• Welcome to the Pipe Organ Forum! This is a part of the open community Magle International Music Forums focused on pipe organs (also known as "church organs"), organists, organ music and related topics.

This forum is intended to be a friendly place where technically advanced organists and beginners (or even non-organists) can feel comfortable having discussions and asking questions. We learn by reading and asking questions, and it is hoped that the beginners (or non-organists) will feel free to ask even the simplest questions, and that the more advanced organists will patiently answer these questions. On the other hand, we encourage complex, technical discussions of technique, music, organ-building, etc. The opinions and observations of a diverse group of people from around the world should prove to be interesting and stimulating to all of us.

As pipe organ discussions can sometimes become lively, it should be pointed out that this is an open forum. Statements made here are the opinion of the poster, and not necessarily that of the forum itself, its administrator, or its moderators.

In order to post a new topic - or reply to existing ones - you may join and become a member by clicking on Register New User. It's completely free and only requires a working email address (in order to confirm your registration - it will never be given away!). We strive to make this a friendly and informative forum for anyone interested in pipe organs and organ music.

(Note: If you wish to link to and promote your own website please read this thread first.)

Many kind regards
    smile.gif

Frederik Magle
    Administrator

Krummhorn
    Co-Administrator

Viscount 350

raymondo30837

Hi, I am restoring this organ and want to fit a 32 key pedal board. The mechanical work is finished, however, to complete the electronic's I urgently need a complete circuit diagram. Help!!!:)

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Hi raymondo30837,

The only thing I could find was this site which lists the different models and a contact point for possibly obtaining the wiring diagram you describe.

There is also the possibility that the Viscount Organ company website might be able to help you on your quest.

The 3rd option is installing a "midi" pedalboard. These are shown on this site and may be another option should obtaining wiring diagrams become difficult or impossible.

Sometimes, complete wiring schematics are "proprietary" for an organ manufacturer. I worked with Allen Organs for years, and their drawings, even for the first digital organs (1972) are still proprietary information, although there might be some "bootleg" copies (illegal, of course) hanging around the bowels of the internet.

I'll keep searching as time permits - hopefully another member here might have additional information.

raymondo30837

Hi Kh, Many thanks for your info and effort. I will e-mail Viscount and test the water! It would be nice to modify the existing organ (I'm a retired electronics engineer). I know about midi, but how you would connect midi to a non midi device I don't know. However I am sure there must be an alternative way to solve the problem. My regards Raymond

raymondo30837

Encore Kh, I have also emailed the site you included. Many thanks my friend. I will let you know how I get on. Regards Raymond (An old organist)

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Hi Raymond,

From one old organist to another, glad to have been of assistance in this quest.
Keep us posted on how things continue to go for this project.

I think it's great that you have taken on this kind of project - we all need something of value to do in our retirement years ... besides moderating music forums, I still play every week in church and volunteer my time in a church [synod] owned thrift store.

Did you pick this instrument up in non-working condition?

raymondo30837

Hello again Kh, Many thanks for your assistance. I have found what I wanted from Bill Greenhill (service manual) It will be my pleasure to report the progress of this project as it unfolds. Here I am 71, still very active. I am English retired in the south of France. I aquired this organ for use in the house, but I want a full pedal board. It is in good working order and I need the schematics to effect the conversion. Regards M8, I will keep in touch. Raymond:)

[edit] PS: Hi yet again Kh. I have worked out how to post pics on the forum, so my message was not needed:) Raymond

Last edited by a moderator:

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Hi Raymond,

Nice picture - thanks for posting the image in the MIMF Gallery to share with all the members here :up:.

Hey, that's really super that you got hold of a service manual so quickly - I like success stories.

raymondo30837

Hi, Further info. Yesterday I recieved by e-mail a complete set of circuit diagrams from Viscount. Together with a nice reply to my request. Clearly, very helpfull Organ builder's. Today I recieved a service manual from Bill Greenhill also a very helpfull commercial source of info. A bit belt and braces but refreshing. Special thanks to Krummhorn.:):););)

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Hi Raymond,

That's really great news to hear ... three :cheers: to Viscount for their kind assistance - a rarity for sure amongst electronic/digital organ builders.

Please keep us informed of your progress ... and :tiphat: for the accolades.

raymondo30837

Hi Kh. Some progress to report. After carefull study of the circuit diagrams I have decided on a midi interface between the pedalboard and organ. I have aquired a pedalboard encoder from Sound Research in CA, this fits the bill. I am still working on the detail. However, I have fitted the reed switches and magnets to the pedal board (home made), pics to follow later. I have used leaf springs to adjust pedal tension allowing for fine adjustment to pedal wieght. Regards Raymond.:cool::cool::)

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Hi Raymond,

You are making great progress on this project ... does using a midi interface for the pedalboard cut down on the number of wires that would ordinarily be required?

raymondo30837

Hi again Kh. Difficult one to answer at this time. Although I have decided to use the midi interface I have not yet decided what to do about the voicing of the pedals. At this time I am setting up the pedalboard with the aid of my Yam dgx200 synth. This could be an option for eventual voicing. Regards Raymond:(;):)

raymondo30837

Hi, I am delighted to report that the Pedalboard is now working. I did however have a minor setback after a few hours playing! One of the magnets fell off:)

All the work that went into making it has paid off.

However, I now intend to refit the original one octave pedalboard to the viscount and use the 32 note one to make a virtual pipe Organ. Perhaps an ambitious, but facinating project. The bug has bitten:)

Regards Raymond

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Hi Raymond,

Ahh, got the bug for a virtual organ ... Musicalis, a member here, will be able to help you on that one.

Wonder if you could do XLR connector plug-in option that would enable you to use the 32 note pedalboard on either instrument ... might give you more versatility, especially if you wanted to have the benefit of 32 notes on both configurations.

raymondo30837

Hi Kh, That sounds an interesting idea but I must admit I do'nt understand!

First off, what is XLR?

Second, How could the pedal board be physically associated with two Organs? Please expand.

Regards Raymond:):)

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Hi Raymond,

XLR [extra long run] connector plugs (click here) are use mostly in audio sound systems for mics and such. Because of their design, connections latch firmly, unlike the usual RCA connector plugs.

Was just thinking that if some kind of audio plug was used, you would have the option of using the extended pedalboard on either instrument as opposed to being hard wired.

I've done digital organ installations (in many years past) on a performing stage where there were permanent speakers mounted on fly pipes. When the organ was need on stage, all they had to do was wheel it out and connect the colour coded XLR plugs and all was good. When not connected to the stage plugs, the organ console was located in a practice room and headphones were used.

raymondo30837

Hi Kh, Thanks for your info. Something else to think about! At this time I am very happy with the old Viscount + 32 note pedalboard. However (to keep an interest in modern technology) I am continuing to look at virtual pipe organs, to recapture the sounds, as much as possible.

Regards Raymond