• Welcome to the Pipe Organ Forum! This is a part of the open community Magle International Music Forums focused on pipe organs (also known as "church organs"), organists, organ music and related topics.

This forum is intended to be a friendly place where technically advanced organists and beginners (or even non-organists) can feel comfortable having discussions and asking questions. We learn by reading and asking questions, and it is hoped that the beginners (or non-organists) will feel free to ask even the simplest questions, and that the more advanced organists will patiently answer these questions. On the other hand, we encourage complex, technical discussions of technique, music, organ-building, etc. The opinions and observations of a diverse group of people from around the world should prove to be interesting and stimulating to all of us.

As pipe organ discussions can sometimes become lively, it should be pointed out that this is an open forum. Statements made here are the opinion of the poster, and not necessarily that of the forum itself, its administrator, or its moderators.

In order to post a new topic - or reply to existing ones - you may join and become a member by clicking on Register New User. It's completely free and only requires a working email address (in order to confirm your registration - it will never be given away!). We strive to make this a friendly and informative forum for anyone interested in pipe organs and organ music.

(Note: If you wish to link to and promote your own website please read this thread first.)

Many kind regards
    smile.gif

Frederik Magle
    Administrator

Krummhorn
    Co-Administrator

Is the organ dead?

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Hi Margaret,

The article points out lots of sad things happening to these once stately organs. Thinking about all the labor hours that went into the construction of these pipe organs and how quickly they are demolished is absolutely horrifying. When a building is about to be razed, and there is an organ worth saving, they are advertised for sale, but as in most cases, the buyer must remove it at their own expense, and usually by a well defined non-movable date. Sometimes the costs of just removal alone far exceed the value to be realized, even after a complete restoration.

The more a pipe organ is played, the better for all its internal working parts - some of those organs pictured may have been sitting silent for several years ... and as such become a nightmare for restoration, not to mention the cost of doing so.

There is also routine maintenance for any pipe organ ... tuning ... usually done at least twice a year - on the average. When the tuner visits, they also take care of a few little problems (preventative maintenance) before they become big expensive problems. If the pipe organ is neglected for several years because of budget constraints or no funds available for tuning/repair, the organ falls into dis-repair ... arthritis sets in, and eventually the instrument becomes totally unplayable, and is eventually either sold or scrapped. I guess economics enters into the picture establishing value in terms of restoration costs vs what the scrap dealer will pay.

The pipe organ is far from dead ... I think the "living ones" far exceed the "dead ones" probably thousands to one. We have lots of dedicated people here in MIMF Land who are doing their part in preserving our King of Instruments.

marval

Hi Krummhorn

And long may the organ live.

Unfortunately cost does play a factor, but all historical organs and buildings shoud be saved if at all possible.

Margaret

jvhldb

The pipe organ is far from dead ... I think the "living ones" far exceed the "dead ones" probably thousands to one. We have lots of dedicated people here in MIMF Land who are doing their part in preserving our King of Instruments.

And over her the "living ones" are dying due to a lack of organists and persons with the necessary skills to maintain them.

falcon1

Here in Iceland the organ is well alive (2-3 new organs are in the plans or are in beginning phase of construction), but the church administration are well on their way to destroy the future of organists as an occupation. I for one are really considering wether I will continue to pursue this occupation or change a career, or at least change it from main occupation to a side occupation or freelance.
I feel very sad about it because I really love to play on my instrument but I feel there is no other option for me than rethinking my future career path.

Contratrombone64

Admiral of Fugues
Falcon1 ... I'd love to know how Icelanders deal with bitterly cold church buildings in winter and keeping organs playable? I can only assume your heating bills must be astronomical.

falcon1

Contratrombone64, most churches here are heated with geothermal energy. Some small places doesn't have that but then it is most often heated with electricity.
The heating bills are rather cheap here compared to most other countries because we have plenty of energy under our feet. Unfortunatly politicians are keen to use way too much of our energy in pollution factories like aluminium smelters and on ridiculous low prices - but that's another discussion. :)

Contratrombone64

Admiral of Fugues
falcon, thanks for your response. Fascinating place, maybe one day I'll travel there! have you been to Australia ever? I met and Icelander once in Sydney (he was on vacation). All I remember of him was that he was very tall, very blue eyed, very blonde and very charming.

Corno Dolce

Admiral Honkenwheezenpooferspieler
Hi falcon1,

I often travel to Iceland and have tried to follow the debate in regards to the Aluminum producer on the Eastern end of Iceland. I had read that one of Europes largest Hydroelectric dams was built specifically to produce electricity for the Aluminum company's operations which entails the refining of Bauxite in order to produce Aluminum. It requires enormous quantites of electricity for Aluminum production to take place and so, consequently, only a small fraction goes into the grid for everyone else.

Back on topic: Were it not for the conscientious efforts of Organists, Universities, Organ Builders and Organ aficionados the art of Organ Building would die on the vine.

Cheers,

CD :tiphat::tiphat::tiphat::tiphat:

falcon1

Contra, yup you must come and visit someday - most beautiful country in the world, unfortunatly one of the most expensive one too. :(
No, I have never been to Australia but would like to visit someday and check out those organs in Sydney. Just worried that it will be too hot for me though, I feel not very good when the temprature goes over 25 degrees celsius hehe... :)

Corno Dolce, interesting! You must contact me next when you will visit Iceland, will be nice to meet a member from this forum. :)
Yes, you're right - that dam was only built because of that aluminium smelter in east fjords of Iceland. Unfortunatly the price that company pays for the electricity is ridiculously low!