PDA

View Full Version : *raises hand shyly....*

rhapsody89
May-19-2008, 04:43
I have a question ~ my husband inherited a Hammond organ from his Grandfather. The manual that came with it says it's a Commodore 300 series. Can anyone please tell me/us about this?

methodistgirl
May-19-2008, 05:01
I will try. Just get on google and look up Commodore 300 hammond.
Click on the fifth one on the list and you should find it. By the way,
welcome to the forum.
judy tooley

rhapsody89
May-19-2008, 05:14
Thank you methodistgirl. At the risk of sounding very ignorant ~ I followed your instructions, but ended up looking at some Castle?? I'm so sorry (and embarassed). I have looked a few other sites that I googled but they didn't help me. I just don't know much about organs. My husband took one organ class in college. I think that is why his Grandfather got so excited and gifted him the organ. I sure wish Grandpa were alive, I'd ask him my questions.

Contratrombone64
May-19-2008, 06:35
you can gut it, and set it up as a herbarium or aquarium if you lack musical talent.

I second Judy's comment "welcome" to the world's craziest place to hang out.

intet_at_tabe
May-19-2008, 06:51
you can gut it, and set it up as a herbarium or aquarium if you lack musical talent........

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Krummhorn
May-19-2008, 06:59
Well, I see that some have this definite "opinion" about Hammonds in general ... :lol:

Back on topic ... :whistle:

Hi rhapsody89,

Welcome to Magle International Music Forums.

Little information is available on the Hammond model you specify. About the only info I can find on it at this time, is that it might have been part of the "T" series of console, and has 25 pedals (flat). Does yours have two switches on the top for powering to 'on' or just one?

Wikipedia has some info on the Hammond Organ (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hammond_organ#B-3_.2F_C-3),
but doesn't mention the 300 Commodore specifically.

Have you tried to play this organ yet? Does everything seem to work?

I'll keep searching periodically - if we find applicable information about your request,
it will be posted in this thread.

Corno Dolce
May-19-2008, 11:18
Welcome aboard rhapsody89 - Please do make yourself feel right at home and stay for a spell.

That Castle you viewed is the Hammond Castle in Gloucester, Massachusetts.

Cheers,

Corno Dolce :tiphat::tiphat::tiphat::tiphat:

rhapsody89
May-19-2008, 15:39
Thank you! Wow, you're a helpful, friendly bunch of folks and funny too. The Wikipedia suggestion was a good one ~ why didn't I think of that? Yes, we've played it (well, tinkered is more like it). Sounds good to me, but I'm sure we have no idea what it can really do. It sounds nice and "churchy" (is that a word)?

Mat
May-19-2008, 15:52
I have Hammond B3 owners manual. But I guess it's not the thing you're looking for...

marval
May-19-2008, 16:03
Hello rhapsody89

Welcome to the magical world of Magle

Glad you could join us.

I am afraid I know nothing about organs, so my advice would be useless. But I wish you well in your quest.

Margaret

methodistgirl
May-19-2008, 16:23
I'm glad to have been of some help to you.
judy tooley

rhapsody89
May-20-2008, 06:04
After some investigation and thought maybe it would be best if we sold it or donated it to a community church. Does that seem disrespectful or ungrateful?? No other family members seem to have wanted it. Maybe it's not worth anything and Grandpa was just being funny?!? Hmmm...*scratches head thoughtfully.* We are a musically inclined family, we just favor the piano and vocal/choral music.

Krummhorn
May-20-2008, 07:50
Hi rhapsody89,

No, imho it is not being disrespectful for wanting to donate or sell this instrument. Sounds as if you are at a crossroads with this instrument ... keep it and let it gather dust, sell or donate it, or keep it and play it frequently. With your mentioned interest about favoring the piano and voice, it seems it might be more respectful if it is sold or donated, as Grandpa most likely would have wanted it used and played.

If it's any comfort, I saw one of those advertised on Craigs List for about $100 ... whether or not that is a fair market value, I haven't a clue. What can be "priceless" for one man can be "junk" for another.

intet_at_tabe
May-20-2008, 13:39
I have Hammond B3 owners manual. But I guess it's not the thing you're looking for...

