Making outrageous broadreaching statements

Contratrombone64

Admiral of Fugues
Here's a classic example of a statement made about a population (courtesy of Berlingske Tidene, a Copenhagen broadsheet).

Briterne er enige: Margarat Thatcther var den bedste premierminister, de har haft, og var der valg i dag, ville hun vinde.

translation (as well as I can with my limited Danish)

Brits are unanimous: Margarat Thatcher was the best PM they ever had, and if she were the choice now, would she still win?

I've love to hear what Margaret (marvel that is NOT Thatcher!!) and other Brits think about this??

Last edited:

marval

Hi CT

Well, what did I think of Margaret Thatcher?

Yes I think she was a good prime minister, not sure everone here had the same opinion.

I think she stood up for the people, we were always being told that her father was a greengrocer, so that meant she could identify with the common man.

She was in power for eleven years, so some people must have liked her, of course not everthing she did was popular, ie the Falklands war, but she did what she thought was right.

Oh dear! This makes me sound very pro Thatcher, I didn't actually vote for her.

Would she still win now? that is a tricky one, the problem is that I really don't at the moment think there is anyone good to govern.

We only have Mr Brown because Mr Blair (who I had no love for) stepped down and gave the leadership to him. Nobody voted for our Gordon.

All the promises that Tony Blair made never materialised, smaller classes in schools, better hospital care. Gordon Brown said he would be different, but I haven't noticed much difference.

And every time something is said, the Labour government blames the Tories. "Oh! We inherited that mess."

Back to the question, I am not sure that people would vote for Maggie Thatcher now.

I shall have to examine each party very carefully, before the next election.

Now, I have been verbose enough, let's hope other Brits reply with their opinion.

Margaret

Contratrombone64

Admiral of Fugues
I lived in Britain during Thatcher's reign. She seemed to me, at the time, to be quite unpopular. I don't really have an opinion as I'm not British (though I do have the right toa EU/UK passport thanks to my father being Scottish).

methodistgirl

I know of some so called TV evangelist who started a y2k scare which
didn't even happen. The USA is another country that puts out some
outrageous broadreaching statements even since I was little from the
war in Viet Nam to what's going on now.
judy tooley