(bread) roll about laughing ...

Contratrombone64

Admiral of Fugues
This is a snippet from an article I read in the Sydney Morning Herald ... the sentiments I fully support.

WAITERS, take note. Do not dare to remove plates, cups or glasses while I am still at table in your establishment. Do not hover, mute and eagle-eyed, anxiously awaiting a chance to surreptitiously snatch away my remaining piece of bread roll, half-finished drink, or waiting dessert, while I am engaged in conversation with my partner or friend. Well-bred folk understand that a course is only finished when cutlery is placed together on the plate - not when the diners foolishly take their eye off the contents of their table for one fleeting moment.
When did such rudeness intrude? Is there a training school for this behaviour? Is it included in your contract of employment? Is it to deter patrons from occupying the tables for too long - enjoying a chat, relaxing, or savouring the meal?
Or have you never been taught manners by your parents? In the world of the marketplace, work, pubs and clubs, manners have become a debased currency, and those who subscribe to them are seen as a subservient, or fool.
Sadly, courtesy, sensitivity, and above all, respect, has been replaced by indifference

marval

There is nothing more annoying than waiters hovering about waiting to snatch your plates. It always make me feel that they book too many people, so they want you to hurry your meal. Just so they can have someone else to follow. I suppose they don't make money if the same people sit at a table all night. But if I book a table for 7 o'clock, I do not want someone hinting at 8 or 8.30 o'clock that it is time for me to leave.

A meal out should be a relaxed and leisurely affair, time to savour the food and atmosphere. Allow me to enjoy my evening and I will return. Rush me and I might not.

Margaret

methodistgirl

They do that at my church when we have a dinner and I hate it. I would
like to be able to talk to my friends while I eat and take my time. But
when a certain time rolls around one of the older ladies come around and
start clearing the tables. I needed some salt for my BBQ and before I
could use it this lady all ready cleared the table!:rolleyes:
judy tooley

marval

Hi Judy

I think that is too quick. people should be able to digest their food properly. If they have a dinner at your church, it should start early enough that it won't finish late, and you can enjoy chatting and take your time eating. An event like that is a social occasion as well.

Margaret

Muza

The Plate Snatchers! Hillarious. lurking around the restaurant, eyeing an innocent pray...only to pray on its dinner, mwuahahaha - That does sound creepy ;)

And yes, what is up with that? What is up with some waiters in general - they are so rude! (very little number of them, but when they are rude - they are Ruuuuudee!) We were having a brunch ones, at a good restaurant at Vegas mind you, and this waiter totally screws everything up, takes forever to bring our foods, flirts with some girls while serving on us, then flat out asks for a tip... How does that even make sense to him, I do not know!

methodistgirl

You don't know this but I used to work at a snack bar. I was the one
who took care of the dishes. I did have the manners to wait until that
person was done and left. The tips would be pretty good and sometimes
more than what I got paid. So it pays better to wait.
judy tooley

Contratrombone64

Admiral of Fugues
Judy - I've been to the States, and eaten at one of those delightful places that look like a railway carraige converted into a cafe, great fun and good food.

As to a movie called "the plate snatchers ..." maybe it'll break records at the box office *clutches his sides*