Mat :tiphat:, great!!

You might make a good bargin here. You could trade the manual for the real thing, the Hammond B3 organ. Only remember to take a copy of the manual first :grin::grin::grin::grin:

Mat
May-20-2008, 13:43
Intet, I would really love to do that :grin::grin::grin:. But you know, it's not all that simple...

Andrew Roussak
May-20-2008, 21:17
After some investigation and thought maybe it would be best if we sold it or donated it to a community church. Does that seem disrespectful or ungrateful?? No other family members seem to have wanted it. Maybe it's not worth anything and Grandpa was just being funny?!? Hmmm...*scratches head thoughtfully.* We are a musically inclined family, we just favor the piano and vocal/choral music.

Hi Rhapsody89, and welcome here!

Now I want to pour a little bit oil in a fire.

If you have already opened your new treasure and have examined its guts ( i.e. what is inside ), you should have found out that the thing has got an electric motor. it is used in Hammond to rotate so called tone wheels, with the means of which the sound will be actually produced.

So, to cut the story short - this motor would need oil sometimes, like any other motor. The contact pairs ( not sure, but I believe there must be about 17 contact pairs per key by a B3 modification ) should be kept clean. In other words, the thing would need a certain maintenance, if you want to play it yourself , and if you want that it sounds properly.

Donating a Hammond to anybody is generally a brilliant idea, and your Grandpa would love it too. Man, why am I not your neighbour??? Can you somehow ship it to Germany???

Btw does this Hammond come alone, or with one another strange looking thing ( looks like a big wooden case; very heavy )? If yes - much respect to your Grandpa, because this thing - if you have it - is called Leslie. It contains an electric motor, a pair of rotating speakers, and an already mentioned wooden case. Can be sold OR DONATED together with the Hammond, or separately.

Once again - how about a shipment to Germany?

Truly Yours,http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_1_67.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZS)
Andrew

Flute'n'Pedal
May-20-2008, 21:28
Hi Rhapsody! I agree with Krummhorn that this instrument should be used. But before you give it away for someone else to use, consider these facts. Anyone who can play the piano can learn to play the organ also. Many people don't know if they like playing the organ or not because they've never really tried. Some people do learn to play the organ at a rather mature age, and enjoy it enormously. So please, be certain that you yourselves don't want to play the organ, before giving it away.

LlL

Mat
May-20-2008, 21:35
So, to cut the story short - this motor would need oil sometimes, like any other motor. The contact pairs ( not sure, but I believe there must be about 17 contact pairs per key by a B3 modification ) should be kept clean. In other words, the thing would need a certain maintenance, if you want to play it yourself , and if you want that it sounds properly.

Good point, Andrew. Surprisingly, I have also a book called "The Hammond B3, C3, A100 disassembly & restoration manual for non-technicians...":grin:

Donating a Hammond to anybody is generally a great idea. Man, why am I not your neighbour??? Can you somehow ship it to Germany???

Or to Poland?;)

Andrew Roussak
May-20-2008, 21:45
Or to Poland?;)

Man, I was the first to ask!!!!http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_1_36.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZS)

Andrew Roussak
May-20-2008, 21:53
Update to a previous post of mine.

I have just checked out this model in Ebay - if it is in a good condition, it must be worth 4500 USD now ( with Leslie ).

Now I am almost sure you have TO DONATE it, and I even know who could be a happy recipient of such donation...Should I give you an adress in Germany for a shipment??;););)

VERY truly yours,
Andrew

rhapsody89
May-21-2008, 00:06
Very valuable insight! Thank you, kind people. Just for fun, I think I'll try to post a picture of the organ. Andrew, I'm pretty sure we didn't inherit a lady named "Leslie" ~ for, if we had, I would have put her to work right away as a housekeeper and nanny (now that's an inheritance I'd sing about)!!! *insert "winking happy face"* because I'm not sure where to find one. However, upon examining the list of features in the pamphlet I do read the following: "Leslie Upper, Leslie Lower, Leslie Reverb, Leslie Chorale...." Apparently we've got a whole bunch ~ and you say they need to be "fed"...! Yikes!

