What did you want to be

marval

When I was a child I wanted to be an opera singer.
I expect it was the thought of dressing up and entertaining people. What I obviously didn't realise was that to be an opera singer, you had to be able to sing. :):):)

I sang in two school choirs, but I expect it was to make the numbers look good. I do enjoy singing but it's best done in the privacy of my own home.

So guys, what did you want to be? Did anyone end up fulfilling their childhood dream?

Margaret

methodistgirl

I had my childhood dreams shattered after my third grade teacher said
that I would amount to nothing. I gave up after that. That is one thing
that teachers and parents should avoid is telling that child that they
won't amount to nothing. If I was still a kid and growing up now I would
want to be one of those musicians who are very famous. I got fussed at
for wanting to do that growing up.
judy tooley

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
I wanted to be a Concert Organist ... turned out to be an Organist who plays Concerts, so guess ½ of my dream was fulfilled.

marval

Well done to you Krummhorn, some of your dream fulfilled.

I am sorry your dreams were shattered Judy, teachers should never tell pupils they will amount to nothing. They should concentrate on what that pupil is good at. But you play musical intruments, so I think you have done very well. Be proud of your achievements and don't dwell on what might have been.

Margaret

Corno Dolce

Admiral Honkenwheezenpooferspieler
I was told by several fourth-grade teachers that I would never amount to anything. Man, that did hurt! My dream was to be a freelancing organist/singer, which is what I do now.

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
That's gotta hurt bigtime, Judy and Corno Dolce.
What's with that anyway ... wonder what compelled two different teachers in vastly different regions, tell their pupils that they will amount to nothing. I always though grammar school was to give encouragement and praise, not knock students morale into the basement.

Corno Dolce ... great that your childhood dreams were fulfilled - hopefully you sent that 4th grade teacher a rotten raspberry :lol:

Corno Dolce

Admiral Honkenwheezenpooferspieler
Dear Master Krummhorn,

Those fourth grade teachers didn't stick around long enough to see what I became. They would never have understood the "rotten raspberry".

Cheers,

CD :tiphat::tiphat::tiphat::tiphat:

Contratrombone64

Admiral of Fugues
I had no real desires as a youngster but, generally, I knew music was my thang. Not getting caught up in the fact that you've not attained "the Met" or "the Sydney Symphony" or the "New York City Ballet" (whatever) should not hinder your ability to express your music, or ballet, or art and bring pleasure to others.

Muza

I remember at my kindergarten "graduation" all of us were asked what we wanted to be. And while the rest of the kids named professions as lawyer, teacher, doctor, firefighter and such, I said "Artist", a painter. ;) And I truly dont know why I said that or would ever say that, cause I was really bad at drawing and hated all the assignments that involved drawing, and still am, haha.
But I am an artist in many other ways now ;)

marval

Well teachers should not be negative.

But a bad comment didn't do Fred Astaire any harm after all someone said the following.

"Can't sing. Can't act. Balding. Can dance a little."

He managed alright.

Perhaps Muza, it was the first thing that came into your head. I wonder how many of the other pupils actually ended up being Lawyers, Teachers or doctors.

Margaret

methodistgirl

I was one of those kids with a learning disability and back in the sixties
teachers didn't know how to deal with it. I still have a very hard time
trying to learn things. I'm trying to teach myself a second language
and it's gonna to take more time than usual to learn it. I have ADD,
and also a very slow learner. I flunk more than I pass when I go to
any school.
judy tooley

Contratrombone64

Admiral of Fugues
Judy - you're very amusing here, that's for sure. I think you may have found an expressvie niche, yes? As to learning a second language, you don't need to be fluent (I know enough Danish to be dangerous), the odd phrases are a good start.

Muza

Haha, you are probably right, Margaret, but what a random thing to come to one's head! Especially when all your childhood you are being brought up on a notion that you have to become a doctor, etc.

By the way, in recent studies, when kids were asked what they wanted to be - most responded "a rockstar" or a "model", with absolutely no mention of your regular high prestige jobs, like lawyers, doctors, firefighters, rocket scientists... I found that amazing (kinda in a disturbed way though)

And yeah, it is certainly not cool for a teacher to be discouraging, but one has to realize his/her own potential/interests/whatever and has to move on from those comments. Teachers in Russia can be very mean and condescending, but its a real world - if you grow up everyday thinking how smart and brilliant you are and then get thrown into the world when no one cares - I wonder which is the worst - the positivity or the negativity of a teacher (to a very limited extent of course).

methodistgirl

Judy - you're very amusing here, that's for sure. I think you may have found an expressive niche, yes? As to learning a second language, you don't need to be fluent (I know enough Danish to be dangerous), the odd phrases are a good start.

Thank you Contra. I appreciate that you are giving me a lift in my
ego and giving me some encouragement.
judy tooley

rojo

(Ret)
I had no real desires as a youngster but, generally, I knew music was my thang. Not getting caught up in the fact that you've not attained "the Met" or "the Sydney Symphony" or the "New York City Ballet" (whatever) should not hinder your ability to express your music, or ballet, or art and bring pleasure to others.
Same story over here. Music was, is, and always will be my be all and end all. Nothing else comes close. I really don't have much interest in anything else. But I never had any 'grand desire' to 'become' something. Ambition is not one of my strong points. :rolleyes: :crazy:

Serassi1836

In the order, I have dreamed to be:
  1. Orchestra director
  2. Mason
  3. Fireman
  4. Painter
  5. Policeman
  6. Pianist
  7. Journalist
  8. Navy officer
  9. and now: Maths teacher and organ player.
:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Contratrombone64

Admiral of Fugues
LOL @ margaret

Serassi1836 ... I think mathematics teacher and organist is a fine aspiration.

by the way - what DOES 1836 in your net name mean?

greatcyber

I wanted to be an astronaught first and then I wanted to be a surgeon. I wasn't very good in math but loved science. I spent a lot of time as a youth in my back yard with my telescope. Then, the wondrous adults around me told me that both of these careers would involve a lot of math and that I would never be able to achieve it.

Dream busters are not very nice. I can at least know that one day karma will pay them back. After all, one really CAN accomplish just about anything they set their mind to.

In the end, computers became my career...even with not being a math wizard.

Music and entertainment have always been a passion of mine and now have re-entered my life.

Stephen