Inviting comments on VW's Pastoral Symphony

Ouled Nails

Ralph Vaughan-Williams is my favorite British composer. Most of his symphonies, though composed well into the 20th century, seem to address and to reconcile the difficult aesthetic problem of modernizing classical music without alienating all those who still long for a romantic sound. His "pastoral symphony" is also quite mysterious! One can listen to this work as though it were nothing else but "pastoral" and greatly appreciate his contribution to this particular style. Serene English pastoral vistas. You could be walking your dog with his music flowing through your ears and actually believe that all is peaceful, that the world has found its rightful rhythm and equilibrium. I like to listen to this symphony as a walk through the battle fields of France long after World War I ended. Still peaceful, yes, but with this presence of countless souls of the dead soldiers who perished on this very spot. Both "romantically" (or post-romantically) pastoral and profoundly realistic all at once.

Corno Dolce

Admiral Honkenwheezenpooferspieler
Hi Ouled Nails - Welcome back dear sir,

I so wholeheartedly agree with about VW's "Pastoral Symphony". As a matter of fact, the "Five Variations On Dives And Lazarus" and the "Pastoral Symphony" helped me discover the music of VW.

Cheers,

CD :):):)

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Judy,

Found it on Rhapsody (subscription may be required) ... downloads are possible, but for a fee since it is a copyrighted work. It's on the Naxos label.

rojo

(Ret)
Hi ON,

Well, I haven't heard this work in a long time, and haven't heard it more than once or twice, so I can't say I recall too much; I'm more familiar with some of his other works. So I'll just say that that's a lovely description.

So nice to see you again. :)

Art Rock

Sr. Regulator
Staff member
Sr. Regulator
I have all of his symphonies, and his fifth is my favourite, followed by the London symphony and then the pastoral. It is a well-named composition, and very representative of his work.

marval

I think Ralph Vaughan-Williams tends to be forgotten. He seems to be very little talked about. His Pastoral Symphony is a wonderful piece, and he did some lovely arrangements of English folk songs.

It is good to be able to talk about lesser known composers and their works, not so famous but, just as interesting in their compositions.

Margaret

Ouled Nails

Yes, the fifth is a splendid work too and the seventh would probably intrigue those members, here, who tend to "cross-over" a lot with other kinds of music. I guess one could view the second "London" symphony as program music wherein London itself is the character.

It is my understanding that some of Vaughan-Williams' works are among the most frequently played in the whole repertoire (e.g., The Lark Ascending), particularly if one lives in the U.K.

Contratrombone64

Admiral of Fugues
Yep RVW's music is wonderful. The so called Pastoral symphony is very calm, considering it's neighbours. RVW also used the pipe organ to great effect in the Sinfonia Antarctica, from memory. Love also his wonderful and translucent flos campi.