methodistgirl
May-21-2008, 01:35
You are very welcome!:grin:
judy tooley

Krummhorn
May-21-2008, 06:50
rhapsody89,

Is this similar to the organ you have?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8jexocypA4

Andrew Roussak
May-21-2008, 10:26
....Now that is the thing you own, right?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Hammond-Commodore-Organ_W0QQitemZ150249026033QQihZ005QQcategoryZ1621 9QQcmdZViewItem

intet_at_tabe
May-21-2008, 11:42
Intet, I would really love to do that :grin::grin::grin:. But you know, it's not all that simple...

Mat :tiphat::clap:

Remember the old adverb: Where there´s a will, there´s a way!!

Mat
May-21-2008, 11:49
Thank you, Intet:tiphat:. You're absolutely right.

intet_at_tabe
May-21-2008, 11:59
Thank you, Intet:tiphat:. You're absolutely right.

Mat :tiphat:

From out of pure curiosity, what would you pay for a new Hammond B3 organ in Poland???

Mat
May-21-2008, 14:03
For my dear friend Intet:tiphat:

Hammond B3-classic ~ 50,000,00PLN (~23,255,00USD)
Hammond B3-portable ~ 50,000,00PLN (~23,255,00USD)
Hammond B3-ultimo exclusive ~ 80,000,00PLN (~37,209,00USD)

rhapsody89
May-21-2008, 14:56
rhapsody89,

Is this similar to the organ you have?

Yes.

I was going to take a picture of ours but I'm waiting for my husband to put the big pedal attachment back on it first (we put that away from the children so they wouldn't "dance" on it).

Oh! Hey, look! There's the emoticons...I found them.:clap: I guess they don't show up in the "quick reply."

Krummhorn
May-21-2008, 16:37
For my dear friend Intet:tiphat:

Hammond B3-classic ~ 50,000,00PLN (~23,255,00USD)
Hammond B3-portable ~ 50,000,00PLN (~23,255,00USD)
Hammond B3-ultimo exclusive ~ 80,000,00PLN (~37,209,00USD)

Wow, Mat ...

Is that the going price in Poland that everyone would have to pay?
We have US cars that are cheaper priced than that :lol:

Mat
May-21-2008, 16:51
Wow, Mat ...

Is that the going price in Poland that everyone would have to pay?

Well yes, pretty much:mad:. But remember. Hammond is not as popular in Poland as in the U.S. I think that's the main reason of these high prices... I'm not surprised I can't afford to buy even the cheap one. And yes, where I live I could also buy a car at this price.

And what is the average price in the States??

Krummhorn
May-21-2008, 16:55
Hi Mat,

I've seen the better ones on eBay from $4,000 to $8,000 - those always include the Leslie. I imagine at even that price, the shipping to Poland would be almost prohibitive as those old tone wheel organs are, as I recall, quite heavy.

Mat
May-21-2008, 17:06
4,000 for new Hammond B3????? Wow, That is cheeeaaap:clap::clap::clap:

Krummhorn
May-21-2008, 17:26
Well, it's not "new", but rather "refurbished" ...
There is one on eBay (http://cgi.ebay.com/Restored-Hammond-B3-Leslie-CHURCHES-LEASE-TO-OWN_W0QQitemZ160239768160QQihZ006QQcategoryZ16219Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem) for about $8k.

Hammond re-introduced the B3 in 2002 or 2003 ... however it is a digital version (http://www.hammondorganco.com/B3.htm), sans the old tone wheels. Holy crap ... to my surprise it's expensive ... msrp of nearly $25k USD. Well, you were right ... my eyes just got opened, again. :crazy:

Mat
May-21-2008, 18:26
Too bad...

Well, I've got a question.

Main sound source in most of the Hammond models are tone wheels, right (The tone is being produced as the tone wheels rotate)? And those new Hammonds (for example new B3) don't have tone wheels [?]. So, is there much difference between old ones and new ones when it comes to the tone color??

