to all styles of music even if you hate some of it. I myself get
my bible out and read the book of psalms. That section of the bible
is what gives me the inspiration to do poetry and set it to music or
if I have a tune in my head I will read psalms to get an idea for the
lyrics. Even the Lord's Prayer can be used in new music.
judy tooley

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
I compose for my own amusement and others amazement ... mostly improvisations that I've had to invent and play without any warning during a church service.

My inspirations comes from the instrument itself - the pipe organ - I get into a trance with it and become part of the instrument, breathing with it and making music together. I know that sounds wierd, but it's a situation that works for me. I can also look at an object - a tree, flower, church stained glass window - and hear notes emanating from them. I'm now in the process of notating these improvs - creating a legacy for those that want them after I'm gone from this life.

methodistgirl

Krummhorn, you couldn't have said that any better. That's the way I
use to feel when I played the one at my church. I was getting ready
to compose something I could play before I was told not to play it.
I felt like I was the missing mashine that made the music come alive.
judy tooley

Andrew Roussak

I would really love to write - compose my own songs, but i can't..
I have cubase, a midi keyboard and a good computer, but I don't have the most importent thing of them all.. "The inspiration and the ideas"..

So if as many songwriters - composers as possible would discuss how they write a song and how they get the inspiration and ideas for a new song, so we who really would like to write songs (but can't) can read this thread and learn how to write songs..

This is my personal biggest wish.. And if we get so far, is all a have to say is thank you and have a great conversation.. XD

Hi FJMusic,

this is just a faint attempt to help...

On my opinion, inspiration will not come to you from a computer or MIDI-keyboard. These are only tools in your hands. I would say - try to play guitar, if you are a guitar player, or piano, if you are a pianist...or just sing anything - and then try to harmonise it, fill your melody with chords ,and then form it with sound patches ( you will need a Cubase first at this stage ). Add a drummer to it ( any drum set, MIDI Channel 10, you know...).
Doesn't matter if it sounds similar to any other piece, or band - it is almost inevitable, but it will still be your music. Just sing a melody, then play it down, then find the appropriate chords...And watch what happens.;-)

Regards
Andrew

Soubasse

My inspirations comes from the instrument itself - the pipe organ - I get into a trance with it and become part of the instrument, breathing with it and making music together. I know that sounds wierd, but it's a situation that works for me. I can also look at an object - a tree, flower, church stained glass window - and hear notes emanating from them.

Damn it's nice to hear someone else saying things like that - I thought I was alone for a while:) I frequently used to produce improvisations based on the stained glass windows at the cathedral, largely because they provide such a rich source of colour - literally, metaphorically and musically (can't anymore because the console is facing the wrong way! :()

FJM - so far I won't disagree with any of the suggestions here and I'll certainly reinforce the notion that inspiration will never strike at a computer. Sometimes, the more "unmusical" or unusual the influences, the more extraordinary the music. If you're ever uncertain about anything, arm yourself with some basic knowledge of form and structure so that you can use a framework within which to place and develop your idea ... ANY idea.

Also, never be afraid of simplicity. Remember that a great deal of the best music for centuries has been based on something simple and there are almost too many examples to mention. I've just been teaching one of my classes about Beethoven's 7th Symphony - the 2nd movement is an amazing piece which is essentially built around an incredibly simple rhythm.

Ritchie Blackmore originally thought his riffs for Smoke On The Water and Space Truckin' were too simple - it took the other guys in the band to say "No they're great, let's use them!"

Your idea can be anything - a rhythm, a tune, a three note riff, a chord progression, it doesn't matter. Just grab it with both hands and hang on to it, then look at it carefully and ask yourself "Right - what shall I do with you?"

Hope that's of some help. Have fun.

