Phoenix has landed on Mars

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Just in ....

NASA confirms that the landing was successful on Mars @ 16:55 (MST).
After a 10 month wait, NASA is overjoyed at this news.

Our local University of Arizona will be performing lots of the projects and experiments for this Mars lander.

Muza

Wohoo, go NASA.

Speaking about NASA, has anyone read Deception Point by Dan Brown? If you havent....dont!!! ;)

marval

Well, it will be interesting to see what they find out about Mars.

Perhaps they will find Beagle2, Professor Colin pillinger's probe, He built it at the Open University, just down the road from me, but sadly it disappeared.

No Muza, I haven't read Deception Pont, I haven't read any of his books.

Margaret

Contratrombone64

Admiral of Fugues
No intention of making Dan Brown any richer than he already is for his unoriginal books I'm afraid Muza, no criticism on your choice of author by the way.

As to landing on Mars ... how many millions of dollars did this little venture cost and all the silly probe can do is dig a hole and analyise the dirt ... then when winter set in it'll freeze to death.

Muza

Oh absolutely none taken - but how will you ever know what is good literature/author and what isnt unless you read it? YOu cant always rely on the general opinions, cause those are most of the times very divided and confusing anyways. If you read the post, you must have noticed my advise to NOT read the book....EVER ;). Seriously, it was pretty bad. My parents in law check out russian books from library, and the book just happened to be available and I like easy reading literature for public transportation, before and after work. (I gave Brothers Karamazov a try once....not a good combination with public transportation, which tends to make me sleepy as it is ;) )

What do you guys think generally about this mission to Mars - the opinions are divided - is this a waste of money at a time when better uses can be found for that money on land or is this a progress for science? or perhaps both?

methodistgirl

I have this to say about that probe landing on Mars. The same money
could be used to help the poor and cure some of this sickness or help
some of our solders out with their equipment that needs replacing.
judy tooley

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
While I agree that we, as a nation, need to address the issues of the needy as well as do more medical research, I also believe that man's quest for knowledge about the universe we live in has some importance.

The jobs created by space exploration number in the tens of thousands, which also means that those people are helping to support our economy, too.

In rebuttal to soldiers needing equipment replacement/updating:
Having worked in a military manufacturing plant for almost 25 years, I can tell you that our US Soldiers do have the latest and greatest equipment available. Can't explain that any further without assuring permanent residency at Leavenworth ... :nut:.