Krummhorn
May-22-2008, 00:42
I think what Hammond has done, is capture the old tone wheel "sound" and recorded it into a digital format, then store it on memory chips.

Similar to what other electronic manufacturers, like Allen for instance, that have taken pipe samples and recorded each note individually, then saved that sound "image" digitally.

The sound will appear to the be the same, but the method on how that sound is produced has changed.

Andrew Roussak
May-22-2008, 14:03
Too bad...

Well, I've got a question.

Main sound source in most of the Hammond models are tone wheels, right (The tone is being produced as the tone wheels rotate)? And those new Hammonds (for example new B3) don't have tone wheels [?]. So, is there much difference between old ones and new ones when it comes to the tone color??

Hi Mat,

for the case you are really interested - one can buy a REALLY CHEAP old Hammond on Ebay - Germany. This will not be necessary a B- or C- modification - rather E, A, M, L series. Then you will have to find a technician who can give a new life to an instrument. It is absolutely possible - kinda you buy an oldtimer ( a car produced 50 or like yrs. ago ) and then restore it. The whole affair can cost app. 1000 Eur. Just visit ebay.de...

To your question - I was several times on Hammond presentation they make on the Frankfurt Music Fair ( Musikmesse, app. 15-20th of March every year ). So, a new B3 is an electronic version of an old one ( in a way other clones like Roland VK, Korg CX, Oberheim OB, Hammond XK are ). That is, tone wheels are modelled and synthesized. I can honestly tell you - many of these clones are that sophisticated made, that I do not hear any difference. May be some Hammond purists do. For my years, even the software version of Native Instruments B4 II sounds absolutely acceptable.

Another question is, that every Hammond - due to a unique amount of leakage , keyclick etc. - have a somewhat unique sound. All new electronic B3s must sound the same - that is the point to have YOUR OWN OLD INSTRUMENT, which does not sound like any other. Of course, there is also a little bit of a story behind every Hammond....

Mat
May-22-2008, 14:54
Krummhorn, Andrew - thank you very much for your help, guys:tiphat:.

Andrew,

I am a big fan of the Hammond organ and the whole sound concept. I did some searching, too. I saw different models on ebay and on Allegro (Polish counterpart of ebay). However, in my current situation I cannot afford to buy neither new nor used/refurbished instrument...:cry:.

Musikmesse, yes. I was planning to go there this year with bunch of my friends, but couldn't do that because of the last few, very busy months. So, you say one can find Hammond on the Music Fair? Is there a lot of other keyboard-related stuff there? I sincerly hope that I am going to make it to next year Frankfurt Muic Fair. Who knows, maybe we'll meet:grin:

Best regards,
Mat

Corno Dolce
May-22-2008, 18:40
Oh yes - The "Frankfurter Musik Messe" - What a cool happening!!!

Andrew Roussak
May-23-2008, 17:36
Krummhorn, Andrew - thank you very much for your help, guys:tiphat:.

Andrew,

I am a big fan of the Hammond organ and the whole sound concept. I did some searching, too. I saw different models on ebay and on Allegro (Polish counterpart of ebay). However, in my current situation I cannot afford to buy neither new nor used/refurbished instrument...:cry:.

Musikmesse, yes. I was planning to go there this year with bunch of my friends, but couldn't do that because of the last few, very busy months. So, you say one can find Hammond on the Music Fair? Is there a lot of other keyboard-related stuff there? I sincerly hope that I am going to make it to next year Frankfurt Muic Fair. Who knows, maybe we'll meet:grin:

Best regards,
Mat

Hey Mat,

Musikmesse is an event of a year for lots of musicicans and music fans! It is worth a visit anyway. They have two VERY LARGE halls for keyboards/software companies only. So you can find there actually everything you might have an interest to - KORG, Roland, Hammond, even Moog, Clavia...Lots of it. You may try yourself any of these instruments or get it presented by a company personal.

One another highlight is a piano hall , where only pianos are presented - from Samick to Steinway ( ;) ), all sizes....All are playable for everyone.

