What's a nice song?

Ouled Nails

Forget the organ, the rock and roll band, the concerto, the opera!

Keep it simple!

What's a nice song? Examples??

rojo

(Ret)
Nice songs about youth-

Debussy - Quatre Chansons de Jeunesse

Nice songs about trees-

Schubert - Der Lindenbaum
R. Schumann - Der Nussbaum

Mat

Sr. Regulator
Staff member
Sr. Regulator
Regulator
I think 4′33″ by John Cage is great...

Mat

Sr. Regulator
Staff member
Sr. Regulator
Regulator
Ya know, I just like the concept itself. Four and a half minutes of silence... I've dreamt of this invention. You put your earphones in your ears, turn on the player and suddenly all noises disappear. And the only thing you can hear is silence. Imagine, you're in the middle of crowded street with this little invention. And you can isolate from the "outside world" simply by pressing the button on your player. Wouldn't that be great?:grin:

Cheers,
Mat

Andrew Roussak

Ya know, I just like the concept itself. Four and a half minutes of silence... I've dreamt of this invention. You put your earphones in your ears, turn on the player and suddenly all noises disappear. And the only thing you can hear is silence. Imagine, you're in the middle of crowded street with this little invention. And you can isolate from the "outside world" simply by pressing the button on your player. Wouldn't that be great?:grin:

Cheers,
Mat

But , if I got it technically right, you will still hear the sounds of the crowded street instead of silence? Which type of earphones exactly do you use? :)grin::grin::grin:)...

some guy

Cage's concept, though, was to open up music to include all sounds. The idea of 4'33" and others was to include sounds that the composer did not intend, not to exclude all sounds. Indeed, Cage did not like the whole portable sound system business because it isolates the listener from the world.

Mat

Sr. Regulator
Staff member
Sr. Regulator
Regulator
This whole 'silence invention' thing is just my pure fantasy, has not much to do with Cage's intentions, which I'm aware of. 4'33" is not all about silence, of course, as some guy was kind to observe, but it also deals with sounds that 'surround' the performance.