Matt

Corno Dolce

Admiral Honkenwheezenpooferspieler
Hi Soubasse,

What a great posting by you - BRAVO!!!:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

I especially liked your statement about *improvisations based on the stained glass windows at the cathedral...because they provide such a rich source of colour - literally, metaphorically, and musically*. That reminds me so of Tournemire and Messiaen. I doff my hat in respect to you :tiphat::tiphat::tiphat::tiphat::tiphat::tiphat::tiphat:

Cheers,

CD :):):):):):):)

Damn it's nice to hear someone else saying things like that - I thought I was alone for a while:) I frequently used to produce improvisations based on the stained glass windows at the cathedral, largely because they provide such a rich source of colour - literally, metaphorically and musically (can't anymore because the console is facing the wrong way! :()

FJM - so far I won't disagree with any of the suggestions here and I'll certainly reinforce the notion that inspiration will never strike at a computer. Sometimes, the more "unmusical" or unusual the influences, the more extraordinary the music. If you're ever uncertain about anything, arm yourself with some basic knowledge of form and structure so that you can use a framework within which to place and develop your idea ... ANY idea.

Also, never be afraid of simplicity. Remember that a great deal of the best music for centuries has been based on something simple and there are almost too many examples to mention. I've just been teaching one of my classes about Beethoven's 7th Symphony - the 2nd movement is an amazing piece which is essentially built around an incredibly simple rhythm.

Ritchie Blackmore originally thought his riffs for Smoke On The Water and Space Truckin' were too simple - it took the other guys in the band to say "No they're great, let's use them!"

Your idea can be anything - a rhythm, a tune, a three note riff, a chord progression, it doesn't matter. Just grab it with both hands and hang on to it, then look at it carefully and ask yourself "Right - what shall I do with you?"

Hope that's of some help. Have fun.

Matt

Corno Dolce

Admiral Honkenwheezenpooferspieler
Hello Andrew,

I just want to say how enamored I am of your posting since I know that you are a *working and composing* musician - BRAVO :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Cheers,

CD :):):):):):):)

Hawk Henries

:tiphat::tiphat::tiphat::tiphat::clap::tiphat::tiphat:For All you who have responded to this post...Your words to FJMusic are wonderful and inspirational to me!!

Kh-your relationship with the organ is not weird at all. I invite my flutes to do their work when playing in public. Each flute has it's own song(s) which do not always work in all situations. I do not prepare a program when playing publicly rather I let those who cam to listen influence what I play. This I do by feel...
I think of the construction of flutes as well as playing them as ceremonial...my inspiration from the many aspects of Life.
Anoquasho is Algonquin meaning Ceremony is Life Itself....

James McFadyen

Inspiration is over-rated. Composition requires lots of hard work and dedication. If you want to compose, compose; it's best way to get inspiration rather than waiting on it!

At 28, it's only now I'm starting to get a bit more known, not because of inspiration but because of sheer dedication, hard work and unbelievable amounts of self drive.

Good luck!

Contratrombone64

Admiral of Fugues
I compose for my own amusement and others amazement ... mostly improvisations that I've had to invent and play without any warning during a church service.

My inspirations comes from the instrument itself - the pipe organ - I get into a trance with it and become part of the instrument, breathing with it and making music together. I know that sounds wierd, but it's a situation that works for me. I can also look at an object - a tree, flower, church stained glass window - and hear notes emanating from them. I'm now in the process of notating these improvs - creating a legacy for those that want them after I'm gone from this life.

What altar wine is dished up at eucharist??

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
:lol: @ CT64 ...

Actually, being off to one side and one level up from the church nave, and the 30 second or so journey to the altar, makes it impractical for the organist to receive the Eucharist meal at services. So, I'm completely sober when doing those improvs. :grin: After services though ... well, all the leftover wine must be consumed or returned to the earth - it's considered irreligious to poured sacramental wine down the drain and into common sewer systems.

Eucharistic wine? Arizona Sunset, grown and produced by Sonoita Vineyards - Elgin, Arizona. The vintner/owner is a member of our congregation, and donates this wine for our sacramental purposes.

Teo

Greeeeeeeat request!

Hi Frede J.,

Awesome topic :grin: and you have generated some really exciting replies! Spirited! And.. spirits'd he he.. I don't really know people here so I won't try and reply to the replies, but they have truly inspired ME! First I'm going to be snyde, then genuine and try to help, hoping it balances out to even - in the middle.