Hammond ( the European section of it, which has its HQ in Holland ) has always a separate stand in a keyboard hall with a presentation cabin and live shows.

So, if you go there in 2009 - surely we can arrange a meeting !! Living within an hour from Frankfurt ( with a car ) I have a natural advantage , so I spend a day on the Messe every year since 2001!!:)

Mat
May-23-2008, 18:34
Wow, that is wonderful!! Two halls for keyboards only. That would be like going to heaven for me:grin::grin::grin:. And you say one can have a try at each instrument. Gorgeous. :clap:

Andrew, thank you very much for the provided info. It makes me wanna go even more now. So, I will do everything I can to be there next year;).

Yours truly,
Mat:tiphat::tiphat::tiphat:

rhapsody89
Jun-02-2008, 07:09
Well, I've tried and I can't seem to put up a picture of the organ on here. Oh, well.

I must say, I've enjoyed reading your comments. Thank you for sharing your knowledge of the Hammond organ. Thank you for your polite invitations to stay and chat. I honestly wish I had something of value to contribute to your discussions. I recognize that I am way out of my league here. I feel a bit like one who accidentally wandered into someone's fancy dinner party. I'm overcome by the urge to slip out before anyone notices that I'm underdressed in my jeans and T-shirt (so to speak).

If only we could send this organ to Mat or Andrew. I've decided, instead, that I will search for a local recipient who resembles both of you in knowledge and passion for such things. This instrument should definitely be played by someone who cares and it should not become a home to fish or plants!

Mat
Jun-04-2008, 11:05
Dear rhapsody89,

You are most welcome. We are doing our best here:). I'm glad we could be of help. And there is absolutely no reason for you to feel "like one who accidentally wandered into someone's fancy dinner party". We are happy to have you here. So please enjoy your stay:):):)

Dear Adrew,

I have one more question about the Musikmesse for you;). I know you have been to the MM far more than once (every year since 2001?). Can you tell me wheter there is a lot of drums-connected stuff and if one can buy something at low, bargain prices:grin:? I've been looking for a crew I could go to the Musikmesse next year with, and one of them asked me about this drums stuff. So I'd be grateful for any information or for a link where I coud find out something more.

Best regards,
Mat:tiphat::tiphat::tiphat:

Andrew Roussak
Jun-04-2008, 22:37
I recognize that I am way out of my league here. I feel a bit like one who accidentally wandered into someone's fancy dinner party. I'm overcome by the urge to slip out before anyone notices that I'm underdressed in my jeans and T-shirt (so to speak).

Hi Rhapsody 89, ( if only you read it ), terribly sorry once again about the diagnosis of your husband. If you once have time, desire, opportunity, then you are very welcome here. It is a place where you can discuss almost everything , not only pipe organs and Leslie speakers.

Btw, if I would have to choose an appropriate outfit to appear at MMIF party one day, guess it would be rather jeans and T-Shirt ( with a Hammond logo on it ).

I have one more question about the Musikmesse for you;). I know you have been to the MM far more than once (every year since 2001?). Can you tell me wheter there is a lot of drums-connected stuff and if one can buy something at low, bargain prices:grin:? I've been looking for a crew I could go to the Musikmesse next year with, and one of them asked me about this drums stuff. So I'd be grateful for any information or for a link where I coud find out something more.

Hi Mat,

now to our professional interests...:) Yes, I did not miss a single one MM since 2001. Every year I say to myself - this time I will stay at home! - but there is always a bunch of reasons to go there. So I go...

