The Composer And The Performer.......

Corno Dolce

Admiral Honkenwheezenpooferspieler
Dear MIMFers,

Here's is some really good food for thought:

http://www.math.uchicago.edu/~ryzhik/Feinberg1.html

This article should inspire the music lovers, music performers, and music pedagogues present on MIMF. For those of you who don't know, Maestro Feinberg was quite a composer, transcriber and performer of solo piano literature. His transcription of the Scherzo movement from Tchaikovsky's 6th Symphony is one of the most satisfying out there.

Cheers,

CD :tiphat::tiphat::tiphat::tiphat:

Udyret

Food for thought indeed. I will get back to this article more than once, no

doubt. Thanks for a great link. :cheers:

With kind regards Peter

rojo

(Ret)
Interesting link, CD; thanks for sharing.

I think I agree with most of what he's saying. Playing music is so simple, yet so very complex.... teaching it is the same.

Corno Dolce

Admiral Honkenwheezenpooferspieler
Hi guys,

Its my utmost joy to be able to share somethng that eveyone can use.

Cheers,

CD :tiphat::tiphat::tiphat::tiphat:

johnkhristen

rach3 problems

hi i have a question, im just studying rachs concerto number3 / how on earth does one accomplish rachmaninovs chord stretches ,its humanly impossible, can you clearify and thankyou if you can.

rojo

(Ret)
Well, one option for people (like me) who do not have huge hands like Rachmaninov did, is to roll them. Or, worse case scenario, one can leave out doubled notes (or notes of lesser importance.) Shocking, I know.

And welcome here, johnkhristen!

johnkhristen

little hands

thanks for the hint maestro, but although i have come across the term "rolling the chord" many times im afraid im lost there, how does one roll a chord if you will,unless its a long journey for you to explain.as for me being a beginner maybe i should start at twinkle twinkle.

now where was middle c again..lol

rojo

(Ret)
:lol:

Well, rolling a chord means that instead of playing all of the notes of the chord together at the same exact time, one starts with the bottom note, and plays each of the notes of the chord one after the other, bottom to top. Generally, it's done quickly, and usually with the pedal depressed, holding the sound of all the notes so they can still be heard together once all the notes are played.

Are you suuure you want to start with a Rach. Concerto? lol

Bear in mind that Rach. had gi-normous hands...

Personally, I leave most of Rach.'s stuff to peeps with big hands; I find rolling the chords just doesn't portray the music as it should be, generally. Oh well.

Last edited:

johnkhristen

rachattack

thanks for the definition, i was watching a masterclass video and the maestro says that rolling the chord/s does not have the same impact, as you mentioned too,

i also came acros another discription about distributing the lower notes to the right hand and that doesnt work either because although that may solve the right hand problem, you also have the note/s below the base clef to play in combination with the treble clef..so how do i put those notes in.hmm ill work some way around it..thanks for the hints anyway maestro and give my regards to the rear admiral.

somehow i think rachmaninov done it to us on purpose.

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Here's another way besides rolling the chords ... :rolleyes:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBVe0qe83V0&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

Andrew Roussak

:lol:

Well, rolling a chord means that instead of playing all of the notes of the chord together at the same exact time, one starts with the bottom note, and plays each of the notes of the chord one after the other, bottom to top. Generally, it's done quickly, and usually with the pedal depressed, holding the sound of all the notes so they can still be heard together once all the notes are played.

Robin!!!!

My both thumbs up for explaining what does it mean to roll a chord!!!
I would normally use a term "arpeggio" for it. Speaking to a non-German public, I would wave my hands in the air in attempt to explain what I mean : " You know, not like this...but like this...arpeggio..." and so on. Looks pretty pitifully.

But now I know.....ROLL A CHORD!!!!!

Cheers
Andrew

rojo

(Ret)
Aw, thanks Andrew. :)

Sometimes a demonstration is worth a thousand words. But since I haven't figured out how to get video demonstrations on the net yet, well, I gotta use words. :grin:

I might have used the term 'arpeggiated'; that would have saved me some trouble. :grin: But I wasn't sure that the poster would be acquainted with that term either.

That said, I need to amend my definition.

When playing rolled chords in cases when the pedal is not in use, generally each successive note should be held down, if possible. But this would not apply to the case that has been described.