...So if as many songwriters - composers as possible would discuss how they write a song and how they get the inspiration and ideas for a new song, so we who really would like to write songs (but can't) can read this thread and learn how to write songs...

OK, you're asking for people who have worked for lifetimes, literally generations, to give you "just add water" creativity? Is that fair? Why not ask one of them to compose your cadenzas or main theme - appreciate who has gone before you - that's my altitude I mean attitude. Aren't there enough untalented, non-hard-working and non-studied people getting too much praise and celebrity?

that said

I used to compose tons. I'd say musically the most genuine way is when music evolves from say, practing the circle of fifths, or some chord progression you reeeally groove on, in my case I'm a 7sus-7 kinda guy, so in a minute I could play C A7sys-A7 Dminor G7sus-G7 and make a new song out of it. In a sourer mood I'd work the flat-6 to 5 thing, sort of flamenco cry out let's say FMajor (sometimes flat5) to E7 back and forth, then when you totally can't stand it resolve to the Aminor. Cry your unrequited love on those changes until you hear a Dminor place to go, or C F G something.. in other words, play with common chord changes, and whatever licks you are good at. Blues scale? Arpeggiated chords? Pentatonic scales? Bent 5ths?

At the least you can get some good B SECTION material out of circle of fifths workouts. And all of the above can be inspired by stained glass, a tree, a love, a ratified constitution, lords prayer, mantra chantra dance or what have you.. maybe not all at once, that's tooo creative :D

The next most genuine way - for songs that are words and music - is to work from "hook backwards." Find the meaty part of the chorus, maybe your feeling and rhyme of "...dress" and "life's a mess" and just take the words, and of course every spoken sentance is musical, kapisch? Dramatize it LIKE YOU MEAN IT! Make he never wear that dress without knowing how it made your life a mess! Find the genuine way to phrase that sentence, and also how the melody leads to the next chord, so that people will fall over waiting for the next chord if you delay it too long.

Find the hook, then the sub hook or second hook, then third, if you are Mozart do that 10 times for all 4 simultaneous melodies.. :mad: hey give them time to breathe... So then back up from the hook and start the story at the beginning. "I was walking peacefull self contained.. and saw you and my blood drained.." and build (back) up to the hook.

Try saying it to yourself like you read a paper before turning it in. Genuine as possible buddy, "BELIEVABILITY."

I think of all the great suggestions you have gotten here... McFadyen is my choice: "...lots of hard work and dedication...sheer dedication, hard work and unbelievable amounts of self drive..." I want to hear his composition already!:clap:

Sorry to go on and on and on and on but composing and inspiration used to be my biggest joy... mmm... then I realized I'm lame, Liszt and Chopin are so much better, LVB, Satie, Pyotr, Verdi, Puccini, Strausse, Bach and all have got me sooooo beat! The quantity those fellows composed, without copy machines? They must have had dozens of pages written in their hand - A DAY every day of their lives.

Not only did most of them not have MIDI Keyboards, Cubase, a good computer - and you didn't mention: AWESOME DISCUSSION FORUMS!!! but they probably didn't even have an electric light....

Hope that helps Maestro Jyll, don't forget to plug your buddies when you're rich and famous. ;)

Branislav

Banned
Just play a lot... especially jamsessions in which you don't know what they're going to be playing, then the writing comes naturally because you get a more instinctive feel for what does and doesn't sound well.... besides it's a great chance to see what happens if you combine different scales :D FUN!!

By the way, am I the only one who's not religious around here?
Not that I mind... jhust curious.

Sylvie Pacey

Hello Freddyjellmusic, what an interesting topic you have started. For myself I don't compose very often, but usually its because a short phrase perhaps of only three or four notes kicks off a theme when I am least expecting it. Sometimes I write some lyrics and then add music, sometimes the other way around. Sometimes I write just music without words. Try sitting at your instrument and play around with chords and chord progressions until you find INSPIRATION!! A basic understanding of the Cycle of fifths is really helpful. Above all, have fun. Music should lift the spirit, not grind it down. Sylvie