Drums - there is a drum hall at MM ( can't recall now where it is exactly, guess near to gtr & bass hall ) - with drums only. It is extremely loud there, as you surely know, an average drummer is a mentally sick person, who use to think - the louder, the better...So these guys gather there together and have lots of fun!!!
I have never bought anything on MM myself, but I have heard about such things - some companies really may want to sell some exhibits, so that they don't have to transport them back. But, to do it, you have to be there on the last day of MM anyway. And bargain...;)
If your guys don't want to wait almost a year for the next MM - take a look here: www.thomann.de (http://www.thomann.de), the most reliable partner in Germany, the prices are good. They also have an English version of the site, and I guess they would ship to Poland too ( it is EU now ).
From my side, I would recommend www.ebay.de (http://www.ebay.de) too, many sellers would ship
"to Europe" - they have such an option - and you can find there absolutely everything. If I need a reference about any price for myself, or want to buy any equipment, I would normally visit these two webs.
Hope it helps - CU at MM!!!;)

Mat
Jun-04-2008, 23:30
Thank you very much, Andrew!!!!:tiphat::tiphat::tiphat:

Now I know what to tell my drumer-friend;).

From what you wrote I can assume that MM is far more better than I thought it was.

So, I'll do my best to go there next year:grin:.

Thanks once again.

Yours truly,
Mat

intet_at_tabe
Jun-05-2008, 12:45
Thank you very much, Andrew!!!!:tiphat::tiphat::tiphat:

Now I know what to tell my drumer-friend;).

From what you wrote I can assume that MM is far more better than I thought it was.

So, I'll do my best to go there next year:grin:.

Thanks once again.

Yours truly,
Mat

Hi Mat :tiphat::clap:

It seems you had alot of very good ideas from all the guys here. Now you "must" go next year to the Musik Messe to find a Hammond B3 organ for you.

Best of luck!!

Mat
Jun-05-2008, 12:52
Intet my dear Danish friend,

You just know what's the best for me... And you're right:grin::grin::grin:

Maybe you would join me (us)??

As you can see it's worth going. And look at the drums section. You could choose something, too:)

intet_at_tabe
Jun-05-2008, 16:38
Intet my dear Danish friend,

You just know what's the best for me... And you're right:grin::grin::grin:

Maybe you would join me (us)??

As you can see it's worth going. And look at the drums section. You could choose something, too:)

Dear Mat :tiphat:

I have a much more profitable arrangement in mind for the both of us. We go to the Musik Messe, buy your Hammond B3 organ for a reeasonable price in Euro, you know I am a good salesman "Selling sand in the Sahara", and then have it send back to your house or the future hall, where you will give strategic commands by the Polish buiscuit, and then for you and me will go to the Copenhagen Jazz Festival 2009 in July.

I would not advice you to bring me to the drums section, we might never reach Copenhagen? But don´t worry, I will bring my old drum sticks.

How does that sound my friend? :tiphat::clap:

Mat
Jun-05-2008, 20:51
Intet:tiphat:,

That sounds great. Your creativity overwhelms me;););). Good to hear that you're willing to go to the MM. So, let me tell you what we're gonna do. Since we both know that you are succesful "seller of the sand" (not only sand; not only seller:grin:), I will bring with me €200 and you'll do the whole price-negotiating thing. After the Hammond is bought, we will go to the drums section for litlle shoping to buy some equipment for ya. And then we will enjoy the Copenhagen Jazz festival.

Are you okay with that?

intet_at_tabe
Jun-06-2008, 07:11
Intet:tiphat:,

That sounds great. Your creativity overwhelms me;););). Good to hear that you're willing to go to the MM. So, let me tell you what we're gonna do. Since we both know that you are succesful "seller of the sand" (not only sand; not only seller:grin:), I will bring with me €200 and you'll do the whole price-negotiating thing. After the Hammond is bought, we will go to the drums section for litlle shoping to buy some equipment for ya. And then we will enjoy the Copenhagen Jazz festival.

Are you okay with that?

Cool buddy!!:tiphat::clap:

Clavier
Aug-23-2008, 19:29
Hey friends, I'm sorry if I'm a little late to the 'party', but I feel that it is duty to inform you all that the Hammond in question, if it is in fact, a "Commodore" model is NOT a classic Hammond with tonewheel generator like you all had supposed. The instrument the oringinal poster refers to was built several years after Hammond had done away with the TW generator. It should only be worth about US$100-$200 In perfect working order. If anyone has any questions about this feel free to ask. I will try to get back soon. Good luck!